Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canada Border update 8/8/2021

Post Thanks / Like

Update for the Spring

Canada has opened several more Airporst of Entry (AOE's) here is the list as of 6/1/2022.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/op...erien-eng.html

The big one for those of us in MN is the reopening of Fort Frances both at the airport and on the water there. It is also huge to have Piney back open as this is a US/Canada shared airport and makes life easier.

To cross you no longer need a negative test. You also can/should put your passengers on your ArriveCan application. You still need to be prepared for a random Covid test and also have an isolation plan (hotel etc) prepped and ready. My friends have crossed using the App and CanPass and have had no major snags so far. I will be crossing this weekend and will update with any new info.

Fish on......
    Likes Amy, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Paul!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul,

Thanks for the information.

Do you know if the dock is workable at Fort Frances? There is a lot of high water up there.

Now if they can reopen Sand Point soon, then more of us would be even happier.

MartyC
    Thanks akmarty thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the update. I try to keep http://Fly2ak.com current, which of course includes Canadian AOE and related customs info.
    Likes jrussl, DENNY, Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been back and forth across the INL/Fort Frances border several times in the last few weeks and except for a two hour wait north bound last saturday not to bad
    You have to comply with the arrivecan app and if you fly the us makes you provide a negative test for rentry to the US
    If you test positive you must quarentine for 14 days
    Likes mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have two friends who cleared into the U.S. in the last week. Neither had to provide proof of any Covid test.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MartyC;827327]Paul,

Thanks for the information.

Do you know if the dock is workable at Fort Frances? There is a lot of high water up there.

Now if they can reopen Sand Point soon, then more of us would be even happier.

MartyC[/QUOT

Talked to a friend that went down to Ft Frances on Monday, he said the town docks were still unusable, water running through the buildings at the Sportman's water base.

Post Thanks / Like
    Runway51. Thanks for the update.

Post Thanks / Like
    TED WALT
    You are correct BUT.........that only applies if you are driving across the border,,,crossing by land.
    If you fly a commercial flight or a private flight you have to get a rapid antigin negative test and if you test pos you have to quarnnnntinnnneeee

Post Thanks / Like
    Rainey and Lake of the Woods are still rising

Downpour yesterday backuped all floatplane ops in Kenora you need rubber boots for the floatplane dock

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry sir. Both reported crossings into the U.S. were by private plane. A Super Cub and at a different spot day & time a C-180.

I know that individual customs officers have wide discretion. Perhaps they made exceptions. But neither pilot nor pax had to provide proof of any Covid test.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like different customs offices have different interpretations of the rules.
    Kinda like different FSDO's.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple recently informed me they cleared into Canada via Del Bonita, with no problems. Said the strip was in decent shape.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple notes on crossing last week at Fort Frances and return through I Falls.

We crossed on straight floats in a Beaver with 4 guys. CanPass and Arrive Can were used and hold times were minimal. I filed the night before which seems to help quite a bit on hold times though my arrival call was answered in less than 5 minutes. Makes me think staffing is back to decent levels. ArriveCan asks for vax cards but does not request a recent test. You scan the card and passport and all pax and pilot can go on one arrival in the app. Don't ferget to write down your Arrive Can app confirmation number as you need to give that on arrival.

Water on river was very high. They had it sandbagged on both sides and only usable docks are floaters. The Canada Customs dock was partially underwater near shore and current was very fast in river. I was gald we had a heavy plane as the current and wind were both strong. They were happy to see us at the bait store (remember no bait of any kind can cross now). Canpass release as I said was quick and easy.

Return was equally painless. Other than EAPIS filing malaise, it went quick. I am thinking of moving to Easy EAPIS app on my phone to make it easier and will note how well that works v the clunky manifest site the gov has. We gave our notice call on the Sat phone and we hit our time within a few minutes. They asked for N Number, decal number on the aircraft and pilot certificate number of PIC on the notification call. They didn't ask for the EAPIS filing number which always puzzles me. Customs was waiting on shore for us when we pulled up. Dock was decent but we had to park down current and wind to get gas and it was a struggle to get it out. The walkway to the shore was about 2-3 feet under so plan on getting wet or yelling your info across to the agent. Fuel was tough to get to the plane but showed up and we improvised and kept all dry. No vax proof was asked for online or in person by the US side of the house.

