• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Canada Border update 8/8/2021

Paul Jackson

PATRON
MN
T'was the night before border opening and all through the border states pilots are gathered by their computers to try to figure out the heck is next.

Here is what I have found:

Border is open on 8/9/2021

Exempted travelers are not required to quarantine but must present a suitable quarantine plan in case quarantine is required. You must participate in testing as required or requested. In other words, if asked you have to have a plan and you "may" get a random test.

Americans are exempted travelers if they meet the following criteria:

-be eligible to enter Canada on the specific date you enter (Usual DWI and other criteria prohibitions)
-have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19
-have received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of accepted vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, Janssen/Johnson & Johnson)
-have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada
Example: if your last dose was anytime on Thursday July 1st, then Friday July 16th would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
- You must upload your proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN app or website

Here's what you need to provide at port of entry:

-Use ArriveCAN to pre-register your arrival in Canada, uploading all required information (no sooner than 72 hours from arrival)
-Supply proof of a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure (all travelers)
-Fully vaccinated asymptomatic travelers that meet eligibility requirements for entry to Canada will be exempt from quarantine on arrival
-Follow Canada Customs procedures on arrival- Random COVID-19 screening will be conducted
-Follow provincial and territorial public health measures
-They are also requiring a Passport for arrival

ArriveCan is tailored for airline travel but we use it for General Aviation also.

When submitting your private flight information through ArriveCAN:
-Select “Other” in lieu of the “Airline” name
-Enter the name of the aircraft operator under “Other airline”
-Enter the aircraft tail number in lieu of the “flight number”

When you get a PCR test make sure it isn't the instant antigen version and it is one of the accepted versions on the website (most places know what's accepted for travel). Make sure you bring the piece of paper/electronic version with you that have the following:

When you arrive at the border, you must present an accepted test result (paper or electronic proof) which must include:

-Traveler name and date of birth
-Name and civic address of the laboratory/clinic/facility that administered the test
-The date on which the test was conducted
-The type of test conducted
-The test result

At this time it does not appear that there are many border facilities open. Contact your area's Canada border agency office to see what's open. For example north of MN Rainy River, Piney Creek, Fort Frances, and Sand Point are all showing closed. The best we have is Winnipeg and Thunder Bay showing open at this time. I have no information on when they plan on opening these smaller more convenient places for Americans to enter.

My buddy went across a couple weeks back as he is a Canuck on a green card here. He said they were happy as heck to see him in Thunder Bay and couldn't have been any nicer and the hassle factor was zero.

Let me know what you find and good luck.

Came through Canada 2 weeks ago enroute to Alaska (driving). While much has changed pay attention to the Yukon. Their website shows easing restrictions for citizens yet still shows the very strict travel requirements for traveling through to Alaska.

Also, I believe driving is the only way for entry into Canada at this time. Per a tel/con on July 22nd with Canadian authorities at Ft Frances, ON, entry by private aircraft and/or boats are not allowed at this time. Hopefully they will allow them in September, but it could be next year. Also, the remote Port of Entry at Sandpoint Lake will not open this year. So it may be a best practice contacting Canada Customs and Immigration before traveling.

MartyC

I should point out I only asked about the Ft. Frances Port of Entry and they are not allowing boats or seaplanes into Canada at this time. Maybe other Port of entry sites are.

MartyC

�������� Canada invited us in, an in we go! I talked with a couple outside my office who had been in line since 3:15am and from where they are have hours possibly to go. They confirmed it was 30-40minutes between moving forward. License plates from so many different states! Utterly amazing!

Note: This is the International Falls, MN to Fort Frances, ONT border crossing point. Wait times are 8 hours long at the moment. Cars are lined up over 2 miles.

Forwarded from a FB post, the video is enough for me to pass on Ontario fishing https://www.facebook.com/tricia.heibel/posts/10159350392904501

This is David Jaranson and I sitting in the same line in 2008. It was about three hours then on a "good" day so not surprised it takes forever now!

precovid.png

precovid2.png

Attachments

• precovid.png
    precovid.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7,532
  • precovid2.png
    precovid2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7,521
Last edited:
OK updated information from my trip this weekend.....Can I say shitshow on this forum?

Called on Thursday to talk to CANPASS to make sure I had everything set. Answer yes. You can fly in here as long as you have completed:

-Use ArriveCAN to pre-register your arrival in Canada, uploading all required information (no sooner than 72 hours from arrival)
-Supply proof of a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure (all travelers)
-Fully vaccinated asymptomatic travelers that meet eligibility requirements for entry to Canada will be exempt from quarantine on arrival
-Follow Canada Customs procedures on arrival- Random COVID-19 screening will be conducted

This is what I posted above and expected.

