Thread: Canada Border update 8/8/2021

Post Thanks / Like

Canada Border update 8/8/2021

T'was the night before border opening and all through the border states pilots are gathered by their computers to try to figure out the heck is next.

Here is what I have found:

Border is open on 8/9/2021

Exempted travelers are not required to quarantine but must present a suitable quarantine plan in case quarantine is required. You must participate in testing as required or requested. In other words, if asked you have to have a plan and you "may" get a random test.

Americans are exempted travelers if they meet the following criteria:

-be eligible to enter Canada on the specific date you enter (Usual DWI and other criteria prohibitions)
    -have no signs or symptoms of COVID-19
    -have received the full series of an accepted COVID-19 vaccine or a combination of accepted vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, AstraZeneca/COVISHIELD, Janssen/Johnson & Johnson)
    -have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada
    Example: if your last dose was anytime on Thursday July 1st, then Friday July 16th would be the first day that you meet the 14 day condition
    - You must upload your proof of vaccination in ArriveCAN app or website

Here's what you need to provide at port of entry:

-Use ArriveCAN to pre-register your arrival in Canada, uploading all required information (no sooner than 72 hours from arrival)
    -Supply proof of a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure (all travelers)
    -Fully vaccinated asymptomatic travelers that meet eligibility requirements for entry to Canada will be exempt from quarantine on arrival
    -Follow Canada Customs procedures on arrival- Random COVID-19 screening will be conducted
    -Follow provincial and territorial public health measures
    -They are also requiring a Passport for arrival

ArriveCan is tailored for airline travel but we use it for General Aviation also.

When submitting your private flight information through ArriveCAN:
    -Select “Other” in lieu of the “Airline” name
    -Enter the name of the aircraft operator under “Other airline”
    -Enter the aircraft tail number in lieu of the “flight number”

When you get a PCR test make sure it isn't the instant antigen version and it is one of the accepted versions on the website (most places know what's accepted for travel). Make sure you bring the piece of paper/electronic version with you that have the following:

When you arrive at the border, you must present an accepted test result (paper or electronic proof) which must include:

-Traveler name and date of birth
    -Name and civic address of the laboratory/clinic/facility that administered the test
    -The date on which the test was conducted
    -The type of test conducted
    -The test result

At this time it does not appear that there are many border facilities open. Contact your area's Canada border agency office to see what's open. For example north of MN Rainy River, Piney Creek, Fort Frances, and Sand Point are all showing closed. The best we have is Winnipeg and Thunder Bay showing open at this time. I have no information on when they plan on opening these smaller more convenient places for Americans to enter.

My buddy went across a couple weeks back as he is a Canuck on a green card here. He said they were happy as heck to see him in Thunder Bay and couldn't have been any nicer and the hassle factor was zero.

Let me know what you find and good luck.
    Thanks tedwaltman1, Alanfrease thanked for this post
    Likes Amy, DENNY, Colorguns, SJ, 180TigerCub and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Paul. Great write up.

Bill
    Very Blessed. "It's not an obsession, it's a passion"

Post Thanks / Like
    Came through Canada 2 weeks ago enroute to Alaska (driving). While much has changed pay attention to the Yukon. Their website shows easing restrictions for citizens yet still shows the very strict travel requirements for traveling through to Alaska.
    Likes bburns, Bowie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I believe driving is the only way for entry into Canada at this time. Per a tel/con on July 22nd with Canadian authorities at Ft Frances, ON, entry by private aircraft and/or boats are not allowed at this time. Hopefully they will allow them in September, but it could be next year. Also, the remote Port of Entry at Sandpoint Lake will not open this year. So it may be a best practice contacting Canada Customs and Immigration before traveling.

MartyC
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post
    Likes bburns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I should point out I only asked about the Ft. Frances Port of Entry and they are not allowing boats or seaplanes into Canada at this time. Maybe other Port of entry sites are.

MartyC

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the updates. I’ll get this info up on http://Fly2AK.com tomorrow.
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    �������� Canada invited us in, an in we go! I talked with a couple outside my office who had been in line since 3:15am and from where they are have hours possibly to go. They confirmed it was 30-40minutes between moving forward. License plates from so many different states! Utterly amazing!

