• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Van's RV-15

Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.47.44 AM-4K.jpg look at the flap tracks and the wing leading edge , slats? slots ? hard to tell .
Doug

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.47.44 AM-4K.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.47.44 AM-4K.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 209
I’m not sure that’s simple spring gear- what are the weird fairings where the legs go into the fuselage? Covering some sort of suspension or pivot point? Who knows at this point but I’m not sure why those covers if it’s as simple as Cessna gear...

I think that's just an optical illusion; the flap tracks appear at the rear of the wing. Also, if the gear appears to be simple spring gear probably with a fairing or external gear leg mounts for ease of building.

Look at the rest of Van's designs. They're not pushing the envelope here, just making a nice easy to build kit with good all-around performance. My money is on basically Cessna 170B like performance with a simple step by step build process and a forgiving performance envelope. Probably (almost definitely) easier to maintain and repair than a Cessna too. It'll be a big winner for the bigger part of aviation that isn't looking for the most cutting edge short field performance but a good overall speed envelope.

Seen several former Vans builders that were tired of going fast to the pancake breakfast build Rans S21s. I figure this is Van's answer. Having flown in the S21 with the IO-340 and manipulated the controls it flies nice. Like any design I see things I like and things I don't, it is all a compromise.

On the flip side, a fellow very long time RANS S-7 pilot/builder/modder, just bought a RV-3. Not to replace the 7 but for his go fast, and does it ever! 190 mph +, MT 3 blade prop, sliding canopy, and a very snazzy paint job, for a price that made me offer him 5K more for it on the spot, he just laughed.

I can imagine the VANS crew this Monday morning going over all the social media posts about the initial reaction to the 15 from the pilot community, or, maybe they are so confident they don't bother? It's obvious direct competitor is the RANS 21, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

It's obvious direct competitor is the RANS 21, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Also might as well throw the Bearhawk Companion into the comparison, diffetent construction methods, but as far as intended mission, they'd be comparable.

Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up against these two as far as stall and cruise speeds, cargo space and useful load go.

On the flip side, a fellow very long time RANS S-7 pilot/builder/modder, just bought a RV-3. Not to replace the 7 but for his go fast, and does it ever! 190 mph +, MT 3 blade prop, sliding canopy, and a very snazzy paint job, for a price that made me offer him 5K more for it on the spot, he just laughed.

I can imagine the VANS crew this Monday morning going over all the social media posts about the initial reaction to the 15 from the pilot community, or, maybe they are so confident they don't bother? It's obvious direct competitor is the RANS 21, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

The thing I don't like about the Rans S-21 is the very short wing. Randy explained during the design process that he wasn't comfortable making the wing longer without going to two wing struts per wing, and he wanted to keep it to one strut. I'm sure there was more to it than that, but I think that was a bad decision for a "back country" plane. That said, I'm not sure the S-21 was really designed as a back country plane. And, it may be that this one isn't either.....

It will be very interesting to see the "finished product". But, with Van's track record, I'm betting this will be a winner.

MTV

MTV

Let’s face it- the current RV series will already go anywhere that the target market of this rv-15 is likely to want to take an airplane; I think all this discussion about flaps, gear, slats, etc etc is a little academic. If it’s basically nothing but a high-wing rv-7 it’ll sell...

It looks like a kit plane. Kinda has that square sonex look. I guess there's a unspoken rule that stol planes have to look like jeeps no matter who makes them.

The thing I don't like about the Rans S-21 is the very short wing. Randy explained during the design process that he wasn't comfortable making the wing longer without going to two wing struts per wing, and he wanted to keep it to one strut. I'm sure there was more to it than that, but I think that was a bad decision for a "back country" plane. That said, I'm not sure the S-21 was really designed as a back country plane. And, it may be that this one isn't either.....

It will be very interesting to see the "finished product". But, with Van's track record, I'm betting this will be a winner.

MTV

MTV

I have a lot (for a new design) of hours in a S-21, it is not a backcountry plane. I’m building a Bearhawk Companion to be a backcountry plane. I think the Vans fans will line up to buy/build the 15.

I like all the glass. That’s about as light as it can be: no paint, no interior, small tires, looks like one seat, no lights.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Van's just posted another video from their employee reveal, showing some of the features up close. Kinda neat how the shock absorbers are internal so there is less of a drag penalty.

Those are some big Fowler flaps.

Actually, those are some Huge flaps.

Interesting looking gear as well. Look at this photo, zoom in on gear attach, it’s got some sort of shock system where the gear attaches.

E96B348A-EA4F-438D-B316-F715B5310395.jpeg

MTV

Attachments

• E96B348A-EA4F-438D-B316-F715B5310395.jpeg
    E96B348A-EA4F-438D-B316-F715B5310395.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Bushwheels help the looks of nearly everything. I’d like a dollar from every one they sell.

That cowl looks like a scale model of a Skywagon cowl without an air filter. If it cools the engine and doesn’t add unnecessary drag? Bravo.

Just saw that on Facebook. Looks like I have to eat my words; that's a suspension system. It's hard to imagine how they fit it in there but it's very cool to see them pushing the envelope.

I really like the tailwheel steering and suspension. Also looks like a adjustable stabilizer which is a huge advantage!!! DENNY

The 2nd video makes this plane look a lot more interesting. Only question now is… How heavy duty is the empennage?

Looks like Vans might have a winner here.

If that’s a trimming horizontal it trims at the trailing edge. That’s highly unlikely.

The triangular fuselage cutout that allows movement of the stab can be seen in the photo. It's hard to make out the exact geometry but I'd guess it's a stabilator similar to the PA-28.

Attachments

• RV tail.PNG
    RV tail.PNG
    715.6 KB · Views: 120
The 2nd video makes this plane look a lot more interesting. Only question now is… How heavy duty is the empennage?

Looks like Vans might have a winner here.

I'm a big fan of 4130 chrome moly myself...., at least for something I'd be bashing around in rocks, but those flaps look huge, the gear is interesting, and the wing span is generous. At first glance it would seem to maybe outSTOL the 21? Besides the engineering involved, there is the marketing, always. Now if VANS came out with a CM fuselage bird, that'd be of a lot more interest to me. Oh yeah, tandem seating also.

Never seen a stabilator on a taildragger. My first thought is that’ll be a slow performance killer. I’d also watch for durability issues after operating on rough terrain. Whether it fails before that main gear suspension will be a crap shoot.

I’ve never seen a jack screw adjust the trailing edge and can’t imagine how elevator controls would compensate. But my life has revolved around Skywagons and Cubs. Familiarity plays a role.

The helio has a huge stabilator and it seems to hold up just fine. I agree at first glance a stabilator seems less robust but I’m not sure it’s any worse than a trimming stabilizer. Otter and bush hawk stabilizers trim at the TE...

Back