Camp is open and ready finally after a late spring. Looking forward to getting up there as soon as my floats get out of the paint shop. I applied for a new customs decal for my 180 and was able to print a confirmation of it with a decal number to carry in the plane the same day.
    Last edited by Paul Jackson; 06-08-2022 at 09:30 AM.
    Likes MartyC, tedwaltman1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Helped sandbag in Ranier yesterday rising waters are slowing down most think things will start to get better

Post Thanks / Like
    Cleared customs in CYLW - Kelowna BC today. Pretty painless, just called on landing and they cleared me in. Planning on CYZQ - Quesnel then Ft. St. John and Ft. Nelson for tomorrow. All reports seem to indicate fuel availability at those spots, but I guess I'll find out.

The only hiccup was that Seattle FSS gave me a 1210 squawk for border crossing when I called to open my flight plan, then when I called Seattle center for vfr flight following they gave me a different one and told me to cross the border on it. Then Pinecton radio wanted me back on 1210 when I crossed. Not sure how that's supposed to play out.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the update. I do know “they” closely monitor the lower 48 border airspace. Never quite understood how that is important while Alaska border has no transponder requirements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quesnel was good for fuel, just pull up to the pump and self serve the usual Canadian ~ $3 per liter. Also had a nice pilot lounge building with restrooms and a few concessions.

On advice from friends I turned east at the "Peace Reach" lake from lake Williston instead of flying the trench on my first AK ferry, electing to spend the night in Ft. Nelson instead of MacKenzie or Prince George.

Ft. St. John was a bit of a hassle. The pseudo ATC radio operator seemed to have no idea where I could get 100LL and my attempts to contact the FBO by phone days prior were not answered. So I ended up parking near the airline terminal by the grass south of the airline apron because they have some kind of hangup about entering the airline operations area, yet they want you to park right by it. The FBO eventually sent a fuel truck but the guy overfilled the wings and spilled fuel all over the airplane then scratched the wing with the fuel nozzle. FBO had restrooms but nothing more. I wouldn't recommend it, especially outside of normal business hours.

Ft. Nelson had fuel as well, no tiedown space that I could find though.

Tomorrow just Watson Lake and Whitehorse on the itinerary. I was considering carcross since it's closer to the lodge we are staying at in Tagish, but was warned against it. Supposedly there is a chance of vandalism at Carcross airport? Probably just going to park the plane at Whitehorse.
    Last edited by Narwhal; 06-20-2022 at 10:39 PM.
    Thanks KevinJ, flylowslow thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dawson Creek S of Fort St John has both grass “runway” and self serve.

Carcross is an EXCELLENT stop. Ed and Dorthy, long time residents at the strip, are SUPER friendly. Excellent food at both the coffee shop in the mornings and the Bistro afternoon and evenings. No issues camping at Carcross whatsoever. Good internet access. Info verified three weeks ago.

info on Prince George is on my website. As is info and detailed Trench landing spots!

All the details and info re Carcross, Dawson Creek, et cetera on http://Fly2ak.com
    Likes Narwhal, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedwaltman1 View Post
    Thank you for the update. I do know “they” closely monitor the lower 48 border airspace. Never quite understood how that is important while Alaska border has no transponder requirements.
    Lack of low altitude radar?
    N1PA
    Likes tedwaltman1, mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Watson Lake had 100LL but the fuel terminal was a bit temperamental. It kept saying "pump not available" even though I was following the instructions and making sure the lever was off before starting. I had to call the radio operator out and he came and did something at the tanks that made it work. Might not be ideal after hours. This is in-line with what Ted has on fly2ak.com about Watson, so not unexpected.

Whitehorse CYXY apparently has no tiedowns due to construction so you just have to park on the ramp by the fuel pumps. Top off option doesnt seem to be available, just a dollar amount or specified liters. Maybe you could find some grass to tiedown with your own stakes, but I didn't ask about that since it doesn't seem to be that windy. Also the gate to get out of the area by the fuel pumps is about 300 yards away and up a hill by one of the multiple fire stations. Not a big deal, BUT not very obvious to find the gate out and kind of nerve racking having to walk by the airline apron and attracting security attention to get to the gate.