Note: This is the International Falls, MN to Fort Frances, ONT border crossing point. Wait times are 8 hours long at the moment. Cars are lined up over 2 miles.

“We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Forwarded from a FB post, the video is enough for me to pass on Ontario fishing https://www.facebook.com/tricia.heib...59350392904501

“We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post
    Forwarded from a FB post, the video is enough for me to pass on Ontario fishing https://www.facebook.com/tricia.heib...59350392904501
    This is David Jaranson and I sitting in the same line in 2008. It was about three hours then on a "good" day so not surprised it takes forever now!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	precovid.png 
Views:	3898 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	57116
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	precovid2.png 
Views:	3853 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	57117
    Last edited by SJ; 08-09-2021 at 01:56 PM.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    OK updated information from my trip this weekend.....Can I say shitshow on this forum?

Called on Thursday to talk to CANPASS to make sure I had everything set. Answer yes. You can fly in here as long as you have completed:

-Use ArriveCAN to pre-register your arrival in Canada, uploading all required information (no sooner than 72 hours from arrival)
    -Supply proof of a negative PCR test result taken within 72 hours of departure (all travelers)
    -Fully vaccinated asymptomatic travelers that meet eligibility requirements for entry to Canada will be exempt from quarantine on arrival
    -Follow Canada Customs procedures on arrival- Random COVID-19 screening will be conducted

This is what I posted above and expected.

Plane is loaded and gassed and my brother in law and I are in the hangar. I did my EAPIS departure, filed a VFR flight plan, asked him if he had completed his ArriveCan app with all of his documents. Deer in headlights look. We will do this after we call CANPASS. Get the briefer after a 30 minute hold and tell her that we are planning on arriving Thunder Bay. She asks how many onboard and I say 2......she asks if we are both crew. I say no, one is a passenger and she says you cannot go to Thunder Bay you must go to Winnipeg Intl which is one of the five airports accepting international passengers. I said I am not a commercial flight and that I am a private flight not hire. She says it doesn't matter I have to go to Winnipeg with a passenger. I give her an arrival time not knowing that I now have a headwind of about 35 in my face the entire route. We complete the ArriveCan app with all of our docs scanned and sent and note the code on the App.

We made a gas stop in Thief River Falls and updated my really bad guess at arrival time off the top of my head to CanPass and change my VFR flight plan information and we are off again into the fan. Arrival ATIS in Winnipeg gives me a bit of a stir as it says they are not accepting VFR arrivals due to Covid (huh?). I don't ask and everyone on ATC keeps handing me off. Arrive Winnipeg a bit tired but hey I gassed in Thief so I won't have to buy that expensive Canada FBO gas.

Call CANPASS as I wave away the fuel truck and they ask for my ArriveCan confirmation number (don't lose that) and they chastise me for putting two people on one application. I noted it asked how many were in my party so I put two......he said the app is wrong and in the future each passenger has to do an application and get a confirmation. He then said OK here is your number and you are good to enter.....ahhh you made me fly 100 miles out of my way in a float plane and you are clearing me over the phone? Ok thanks.

Next surprise was the FBO who charged me fees on top of fees and $20C per quart of oil.....should have bought the case from Spruce at OSH for about the same amount. I filed a VFR flight plan as they require one to depart the controlled field. Did it on ForeFlight with a few clicks and some typing. I walked out of there $200C poorer and a bit crabby.

Jumped in the plane and called clearance and they had never heard of me. I noted a call from Manitoba coming in and answered it on my new Bluetooth capable headset(I did buy that at OSH). I had put myself down as an emergency contact and they wanted to correct that before they would file it. I noted I was ready to go and he said they require 30 minutes to file a flight plan.....um really? I noted to clearance that I was on file and he called me back 15 minutes later. Apparently they founda fast carrier pigeon to get my flight plan to clearance delivery.

Off we went as I realized every radio hand off was another fee and that my usual price of $100 per Walleye is going to be a bit higher this trip. Good news though we now had a quartering tailwind to our cabin just SE of Nestor Falls. Splashed in about 6 after arriving at the hangar at 10:30.

I called CANPASS tonight and they said that "general aviation" can operate to any of the 48 open Airport's of Entry and that the briefer was "confused" by my use of "private" aircraft. That is BS as their website says private aircraft are not for hire and are General Aviation by default. When I go again I am making sure that I note that I am "General Aviation" and this is not a for hire flight.

