• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Are Carbon Cub SS's single seater aiprlanes?

Cardiff Kook

PATRON
Sisters, OR
I'm seeing all Carbon Cub SS's at over 900 lbs empty. Most more than that- 950#+. Even at 920# that is 400lbs useful. 2 x 180# person=360#. That's 40# for fuel or 6.5 gallons

I get you could legally do it but are these pretty much designed for one person?

I know there is the EX/FX that can be grossed up, but I'm just asking about the SS.

I want to make sure I'm not missing something here. Thanks!

If it's your only airplane you need to be friends with a skinny CFI when it comes time for your flight review. (Pick me, pick me!)

My only question is why are they so heavy at empty weight? I thought they were built to be light.

A decent PA 11 is 100 pounds lighter and used old techniques.

If you leave out the extended fuel, extened baggage, lights and run 6" tires, it will hold two 170# people and some gas as an LSA. Loaded up and it is a one person LSA.

Might be why only one EX that I know of was built eLSA. All the rest EAB.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G970U using SuperCub.Org mobile app

My only question is why are they so heavy at empty weight? I thought they were built to be light.

A decent PA 11 is 100 pounds lighter and used old techniques.

Those old J3's and PA11's also had construction techniques that would be considered marginal today. Things like the seat belt attachment system, lots of fairleads instead of pulleys, no electrical, sling seats, and a distinct lack of panels where there would be ones today all add up to being lighter. Plus the Carbon Cub comes with an O-340 which is a good 70lbs heavier in the engine alone.

The Carbon Cub is and always has been an LSA on paper only. Little tricks like placarding the engine for 60% power to keep it under 100hp and making it a 1320 gross when they know customers will load them up and use all 180 ponies is their little wink and grin at the FAA so that folks can fly them under light sport rules. It's just a legal game they play.

Perhaps because people get tempted by the light weight but then add the G3X panel, big tanks with significant unusable fuel, the autopilot servos, and big BushWheels. I chose the FX-3. There is no way I can overload it without grossly exceeding baggage compartment limits.

You might want to talk to Cub Crafters. Last year I talked to a sales rep about the SS and he told me that the gross weight increase could be done with only paperwork by converting to experimental. No structural changes required. I don’t recall the details or whether it could be increased up to 2000# but it was substantial.

Per Cub Crafters web; CC SS is 892 lbs empty. As people have stated above, owners tend to add 'equipment' (LR tanks, BW's,... ) and there goes the empty weight.

EX/FX, EX-2,FX-2 are 1865 lbs gross. EX-3/FX-3 are 2000 lbs gross.

the -2's and -3's also have the newer G2 ailerons and flaps.

IMO I think CC was brilliant understand/interpreting the LSA rules and marketing. Look at there business now compared to 10 years ago.

But yes, to answer your question: one person airplane with full fuel and camping gear. Or a 2 person sight seeing flights.

Last edited:
Lower it and it doesn't sway. My wife use to hate the back seat till we dropped it down and know she doesn't mind it. Prefers it over my Super Cub.

If it's your only airplane you need to be friends with a skinny CFI when it comes time for your flight review. (Pick me, pick me!)

Oh well. My PP check ride in 1971 in a C150. Only burned about 4 gal getting there. I weighed 160 myself. When doing my W&B I asked the Man how much he weighed. After sizing me up he said, "233#". My math said we were 11# under gross. Good to go. Of coarse he weighed much closer to 333# than 233.........

BTW, I'm looking for a 90# CFI to do a flight review in my Spezio Tu-holer..... (I hate when the designer's wife was 5'2"/85#)

Jack

Oh well. My PP check ride in 1971 in a C150. Only burned about 4 gal getting there. I weighed 160 myself. When doing my W&B I asked the Man how much he weighed. After sizing me up he said, "233#". My math said we were 11# under gross. Good to go. Of coarse he weighed much closer to 333# than 233.........

BTW, I'm looking for a 90# CFI to do a flight review in my Spezio Tu-holer..... (I hate when the designer's wife was 5'2"/85#)

Jack

We all only weight 170! I don't know what the problem is.

Actually the CFO (Cheif Financial Officer/bill payer) finds the back seat of our EX-2 comfortable.

Most the time it's just me. Then I fly with one of my slugo buddies in the back and I'm reminded of the change in CG. 8)

Back