Plane is loaded and gassed and my brother in law and I are in the hangar. I did my EAPIS departure, filed a VFR flight plan, asked him if he had completed his ArriveCan app with all of his documents. Deer in headlights look. We will do this after we call CANPASS. Get the briefer after a 30 minute hold and tell her that we are planning on arriving Thunder Bay. She asks how many onboard and I say 2......she asks if we are both crew. I say no, one is a passenger and she says you cannot go to Thunder Bay you must go to Winnipeg Intl which is one of the five airports accepting international passengers. I said I am not a commercial flight and that I am a private flight not hire. She says it doesn't matter I have to go to Winnipeg with a passenger. I give her an arrival time not knowing that I now have a headwind of about 35 in my face the entire route. We complete the ArriveCan app with all of our docs scanned and sent and note the code on the App.

We made a gas stop in Thief River Falls and updated my really bad guess at arrival time off the top of my head to CanPass and change my VFR flight plan information and we are off again into the fan. Arrival ATIS in Winnipeg gives me a bit of a stir as it says they are not accepting VFR arrivals due to Covid (huh?). I don't ask and everyone on ATC keeps handing me off. Arrive Winnipeg a bit tired but hey I gassed in Thief so I won't have to buy that expensive Canada FBO gas.

Call CANPASS as I wave away the fuel truck and they ask for my ArriveCan confirmation number (don't lose that) and they chastise me for putting two people on one application. I noted it asked how many were in my party so I put two......he said the app is wrong and in the future each passenger has to do an application and get a confirmation. He then said OK here is your number and you are good to enter.....ahhh you made me fly 100 miles out of my way in a float plane and you are clearing me over the phone? Ok thanks.

Next surprise was the FBO who charged me fees on top of fees and $20C per quart of oil.....should have bought the case from Spruce at OSH for about the same amount. I filed a VFR flight plan as they require one to depart the controlled field. Did it on ForeFlight with a few clicks and some typing. I walked out of there $200C poorer and a bit crabby.

Jumped in the plane and called clearance and they had never heard of me. I noted a call from Manitoba coming in and answered it on my new Bluetooth capable headset(I did buy that at OSH). I had put myself down as an emergency contact and they wanted to correct that before they would file it. I noted I was ready to go and he said they require 30 minutes to file a flight plan.....um really? I noted to clearance that I was on file and he called me back 15 minutes later. Apparently they founda fast carrier pigeon to get my flight plan to clearance delivery.

Off we went as I realized every radio hand off was another fee and that my usual price of $100 per Walleye is going to be a bit higher this trip. Good news though we now had a quartering tailwind to our cabin just SE of Nestor Falls. Splashed in about 6 after arriving at the hangar at 10:30.

I called CANPASS tonight and they said that "general aviation" can operate to any of the 48 open Airport's of Entry and that the briefer was "confused" by my use of "private" aircraft. That is BS as their website says private aircraft are not for hire and are General Aviation by default. When I go again I am making sure that I note that I am "General Aviation" and this is not a for hire flight.

I also will make sure that each person uses their own ArriveCan application and that I bring my own oil in the float.

Fishing was great and the new place we are buying is amazing. Lots of hassle but in the end the $200 walleye tasted pretty good.

When ever I go to us with 2 people we are always crew no hassle minute u mention passenger more hassle

I tried to list two crew after I had said 1 passenger and she called me on it. She said a Cessna 180 needs two pilots? YMMV but I don't like messing with CANPASS on the phone and then facing the music later. I like the mystery solved before I leave.

Friend of mine just drove up to Alaska from Seattle a couple days ago. Lots of wild fires in Canada as well. Had to divert 300 miles to get around a problem area. Not sure where it was exactly but something to consider driving or flying.

Beware of CBSA officers making their own rules. For example the Health Canada Order in Council "Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations)" clearly states that crew members are exempt from testing and quarantine. Also if you follow the links on the CBSA website you'll find a list of people exempted from testing which includes "crew members of any aircraft."

However CBSA officers will will use two or three unpublished reasons to conclude your not a crew member... even if you're the only person in the aircraft!

By the way, the Order specifies the definition of crew member is per section 101.01 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations which is simply " a person assigned to duty during a flight"

I'd let the dust settle before going into Canada. Double standard. US citizens can go into Canada, Canadians cannot enter US for another month. Vandalism occurring on non residents vehicles. I'd think twice.

I was planning on flying into Canada this coming weekend. Going isn’t to bad but as usual coming back is just to much of a hassle. If your going for more than 3 days you have to have proof of a negative COVID test to re-enter the US! You can drive across the border back into the USA without a test but if your flying private you need to be tested. We were going to a remote lodge in Western Ontario.

Two things,
Canadians can enter the US by private aircraft.
2. The CDC order exempts the crew of aircraft, including private aircraft, from testing

The only problem I've had entering the US so far was caused by a shortage of CPB staff.

OK updated information from my trip this weekend.....Can I say shitshow on this forum?

Called on Thursday to talk to CANPASS to make sure I had everything set. Answer yes. You can fly in here as long as you have completed:

This is what I posted above and expected.