I also will make sure that each person uses their own ArriveCan application and that I bring my own oil in the float.

Fishing was great and the new place we are buying is amazing. Lots of hassle but in the end the $200 walleye tasted pretty good.
    Thanks tedwaltman1, Bill Rusk, siegel185, sjohnson, Akbushrat thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl, SJ, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When ever I go to us with 2 people we are always crew no hassle minute u mention passenger more hassle
    Likes hotrod180, skywagon8a, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, Thanks for informing us about your experience.

MartyC
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to list two crew after I had said 1 passenger and she called me on it. She said a Cessna 180 needs two pilots? YMMV but I don't like messing with CANPASS on the phone and then facing the music later. I like the mystery solved before I leave.
    Likes SJ, Bill Rusk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking one pilot and one navigator maybe.
    Dave

YOU NEVER KNOW

Post Thanks / Like
    gntw yes, always crew members!

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Friend of mine just drove up to Alaska from Seattle a couple days ago. Lots of wild fires in Canada as well. Had to divert 300 miles to get around a problem area. Not sure where it was exactly but something to consider driving or flying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beware of CBSA officers making their own rules. For example the Health Canada Order in Council "Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Quarantine, Isolation and Other Obligations)" clearly states that crew members are exempt from testing and quarantine. Also if you follow the links on the CBSA website you'll find a list of people exempted from testing which includes "crew members of any aircraft."

However CBSA officers will will use two or three unpublished reasons to conclude your not a crew member... even if you're the only person in the aircraft!

By the way, the Order specifies the definition of crew member is per section 101.01 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations which is simply " a person assigned to duty during a flight"
    C-fclr.blogspot.com
    Thanks Poor Joe, RVBottomly, 180Marty thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd let the dust settle before going into Canada. Double standard. US citizens can go into Canada, Canadians cannot enter US for another month. Vandalism occurring on non residents vehicles. I'd think twice.

Thanks 180Marty thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was planning on flying into Canada this coming weekend. Going isn’t to bad but as usual coming back is just to much of a hassle. If your going for more than 3 days you have to have proof of a negative COVID test to re-enter the US! You can drive across the border back into the USA without a test but if your flying private you need to be tested. We were going to a remote lodge in Western Ontario.
    Thanks 180Marty thanked for this post
    Likes RVBottomly liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Two things,
    Canadians can enter the US by private aircraft.
    2. The CDC order exempts the crew of aircraft, including private aircraft, from testing

The only problem I've had entering the US so far was caused by a shortage of CPB staff.
    C-fclr.blogspot.com
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jackson View Post
    OK updated information from my trip this weekend.....Can I say shitshow on this forum?

Called on Thursday to talk to CANPASS to make sure I had everything set. Answer yes. You can fly in here as long as you have completed:

This is what I posted above and expected.

Plane is loaded and gassed and my brother in law and I are in the hangar. I did my EAPIS departure, filed a VFR flight plan, asked him if he had completed his ArriveCan app with all of his documents. Deer in headlights look. We will do this after we call CANPASS. Get the briefer after a 30 minute hold and tell her that we are planning on arriving Thunder Bay. She asks how many onboard and I say 2......she asks if we are both crew. I say no, one is a passenger and she says you cannot go to Thunder Bay you must go to Winnipeg Intl which is one of the five airports accepting international passengers. I said I am not a commercial flight and that I am a private flight not hire. She says it doesn't matter I have to go to Winnipeg with a passenger. I give her an arrival time not knowing that I now have a headwind of about 35 in my face the entire route. We complete the ArriveCan app with all of our docs scanned and sent and note the code on the App.

We made a gas stop in Thief River Falls and updated my really bad guess at arrival time off the top of my head to CanPass and change my VFR flight plan information and we are off again into the fan. Arrival ATIS in Winnipeg gives me a bit of a stir as it says they are not accepting VFR arrivals due to Covid (huh?). I don't ask and everyone on ATC keeps handing me off. Arrive Winnipeg a bit tired but hey I gassed in Thief so I won't have to buy that expensive Canada FBO gas.

