• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Canada Border update 8/8/2021

Watson Lake had 100LL but the fuel terminal was a bit temperamental. It kept saying "pump not available" even though I was following the instructions and making sure the lever was off before starting. I had to call the radio operator out and he came and did something at the tanks that made it work. Might not be ideal after hours. This is in-line with what Ted has on fly2ak.com about Watson, so not unexpected.

Whitehorse CYXY apparently has no tiedowns due to construction so you just have to park on the ramp by the fuel pumps. Top off option doesnt seem to be available, just a dollar amount or specified liters. Maybe you could find some grass to tiedown with your own stakes, but I didn't ask about that since it doesn't seem to be that windy. Also the gate to get out of the area by the fuel pumps is about 300 yards away and up a hill by one of the multiple fire stations. Not a big deal, BUT not very obvious to find the gate out and kind of nerve racking having to walk by the airline apron and attracting security attention to get to the gate.

I'm going to roll the dice on weather cooperating for skagway tomorrow morning, then go Skagway-Cordova municipal-Anchorage on Thursday if I can determine fuel availability in Cordova, otherwise I will stretch my range to Valdez for fuel. Skagway customs said no need to call 2 hours prior since I called the day prior unless the schedule changes, but I probably will anyway just to be sure.

Last edited:
Top off option doesnt seem to be available, just a dollar amount or specified liters.

Every self serve I have used allows entry of only dollars or gallons. Simply specify a quantity greater than you will need and you pay for only what you pumped. What you enter is simply a pre-authorization amount.

Your ferry flight home seems to be more of an adventure than mine was. I have never, ever, let anyone fill my FX-3 and you now know why.

Hope the reset of your flight is uneventful.

With the new ArriveCAN app, do I still need to call the 1888canpass number before entering Canada like prior years?

Whats a recommended place to stay the night at Watson Lake? Shuttle or taxi available from the airport?

thanks!

Skagway customs was very painless and the flight from whitehorse to skagway was probably the most scenic part kd the trip so far. Haines fuel by appointment worked well even though I had to push my appointment back an hour about 5 hours prior, friendly folks. Good to be back in the USA.

With the new ArriveCAN app, do I still need to call the 1888canpass number before entering Canada like prior years?

Whats a recommended place to stay the night at Watson Lake? Shuttle or taxi available from the airport?

thanks!

Yeah, I still had to call Canada before departure and then again after landing as indicated on fly2ak.com, in additon to filling out the ArriveCan app. On the phone they asked a bunch of questions about cannabis, alcohol, and weapons and asked a lot of detail about the airplane registration and crew credentials.

Can't speak to transport/accomodatuons at Watson Lake as we made it a fuel stop only. There were hotels obviously but we didn't research it.

Last report no water at Watson Lake. Nice camp spot at Gazebo there. Carcross is an excellent overnight stop.

I crossed yesterday at Coutts/Sweetgrass on the way N. You can get thru on unvaxed status but you’d better have a good reason. Ted and the gentleman he’s helping were an hr ahead of me and got the land, call, write down code and get out of here treatment. I got the drug dog…..
ACEBDF3A-4308-4094-9B88-43C55B70E1D6.jpg
Nice folks. Dog went and sh$t in the rhubarb patch then ran off chasing a ground squirrel. Canadians can’t even get good help these days:p
2969C955-78A0-47FE-83A8-B1DA8DF404F2.jpg
After a ride to the station and two hrs of foreign national paperwork I was allowed to head on my way.

The strip there is mowed and in good shape. There were a couple gopher holes midfield that would be rough on 8.50s.

Teds been a couple hrs ahead of me and been a great help on weather and fuel stop reporting. What a resource!

Attachments

• ACEBDF3A-4308-4094-9B88-43C55B70E1D6.jpg
    ACEBDF3A-4308-4094-9B88-43C55B70E1D6.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 2969C955-78A0-47FE-83A8-B1DA8DF404F2.jpg
    2969C955-78A0-47FE-83A8-B1DA8DF404F2.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 63
Canadian Customs in Prince George was easy. Called in and they gave us a confirmation number….that’s it.

We got denied though eapis for Northway, for us, Because of staffing shortage. We got permission to land at Gulkana for fuel then had to go to Anchorage for Customs. Northway inspection times are normally 0900 and 1500.

Watson Lake hotel Big Horn Inn was ok, 80’s retro but clean and quiet. There’s a Taxi in town that will pick up a the airport.

Kevin,
Do you have NEXUS/trusted traveler status? Did you have firearm(s)? Asking because I’ve never had other than cursory checkout @ that crossing, both ways.
If one doesn’t have the NEXUS card and does have guns, it always slows things up. Not having NEXUS in general Invites delay.
Also, if there are firearms, having a CPB exit receipt for them and bringing same gun/serial no. each time into Canada greatly expedites crossings in both directions.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/nexus

J

Last edited:
Kevin,
Do you have NEXUS/trusted traveler status? Did you have firearm(s)? Asking because I’ve never had other than cursory checkout @ that crossing, both ways.
If one doesn’t have the NEXUS card and does have guns, it always slows things up. Not having NEXUS in general Invites delay.
Also, if there are firearms, having a CPB exit receipt for them and bringing same gun/serial no. each time into Canada greatly expedites crossings in both directions.

J

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Kevin,

J

No guns or weapons. It was all because of the non vax status under an essential worker exemption. Lots of theater for nothing. Give it a few more months and it will all magically go away reverting back to common sense…..maybe

Sand Point Lake Canadian Customs is open for float plane traffic. We flew there and entered Canada last Thursday, 5/18. It was the pre-COVID business as usual; Arrive Can was not required, just your Passport. There was a glitch returning to USA via Crane Lake. The CBP ROAM phone app was not working at Crane Lake, so we ended up using Scott's Seaplane Base Kiosk for reporting our entry back into the US. Sure is nice having the Sand Point Port of Entry up and running.

Back