Plane is loaded and gassed and my brother in law and I are in the hangar. I did my EAPIS departure, filed a VFR flight plan, asked him if he had completed his ArriveCan app with all of his documents. Deer in headlights look. We will do this after we call CANPASS. Get the briefer after a 30 minute hold and tell her that we are planning on arriving Thunder Bay. She asks how many onboard and I say 2......she asks if we are both crew. I say no, one is a passenger and she says you cannot go to Thunder Bay you must go to Winnipeg Intl which is one of the five airports accepting international passengers. I said I am not a commercial flight and that I am a private flight not hire. She says it doesn't matter I have to go to Winnipeg with a passenger. I give her an arrival time not knowing that I now have a headwind of about 35 in my face the entire route. We complete the ArriveCan app with all of our docs scanned and sent and note the code on the App.

We made a gas stop in Thief River Falls and updated my really bad guess at arrival time off the top of my head to CanPass and change my VFR flight plan information and we are off again into the fan. Arrival ATIS in Winnipeg gives me a bit of a stir as it says they are not accepting VFR arrivals due to Covid (huh?). I don't ask and everyone on ATC keeps handing me off. Arrive Winnipeg a bit tired but hey I gassed in Thief so I won't have to buy that expensive Canada FBO gas.

Call CANPASS as I wave away the fuel truck and they ask for my ArriveCan confirmation number (don't lose that) and they chastise me for putting two people on one application. I noted it asked how many were in my party so I put two......he said the app is wrong and in the future each passenger has to do an application and get a confirmation. He then said OK here is your number and you are good to enter.....ahhh you made me fly 100 miles out of my way in a float plane and you are clearing me over the phone? Ok thanks.

Next surprise was the FBO who charged me fees on top of fees and $20C per quart of oil.....should have bought the case from Spruce at OSH for about the same amount. I filed a VFR flight plan as they require one to depart the controlled field. Did it on ForeFlight with a few clicks and some typing. I walked out of there $200C poorer and a bit crabby.

Jumped in the plane and called clearance and they had never heard of me. I noted a call from Manitoba coming in and answered it on my new Bluetooth capable headset(I did buy that at OSH). I had put myself down as an emergency contact and they wanted to correct that before they would file it. I noted I was ready to go and he said they require 30 minutes to file a flight plan.....um really? I noted to clearance that I was on file and he called me back 15 minutes later. Apparently they founda fast carrier pigeon to get my flight plan to clearance delivery.

Off we went as I realized every radio hand off was another fee and that my usual price of $100 per Walleye is going to be a bit higher this trip. Good news though we now had a quartering tailwind to our cabin just SE of Nestor Falls. Splashed in about 6 after arriving at the hangar at 10:30.

I called CANPASS tonight and they said that "general aviation" can operate to any of the 48 open Airport's of Entry and that the briefer was "confused" by my use of "private" aircraft. That is BS as their website says private aircraft are not for hire and are General Aviation by default. When I go again I am making sure that I note that I am "General Aviation" and this is not a for hire flight.

I also will make sure that each person uses their own ArriveCan application and that I bring my own oil in the float.

Fishing was great and the new place we are buying is amazing. Lots of hassle but in the end the $200 walleye tasted pretty good.

Boof that.

Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When looking at the CDC guidelines it stated private aircraft flight are not exempt from testing. Where did you get the understanding they are?

I should have added private aircraft flight crews are not exempt from testing. I did reach out to AOPA yesterday and have not heard back from them.

I read the CDC Order, and private aircraft were specifically included in the exemption.

Crew exempt but not passengers.

I crossed july 8th and july 24th with no test and no problem.

I had spoken directly with a superviser at international falls prior to the first trip and cleared both times at KCKC

Here's the relevent text from the currently published CDC order:

DEFINITIONS:
Aircraft shall have the same definition as under 42 U.S.C. 40102(a)(6). “Aircraft” includes, but
is not limited to, commercial, general aviation, and private aircraft destined for the United States
from a foreign country.
Aircraft Operator means an individual or organization causing or authorizing the operation of an
aircraft.

EXEMPTIONS:
The following categories of individuals and organizations are exempt from the requirements of
this Order:
• Crew members of airlines or other aircraft operators provided that they follow industry
standard protocols for the prevention of COVID-19 as set forth in relevant Safety Alerts
for Operators (SAFOs) issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)

Maybe clear to you, but “operators following industry standards as set forth in SAFO’s” leaves the door wide open to individual interpretation in my opinion.....

From the FAA website:

A Safety Alert for Operators (
SAFO) is an information tool that alerts, educates, and makes recommendations to the aviation community. This community includes air carrier certificate holders, fractional ownership program managers, and 14 CFRPart 142 training centers.

Im just saying, based on my experience, part 91 guy in a 180 may not get by based on this...

Back