Call CANPASS as I wave away the fuel truck and they ask for my ArriveCan confirmation number (don't lose that) and they chastise me for putting two people on one application. I noted it asked how many were in my party so I put two......he said the app is wrong and in the future each passenger has to do an application and get a confirmation. He then said OK here is your number and you are good to enter.....ahhh you made me fly 100 miles out of my way in a float plane and you are clearing me over the phone? Ok thanks.

Next surprise was the FBO who charged me fees on top of fees and $20C per quart of oil.....should have bought the case from Spruce at OSH for about the same amount. I filed a VFR flight plan as they require one to depart the controlled field. Did it on ForeFlight with a few clicks and some typing. I walked out of there $200C poorer and a bit crabby.

Jumped in the plane and called clearance and they had never heard of me. I noted a call from Manitoba coming in and answered it on my new Bluetooth capable headset(I did buy that at OSH). I had put myself down as an emergency contact and they wanted to correct that before they would file it. I noted I was ready to go and he said they require 30 minutes to file a flight plan.....um really? I noted to clearance that I was on file and he called me back 15 minutes later. Apparently they founda fast carrier pigeon to get my flight plan to clearance delivery.

Off we went as I realized every radio hand off was another fee and that my usual price of $100 per Walleye is going to be a bit higher this trip. Good news though we now had a quartering tailwind to our cabin just SE of Nestor Falls. Splashed in about 6 after arriving at the hangar at 10:30.

I called CANPASS tonight and they said that "general aviation" can operate to any of the 48 open Airport's of Entry and that the briefer was "confused" by my use of "private" aircraft. That is BS as their website says private aircraft are not for hire and are General Aviation by default. When I go again I am making sure that I note that I am "General Aviation" and this is not a for hire flight.

I also will make sure that each person uses their own ArriveCan application and that I bring my own oil in the float.

Fishing was great and the new place we are buying is amazing. Lots of hassle but in the end the $200 walleye tasted pretty good.
    Boof that.

Thanks for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    When looking at the CDC guidelines it stated private aircraft flight are not exempt from testing. Where did you get the understanding they are?

Post Thanks / Like
    I should have added private aircraft flight crews are not exempt from testing. I did reach out to AOPA yesterday and have not heard back from them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I read the CDC Order, and private aircraft were specifically included in the exemption.

Crew exempt but not passengers.

I crossed july 8th and july 24th with no test and no problem.

I had spoken directly with a superviser at international falls prior to the first trip and cleared both times at KCKC
    C-fclr.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there some science that suggests it's wise to test passengers but not flight crew?

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the relevent text from the currently published CDC order:

DEFINITIONS:
    Aircraft shall have the same definition as under 42 U.S.C. 40102(a)(6). “Aircraft” includes, but
    is not limited to, commercial, general aviation, and private aircraft destined for the United States
    from a foreign country.
    Aircraft Operator means an individual or organization causing or authorizing the operation of an
    aircraft.

EXEMPTIONS:
    The following categories of individuals and organizations are exempt from the requirements of
    this Order:
    • Crew members of airlines or other aircraft operators provided that they follow industry
    standard protocols for the prevention of COVID-19 as set forth in relevant Safety Alerts
    for Operators (SAFOs) issued by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
    C-fclr.blogspot.com
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So pretty clear to me

Private flights come under the relm of "other operators"
    C-fclr.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe clear to you, but “operators following industry standards as set forth in SAFO’s” leaves the door wide open to individual interpretation in my opinion.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a link to the FAA SAFO with the industry standard protocols.

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia.../SAFO20009.pdf

One of the things it says is:

It is also recommended that fully vaccinated people with no COVID-19-like symptoms and no known exposure should be exempt from routine screening testing programs, if feasible. Crewmembers who recovered from COVID-19 in the past 3 months should also be exempt.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the FAA website:

A Safety Alert for Operators (
    SAFO) is an information tool that alerts, educates, and makes recommendations to the aviation community. This community includes air carrier certificate holders, fractional ownership program managers, and 14 CFRPart 142 training centers.

Im just saying, based on my experience, part 91 guy in a 180 may not get by based on this...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post

Im just saying, based on my experience, part 91 guy in a 180 may not get by based on this...
    Oh I don't disagree with that...

But the rules are pretty clear. According to the CDC order, general aviation pilots are crew members and should be exempt from testing if they follow the FAA SAFO guidelines, which are also clear.

