Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 121 to 132 of 132

Thread: Van's RV-15

  1. #121
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know prices have shot up since I bought my IO-390. Kit buyers are going to lose their sh-t when they see the price of that engine. Van's has a sweet deal on some other Lycomings. I expect they'll get this one at a good price, too, but still. A factory new IO-390 on the certificated side is north of $107K. Cha ching!

  2. #122

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    The -EXP119 variant is a Vans' specific model that they worked with Lycoming to develop. (I saw a video of a Vans' employee talking about how they actually developed that engine specifically for the RV15 when it was in the design phase, and it ended up working perfectly for the RV14 as well) Currently through Vans the engine price is showing as $54,700 on their website, although I'm sure that will increase by the time the RV15 is available.

    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I know prices have shot up since I bought my IO-390. Kit buyers are going to lose their sh-t when they see the price of that engine. Van's has a sweet deal on some other Lycomings. I expect they'll get this one at a good price, too, but still. A factory new IO-390 on the certificated side is north of $107K. Cha ching!

  3. #123
    aflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SW Colorado
    Posts
    70
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is a lot of info like this on a new page set up by Vansairforce.net http:/RV-15.com

    Videos of the OSH presentations by Vans, etc.

    I was one of the people who killed the grass around the prototype at OSH. It is very 170-like, with a nice cabin size. Many of the technicalities are subject to change as they refine the design for production.
    If it ain't broke - improve it

  4. #124
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link. Interesting project. Looking forward to reading how it stacks up to other popular kit taildraggers for performance and insurance rates.

  5. #125
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    12,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aflyer View Post
    There is a lot of info like this on a new page set up by Vansairforce.net http:/RV-15.com

    Videos of the OSH presentations by Vans, etc.

    I was one of the people who killed the grass around the prototype at OSH. It is very 170-like, with a nice cabin size. Many of the technicalities are subject to change as they refine the design for production.
    This is getting better all the time. If only I were much younger. I'd have my name on the list for a kit and also have a Montana 2400 amphib kit on order. https://montanafloat.com/2400-series-amphib-floats/
    N1PA
    Likes 1934A liked this post

  6. #126

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Montana
    Posts
    462
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll admit, the more i learn about the -15, the more i have to backpedal on my initial impression. It's beginning to appear to have the potential to be a very good mix of cross country and backcountry capabilities. I might even learn to live with the looks of that cowling...

  7. #127
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    421
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the main gear design and tailwheel design will make it much more capable than the Rans S-21. Will it be tube and fabric tough? That remains to be seen. Damn nice gear design

  8. #128
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    12,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1934A View Post
    I might even learn to live with the looks of that cowling...
    Paint can cure that issue.
    N1PA
    Likes 1934A, hotrod180 liked this post

  9. #129
    Formandfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should also include ruff off airport ops in the flight test program. Could prevent issues popping up later from real stol pilots plopping it in some butt pucker,which will happen. And a split door with a window would be nice.

  10. #130
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    12,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Formandfunction View Post
    They should also include ruff off airport ops in the flight test program. Could prevent issues popping up later from real stol pilots plopping it in some butt pucker,which will happen. And a split door with a window would be nice.
    Listen to what he says starting at 2:16 about big tires. He seems to think the landing gear shock system will take care of the "off road" abuse. The rougher the landing surface, the larger the diameter of the tire is needed to more easily traverse the rough. The shocks are important, but so are the large tires.

    N1PA
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

  11. #131
    courierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Inkom, Idaho
    Posts
    2,141
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Formandfunction View Post
    They should also include ruff off airport ops in the flight test program. Could prevent issues popping up later from real stol pilots plopping it in some butt pucker,which will happen. And a split door with a window would be nice.
    Time will tell, in the meantime I'll stick with chrome moly. I don't see them doing anything too "back country", as in real off airport into unknown sites etc., that will be up to the BETA testers.

  12. #132
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Skywagon Light? Definitely not a Wagon. Definitely not a Cub. Probably lots of guys who want a compromise between the two. An underachiever by design.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •