Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Idaho

Post Thanks / Like

Idaho

Looking for some first hand info on Idaho from some you. We’ve basically canceled our yearly trip around the 1st of September due to fires and smoke. When I look at the JC webcams the smoke looks pretty bad and there’s never more than a couple of planes but the others look good. I’m assuming the two fires north of JC are still burning. Anyone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Johnston Creek images are over a week old, if you check out the IAA website with lots of webcam locations it looks pretty good up there at that moment for the August 8th images. Make sure you look at the dates on the images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah-Jay View Post
    Johnston Creek images are over a week old,
    This site is current - http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~yellowpinecm/

It sometime freezes for days but it's ok now.
    Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! Didn’t think to look.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a big wind blow most of the smoke away for lots of miles in North Idaho. But thunderstorms triggered new problems.

Today it would have been clear going to all sorts of strips between JC and Lewiston ID. Who knows for tomorrow? And especially, who can predict by end of month?

I think it is safe to say there is always somewhere you can go if you are flexible and careful, but fire season this year is as bad if not worse than others in the recent past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sept usually good flying up here. Been to the backcountry several times the last few weeks. Pretty smokey at times but have seen worse. Instument rating reommended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Comes and goes, unpredictably. From DNIFR to 5-10 mile viz. My method is to not try and plan anything but just get up in the morning and look out the window. Staying loose and not tied down to a rigid schedule or flight plan (no where to go and all day to get there) seems to work. Some days it's so bad I could just sit in the plane in the hangar to get some stick time. A lot of my local flying is solely based on which direction is clearest, and I often find some unexpected fun....if nothing else it's as good an excuse as any to fly low.