That doesn't mean that border agents from either country are knowledgable about the CDC order or the FAA SAFO guidelines. There also isn't much you can do if the agent chooses to interpret the rules on a case by case basis with no consistency.
    Likes mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The rules references OSHA guidance, which is what the CDC used, I agree you might not have any trouble getting back in to the USA in a part 91 flight without having to prove you have had a negative COVID test in the last three days. I couldn’t get a straight answer if CBP can ask for it which I’m sure they can. But to claim a passenger is crew in a single engine part 91 flight could get you in trouble.

So if you wanted to be safe take the test in Canada if your there for more then 3 days. But what happens if you get a false negative test you are stuck in Canada for possibly days.

Remember you can drive across without having to worry about this. As expected I did not hear anything from AOPA which is really disappointing

Post Thanks / Like
    Canadians cannot currently enter the US by road, only by air. And of course we prefer to fly!

AOPA and COPA released an article last week and frankly it creates more confusion than it resolves... confusing the ground border and air border requirements for example.
    C-fclr.blogspot.com
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple other notes after talking to people. I used the words "private aircraft" rather than "general aviation" and noted I had a passenger. That triggered the CBP person to require me to go to Winnipeg instead of an AOE airport (Thunder Bay). Here is the guidance from their NOTAM:

AERONAUTICAL INFORMATION CIRCULAR 27/21

EXPANDED COVID-19 FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS FOR
    AIRCRAFT CARRYING PASSENGERS TO CANADA

Does the restriction apply to private general aviation aircraft?

General aviation (privately owned recreational aircraft that are not used for conducting business) are not
    restricted by this NOTAM. The pilot and passengers of recreational aircraft must land at an authorized Airport
    of Entry (AOE) that is open for Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) immigration and customs
    processing, and comply with all federal and provincial public health measures that may apply

Here is a current list of AOE's sorted by Province.....

