• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Constant Speed Prop for O-360 - PA-18 Experimental

We have a c/s Hartzell on the cub, came off a cherokee 6 years ago and was cut down, rounded, cut some more, squared, rounded etc until it would spin up.
Maule spinner on it and heavier than most on the nose. It's been on the cub since 1983, 160HP 0-320. On floats - Edo 2000's - with one person and half tanks there is no slide, comes up out of the water and flies off. With a load there is a slide but it really comes off well and just climbs. Don't have to lower the nose, just hold back pressure and up you go. at 24 squared in calm air on floats the GPS usually shows 106-110. Figure 7.5 to 8 gallons/hr. Just got to make sure the oil temp is up so you can cycle the prop on cooler mornings. MT looks great and so much lighter if starting from scratch. The firewall has a box cut out for the governor, otherwise pretty stock certified cub.

Thanks for all the input folks. I’ve sent an inquiry to Hartzell about the Trailblazer. Waiting to hear what they have to say. I’m set up for a PCU5000X rear mounted governor so am sticking with a hydraulic prop…for now. The electric prop looks interesting though.

Doing the original wish list for this build I considered the MT reversible prop. Thought that would be very useful on floats. When I did my seaplane rating I talked to the DPE about it. He had flown with several guys in their aircraft with the reversible prop. He said none of them used that feature on floats because the loss of airflow over the rudder made maneuvering a bit too interesting/unpredictable. It sure looks handy in videos I’ve watched but it’s a hefty price to pay if usefulness is limited.

Thanks for all the input folks. I’ve sent an inquiry to Hartzell about the Trailblazer. Waiting to hear what they have to say. I’m set up for a PCU5000X rear mounted governor so am sticking with a hydraulic prop…for now.

You may want to research the minimum governing speed of the prop/governor combination you are considering. A high minimum governing speed may impact your engine out (but still turning) glide performance. The Trailblazer with Hartzel governor is full flat pitch (maximum drag) at best glide speed.

The ground adjustable Sensenich is a nice compromise. I can go 105 mph and in 10-15 minutes adjust to win a STOL contest.

I don’t have personal experience with the 3 blade mt on an 0-360 cub, but I do with a 2 blade on an 0470, and I’ve known of a three blade on a scout and a husky with 360’s. I would most definitely NOT put the 3 blade on your plane…. Personally I wouldn’t consider an mt at all. The 2 blade was underwhelming on the 470, and the scout and husky were both dogs with the 3 blades. I’d be looking at the hartzell.

Brian,

What engine is spinning your MTV-15B? I don’t have very radical pistons, at 9:1, but the guy at MT in FL recommended the 3 blade with bigger hub because of the engine. I’d rather have a 2 blade but don’t want to have any engine/prop combination issues.

When I bought my other MT they recommended the 2 blade. I went with a 3 blade because that plane is tail heavy and I didn’t want to take that much weight off the nose. The 3 blade was just a couple pounds lighter than my old 2 blade prop.

We have an O-360 spinning it.

I don’t have personal experience with the 3 blade mt on an 0-360 cub, but I do with a 2 blade on an 0470, and I’ve known of a three blade on a scout and a husky with 360’s. I would most definitely NOT put the 3 blade on your plane…. Personally I wouldn’t consider an mt at all. The 2 blade was underwhelming on the 470, and the scout and husky were both dogs with the 3 blades. I’d be looking at the hartzell.

Parts of this I disagree with and parts I agree with.

I agree, I would not put a 3 blade MT or Hartzell on HOWEVER, I would put a 2 blade MT Ultra on, its an amazing prop. I run around with a bunch of other Husky’s and we have Original MT 2 blade, MT Ultra’s, Hartzell Trailblazers and metal Hartzell’s, the Ultra’s are the best performers in all categories followed by the Trailblazer and original 2 blade MT. For a 4 cylinder Lycoming powered Husky, Scout or Cub type airplane in my experience the MT Ultra is the best choice followed by the original 2 blade MT and Trailblazer.

Thanks for all the input folks. I’ve sent an inquiry to Hartzell about the Trailblazer. Waiting to hear what they have to say. I’m set up for a PCU5000X rear mounted governor so am sticking with a hydraulic prop…for now. The electric prop looks interesting though.

Doing the original wish list for this build I considered the MT reversible prop. Thought that would be very useful on floats. When I did my seaplane rating I talked to the DPE about it. He had flown with several guys in their aircraft with the reversible prop. He said none of them used that feature on floats because the loss of airflow over the rudder made maneuvering a bit too interesting/unpredictable. It sure looks handy in videos I’ve watched but it’s a hefty price to pay if usefulness is limited.

We have had the MT reversible for 10 years and its a game changer on floats. Come into the dock sideways in a any wind. Turning in very tight quarters. Pull forward into a beach and start up in forward and back out when you are ready. Heeled into shore just start up in reverse and just put her in drive and away you go. Taxiing in shallow water and see something coming that you dont like just back up. Landed a little long in tight quarters flip it into R. List goes on and on.

Back