I'm going to roll the dice on weather cooperating for skagway tomorrow morning, then go Skagway-Cordova municipal-Anchorage on Thursday if I can determine fuel availability in Cordova, otherwise I will stretch my range to Valdez for fuel. Skagway customs said no need to call 2 hours prior since I called the day prior unless the schedule changes, but I probably will anyway just to be sure.
    Last edited by Narwhal; 06-21-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhal View Post
    Top off option doesnt seem to be available, just a dollar amount or specified liters.
    Every self serve I have used allows entry of only dollars or gallons. Simply specify a quantity greater than you will need and you pay for only what you pumped. What you enter is simply a pre-authorization amount.

Your ferry flight home seems to be more of an adventure than mine was. I have never, ever, let anyone fill my FX-3 and you now know why.

Hope the reset of your flight is uneventful.
    Likes Narwhal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With the new ArriveCAN app, do I still need to call the 1888canpass number before entering Canada like prior years?

Whats a recommended place to stay the night at Watson Lake? Shuttle or taxi available from the airport?

thanks!
    Likes toklat$1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Skagway customs was very painless and the flight from whitehorse to skagway was probably the most scenic part kd the trip so far. Haines fuel by appointment worked well even though I had to push my appointment back an hour about 5 hours prior, friendly folks. Good to be back in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by AKjurnees View Post
    With the new ArriveCAN app, do I still need to call the 1888canpass number before entering Canada like prior years?

Whats a recommended place to stay the night at Watson Lake? Shuttle or taxi available from the airport?

thanks!
    Yeah, I still had to call Canada before departure and then again after landing as indicated on fly2ak.com, in additon to filling out the ArriveCan app. On the phone they asked a bunch of questions about cannabis, alcohol, and weapons and asked a lot of detail about the airplane registration and crew credentials.

Can't speak to transport/accomodatuons at Watson Lake as we made it a fuel stop only. There were hotels obviously but we didn't research it.
    Thanks AKjurnees thanked for this post
    Likes AKjurnees, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Last report no water at Watson Lake. Nice camp spot at Gazebo there. Carcross is an excellent overnight stop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I crossed yesterday at Coutts/Sweetgrass on the way N. You can get thru on unvaxed status but you’d better have a good reason. Ted and the gentleman he’s helping were an hr ahead of me and got the land, call, write down code and get out of here treatment. I got the drug dog…..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACEBDF3A-4308-4094-9B88-43C55B70E1D6.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	61535
    Nice folks. Dog went and sh$t in the rhubarb patch then ran off chasing a ground squirrel. Canadians can’t even get good help these days
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2969C955-78A0-47FE-83A8-B1DA8DF404F2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	61540
    After a ride to the station and two hrs of foreign national paperwork I was allowed to head on my way.

The strip there is mowed and in good shape. There were a couple gopher holes midfield that would be rough on 8.50s.

Teds been a couple hrs ahead of me and been a great help on weather and fuel stop reporting. What a resource!
    Thanks gdafoe thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Canadian Customs in Prince George was easy. Called in and they gave us a confirmation number….that’s it.

We got denied though eapis for Northway, for us, Because of staffing shortage. We got permission to land at Gulkana for fuel then had to go to Anchorage for Customs. Northway inspection times are normally 0900 and 1500.

Watson Lake hotel Big Horn Inn was ok, 80’s retro but clean and quiet. There’s a Taxi in town that will pick up a the airport.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin,
    Do you have NEXUS/trusted traveler status? Did you have firearm(s)? Asking because I’ve never had other than cursory checkout @ that crossing, both ways.
    If one doesn’t have the NEXUS card and does have guns, it always slows things up. Not having NEXUS in general Invites delay.
    Also, if there are firearms, having a CPB exit receipt for them and bringing same gun/serial no. each time into Canada greatly expedites crossings in both directions.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...programs/nexus

J
    Last edited by JohnnyR; 06-26-2022 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Kevin,
    Do you have NEXUS/trusted traveler status? Did you have firearm(s)? Asking because I’ve never had other than cursory checkout @ that crossing, both ways.
    If one doesn’t have the NEXUS card and does have guns, it always slows things up. Not having NEXUS in general Invites delay.
    Also, if there are firearms, having a CPB exit receipt for them and bringing same gun/serial no. each time into Canada greatly expedites crossings in both directions.

J

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyR View Post
    Kevin,

J
    No guns or weapons. It was all because of the non vax status under an essential worker exemption. Lots of theater for nothing. Give it a few more months and it will all magically go away reverting back to common sense…..maybe