CYYC Calgary Air Commercial Calgary AB AOE/CARGO
    CYYC Calgary International Airport Calgary AB AOE
    CYOD Cold Lake Airport (4 wing) Cold Lake AB AOE/M
    CEP4 Coutts/Ross International Airport Coutts AB AOE/15
    CYEG Edmonton International Airport Edmonton International Airport AB AOE
    CYEG Edmonton International Airport Commercial Office Edmonton International Airport AB AOE/CARGO
    CEQ4 Whetstone International Airport (Del Bonita) 100 metres south of the port of Del Bonita AB AOE/15
    CYXX Abbotsford International Airport Abbotsford BC AOE/15
    CYQQ Comox Military Base Airport (19 wing) Laslo BC AOE/M
    CYQQ Comox Valley Airport Comox BC AOE/15 AOE/CAN
    CYKA Kamloops Airport Kamloops BC AOE/30
    CYLW Kelowna International Airport Kelowna BC AOE/30
    CYCD Nanaimo Airport Nanaimo BC AOE/20
    CYPR Prince Rupert Airport Prince Rupert BC AOE/15
    CZSW Seal Cove Prince Rupert BC AOE/15/SEAPL
    CYVR Vancouver International Airport Commercial Operations Richmond BC AOE/CARGO
    CYVR Vancouver International Airport Passenger Operations Richmond BC AOE
    CYVR Vancouver International Airport River Landing Site Richmond BC AOE/15/SEAPL AOE/CAN/SEAPL
    CYVR Vancouver International Airport Small Aircraft Reporting Station Richmond BC AOE/25
    CYWH Victoria Inner Harbour CBSA Seaplane Terminal Victoria BC AOE/15/SEAPL
    CYYJ Victoria International Airport Sidney BC AOE/120
    S28 (FAA) International Peace Garden Airport / Boissevain (adjacent to Boissevain POE) MB AOE/15
    CYWG Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport Winnipeg MB AOE
    CYWG Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport - Commercial Section Winnipeg MB AOE/CARGO
    CZBF Bathurst Regional Airport South Tetagouche NB AOE/15
    CYCL Charlo Airport Charlo NB AOE/CAN
    CYES Edmundston Airport Saint-Jacques NB AOE/15
    CCR3 Florenceville Airport Florenceville NB AOE/15
    Not registered Fosterville Fosterville NB AOE/15/SEAPL
    CYFC Fredericton International AirportFootnote2 Lincoln NB AOE/55
    CCK3 Grand Falls Airport Drummond NB AOE/CAN
    CYQM Greater Moncton Romeo Leblanc International AirportFootnote3 Dieppe NB AOE/300
    CYSJ Saint John AirportFootnote7 Saint John NB AOE/120
    CYSL St. Leonard St. Leonard NB AOE/15/SEAPL
    CCS3 St. Stephen Airport Dufferin Charlotte Co NB AOE/15
    CYDF Deer Lake Regional Airport Deer Lake NL AOE/120
    CYQX Gander CBSA Office/Gander International Airport Gander NL AOE AOE/CARGO
    CYYR Goose Bay Airport (5 wing) Goose Bay NL AOE/15 AOE/M
    CYYR Goose Bay Otter Creek Goose Bay NL AOE/15/SEAPL
    CYYT St. John's International Airport St. John's NL AOE/165
    CYJT Stephenville International Airport Stephenville NL AOE/30
    CYZX Greenwood Aerodrome (14 wing) Greenwood NS AOE/M
    CYHZ Halifax Stanfield International Airport Enfield NS AOE
    CYQY JA Douglas McCurdy Sydney Airport Sydney NS AOE/44
    CYPD Port Hawkesbury Airport Port Hastings NS AOE/15
    CYAW Shearwater Aerodrome (12 wing) Shearwater NS AOE/M
    Not registered Sydney Harbour (Seaplanes) suite 100Sydney NS AOE/15/SEAPL
    CYQI Yarmouth Airport Yarmouth NS AOE/110
    CYZF Yellowknife Airport Yellowknife NT AOE/15
    CYFB Iqaluit Airport Iqaluit NU AOE/15
    CYTZ Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Toronto ON AOE/90 CAN/AIR AOE/15/SEAPL/90
    CYHM Hamilton CBSA Office/John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport Hamilton ON AOE/220
    CYGK Kingston/Norman Rogers Airport Kingston ON AOE/30
    CYKF Kitchener-Waterloo International Airport (Region of) Breslau ON AOE/180
    CYLS Lake Simcoe Regional Airport Oro Station ON AOE/24
    CYXU London CBSA Office/London International Airport London ON AOE/180 AOE/CARGO
    CYQA Muskoka Airport Gravenhurst ON AOE/15
    CYYB North Bay CBSA Office/Jack Garland Airport North Bay ON AOE/15
    CYOO Oshawa Executive Airport Oshawa ON AOE/50
    CYOW Ottawa Cargo Services (OCS) Ottawa ON AOE/CARGO
    CYOW Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport Ottawa ON AOE
    CYTA Pembroke Airport Pembroke ON AOE/M
    CYPQ Peterborough Airport Peterborough ON AOE/15
    CYAM Sault Ste. Marie Airport Sault Ste. Marie ON AOE/30
    CNE5 Springer Aerospace Echo Bay ON AOE/CAN AOE/CAN/SEAPL
    CYQT Thunder Bay International Airport Thunder Bay ON AOE/40
    CYYZ Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport - Terminal I Toronto ON AOE
    CYYZ Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport - Terminal III Toronto ON AOE
    CYYZ Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport Commercial Operations Toronto ON AOE/CARGO
    CYYZ Toronto Lester B. Pearson International AirportVista Cargo Terminal Mississauga ON AOE/CARGO
    CYTR Trenton (8 wing) Astra ON AOE/M
    CYQG Windsor Airport Windsor ON AOE/325
    CYYG Charlottetown AirportFootnote1 Charlottetown PE AOE/60
    CYHG Charlottetown Harbour Charlottetown PE AOE/15/SEAPL
    CYBG Bagotville (3 wing) La Baie QC AOE/M
    CYML Charlevoix Airport Clermont QC AOE/CAN
    CYQB Jean Lesage International Airport Quebec QC AOE
    CYHU Montreal St-Hubert Longueuil Airport Longueuil QC AOE/15
    CYMX Montreal-Mirabel International Airport Mirabel QC AOE/15 AOE/CARGO
    CYUL Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport Dorval QC AOE
    CYUL Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau: CommercialFootnote4 Dorval QC AOE/CARGO
    CYBG Saguenay-Bagotville Airport La Baie QC AOE/30
    CYRQ Trois-Rivières Airport Trois-Rivières QC AOE/15
    CYQR Regina International AirportFootnote5 Regina SK AOE/200
    CYXE Saskatoon John G. Diefenbaker International Airport Saskatoon SK AOE/200
    CKK3 Scobey Border Station Airport (Coronach)Footnote6 Coronach/Scobey SK AOE/15
    CJF5 West Poplar River Rockglen SK AOE/15
    CYXY Erik Nielsen Whitehorse International Airport Whitehorse YT AOE/50
    CEZ5 Schwatka Lake Whitehorse YT AOE/15/SEAPL

