• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2000 lb gross upgrade options

damiens

Hi all,

I think I have done the research (but don’t know what I don’t know), I have a certified PA-18-180hp 1971 and need to have a legal 2000lb for operational reasons. I already have extended HD gear.

Is the Wipline/Wipair STC the only option to look at or are there others I should consider?

Thanks
Damien

That is the only one I know of. It can be added to a covered wing if needed better done at recover if possible.
DENNY

That is the only one I know of. It can be added to a covered wing if needed better done at recover if possible.
DENNY
Thanks Denny. Appreciate it.

While we are here, does anyone know a clever (read cheaper) way of cutting the fabric in the wing and stitching it back up that looks ok, without needing a full respray and blended paint job. It’s ceconite. I was thinking maybe an aluminum strip to cover the patch. Unfortunately, the aircraft has been recently recovered and sprayed, without the upgrade.

New pant is easy to match compared to 20 year old stuff. Just get a 18oz bottle of SUCKITUP and have it done RIGHT! If it is a working cub it should not take too long to have a nice patch or two on the side to distract from the wing. Pretty planes don't fly any better than ones with character.
DENNY

New pant is easy to match compared to 20 year old stuff. Just get a 18oz bottle of SUCKITUP and have it done RIGHT! If it is a working cub it should not take too long to have a nice patch or two on the side to distract from the wing. Pretty planes don't fly any better than ones with character.
DENNY
Love it. When I first installed flaps on my -12 in the early 70's it was covered in Grade A. Nobody around had any Grade A fabric to give me, so I baseball-stitched a piece of cotton shirt into the gap. Shrunk the patch with Nitrate dope then silvered it with Butyrate that a friend had some of. Worked fine! I don't recall asking anybody about the legality of that, but it stayed that way for several years
- - - -

one ton cub.jpg

Attachments

• one ton cub.jpg
    one ton cub.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 124
Back