Thread: An Electric "Jet"?

Post Thanks / Like

An Electric "Jet"?

That's what I thought when I saw this headline:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...edgdhp&pc=U531

Well, not really. An electric twin engine propeller aircraft that looks sleek like maybe a jet.

I had not heard of them before. They are taking orders but it hasn't had a test flight yet. Surprising performance is claimed:

440 nm range
    220 kts
    2500 pound payload.

Things are moving fast in the electric world.

https://www.eviation.co/

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.eviation.co/[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm....Anything wrong with this picture?

Zero emissions? Ask my uncle who lives next to a powerplant near the ocean about zero emissions. No misrepresentations here?

Name:  Alice weights.png
Views: 357
Size:  19.2 KB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post

Hmmmm....Anything wrong with this picture?

Zero emissions? Ask my uncle who lives next to a powerplant near the ocean about zero emissions. No misrepresentations here?

Name:  Alice weights.png
Views: 357
Size:  19.2 KB
    Well, yeah, there's that! But this is based in Arlington WA, as near as I can tell. Hydroelectric is the big player. But salmon will eventually do that in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RVBottomly View Post
    I had not heard of them before. They are taking orders but it hasn't had a test flight yet. Surprising performance is claimed:

440 nm range
    220 kts
    2500 pound payload.

This is an old time honored method of raising money. Most aviation projects which are approached in this manner usually fizzle out with starry eyed investors losing their hard earned cash. Some are with legitimate intentions, with others being just slick money raising schemes by snake oil salesmen. They'll even get some famous people on the board of directors to give them a legitimate appearance. Over the decades, I've seen many of these come and go quietly into the wood work.

Unless projects such as this are coming from a known big name airplane manufacturer, I'll just sit and wait for the crying to begin.

To my knowledge, the FAA has no rules which allow electric motors to be used for primary propulsion. Under what guidelines are these to be certified?
    N1PA
    Likes supercrow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    This is an old time honored method of raising money. Most aviation projects which are approached in this manner usually fizzle out with starry eyed investors losing their hard earned cash. Some are with legitimate intentions, with others being just slick money raising schemes by snake oil salesmen. They'll even get some famous people on the board of directors to give them a legitimate appearance. Over the decades, I've seen many of these come and go quietly into the wood work.

Unless projects such as this are coming from a known big name airplane manufacturer, I'll just sit and wait for the crying to begin.

To my knowledge, the FAA has no rules which allow electric motors to be used for primary propulsion. Under what guidelines are these to be certified?
    When I first heard about the plans Legend had to build their cub clone, I called and said where do I send the check. Darin said we are not taking any money until the prototype flies. He put me on the list as number two. When they flew the prototype the first guy changed his mind and they called me. I sent the deposit check by FedEx.

Rich
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Like a solar home of the seventies, electric aircraft have to be super efficient to be useful. When airbus did a ducted fan demonstrator, expectations of an electric jet warped the market. Jet! Jet! So sleek and shiny! At least this startup is realistic about the energy density of batteries.
    What's a go-around?