Post Thanks / Like
    Im hoping we can keep this thread alive with first hand experiences, so please share. There's going to be a big hangover associated with all of this and only public pressure will bring some sanity and accountability back.

Since July I've crossed several times between CYQT and KCKC. Apart from some initial misinterpretation and short staffing entering the US has been a pleasure. CBP has recognized the crew exemption each time.

Returning to Canada however I've been subjected to some truly outrageous behavior on the part of CBSA officers and to a lesser extent Health Canada officials.

All of it centers around ignorance of the rules, so basically CBSA officers make up their own. The end result is, even though the Order in Council (the prevailing current law)
    https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=41037&lang=en
    clearly states crew are exempt from testing, CBSA officers have concluded that crew of private light aircraft are not crew.

So I've been flying a little under 100 Nm each way to get a PCR test, the results of which take 2 days to get leaving a seemingly small window of opportunity to travel.

On Saturday I found myself on the phone with a weather briefer, discussin marginal VFR conditions, special VFR to enter YQT airspace etc. And the general lack of vis and ceiling info available along that part of the Lake Superior shoreline.

I fortunatly realized I had a bad case of "get home itus" exacerbated by a call to CBSA wherein the officer voiced concern about my expiring covid test!

I canceled my flight plan after doing a little more research to find the actual law states "a negative result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was performed on a specimen collected no more than 72 hours, ... before the aircraft’s initial scheduled departure time;" yet another example of CBSA ignorance of the rules.

Anyway, its clearly a good idea to file a flight plan with an initial departure time within the 72 hours as this bexomes your "initial scheduled departure time." I waited until Sunday for better weather and (this time) had no problems.

Please keep posting your experiences, and take any opportunity to push for the removal of the PCR test requirement. A rapid test is arguably better risk management anyway cuz who knows what can happen in 72 hours.
    C-fclr.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your post Scott. I’ve heard a number of similar stories recently. Experiences are varied based seemingly on the whims of the individual Canadian customs officer.
    Likes Bowie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tedwaltman1 View Post
    Thanks for your post Scott. I’ve heard a number of similar stories recently. Experiences are varied based seemingly on the whims of the individual Canadian customs officer.
    I’m driving north, going to cross into Canada at Sweetgrass MT. I got my Covid test from 406Pharm in Billings on Monday. A PCR test was done in 15 minutes, $75. I literally walked next door and got a cup of coffee and waited 5 minutes and had a very thorough test report document. I believe they have other locations in MT. Would be helpful to get so quick results if you are flying north.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    =========
    PA-12 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    I just cleared at Whitehorse on Tuesday 5 October, had eApis and ARRIVEcanada and a fresh 72 hr neg COVID test in (MY PAPERS). No problems just had to wait for customs ofcrs to show up. Cleared at Williston ND, and again no problems, just had the CBP ofcr travel from Minot. Hope this helps!
    Thanks tedwaltman1, JohnnyR thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter7779h View Post
    I’m driving north, going to cross into Canada at Sweetgrass MT. I got my Covid test from 406Pharm in Billings on Monday. A PCR test was done in 15 minutes, $75. I literally walked next door and got a cup of coffee and waited 5 minutes and had a very thorough test report document. I believe they have other locations in MT. Would be helpful to get so quick results if you are flying north.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Scooter Man, we need that in Fairbanks. I asked around and everyone said go to Capstone, you will the results in 24. I have still not gotten those results back. It cost me to wait after that Bering low came in and dumped snow in my area. So I had to pony up $345 at a local clinic and got the results in 5 minutes.