• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Van's RV-15

.....I say give them a chance. We need enthusiastic qualified young blood in this industry.

I agree. I'm not badmouthing them, just saying that they're not necessarily the leaders in their field (yet).
They have (at least) one total rebuild project in the works now,
but I don't know of any other airplanes which have come out of their shop after a total rebuild, yet --
other than the owner's very nice 180hp C170B (which is for sale).
But I'm hoping to see great things from them in the years to come.

Last edited:
I was getting ready to order a bearhawk kit until van made the announcement, now it is wait and see.
I ordered a Bearhawk Companion (2 seat side by side) two days ago, October delivery. The RV-15 is likely 2 years from delivery. Everyone lives on a different timeframe

Last edited:
I was getting ready to order a bearhawk kit until van made the announcement, now it is wait and see.

And that’s exactly what Vans wanted you to do. Marketing 101, get the buyer off the market.

I would have done the same thing if I was them.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

I ordered a Bearhawk Companion (2 seat side by side) two days ago, October delivery. The RV-15 is likely 2 years from delivery. Everyone live on a different timeframe

Now Jay you know you’re lucky it was still available. The other guy is now fuming because he pondered an extra day.
Next slot is spring 2023.

Pb

And that’s exactly what Vans wanted you to do. Marketing 101, get the buyer off the market.

I would have done the same thing if I was them.

Very good point, Vans is a good and smart operation

For those of us who like to roll our own, looks like Van's Aircraft is serving up an all metal bush plane.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2021/july/26/vans-rv-15-in-the-works

fun fun, John

From the AOPA article:
"Van’s officials confirmed July 26 that their next airplane will be made of metal like the kit airplanes that preceded it. But it will have a high wing and be “suitable” for backcountry flying at remote airstrips."

An airplane that is <"suitable" for back country operations> isn't necessarily a bush plane.
There used to be a guy on a couple different forums who did a lot back country type ops in his Mooney,
apparently it was "suitable" but I wouldn't call a Mooney a bush plane.

Sling has a new high wing that is fast and backcountry capable. Kitfox, Rans and Bearhawk are all seriously backed up on orders for planes that would/could be classified as STOL capable, that seems to be the market at the moment. Is there a big market for a high wing backcountry plane that can only land at Johnson Creek, Sulphur Creek and Indian Creek length runways? Because a Mooney CAN land in those places.

I'm not sure what the definition of 'backcountry capable' is, but i don't think that Sling High Wing would qualify. With a 56mph stall speed with full flaps, a 300' gravel bar is gonna seem awful short! I guess it all depends on what you consider the 'backcountry'...

I'm not sure what the definition of 'backcountry capable' is, but i don't think that Sling High Wing would qualify. With a 56mph stall speed with full flaps, a 300' gravel bar is gonna seem awful short! I guess it all depends on what you consider the 'backcountry'...

That was my point exactly, but if you read the comments on the Vans forum, they want typical Vans speeds (think 180 kts +) for this “backcountry capable” plane. Honestly I find the comments over there hilarious

https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=116

I guess we are talking two different Marble airstrips. The only two I know of are Marble Colorado (Conger) and Marbel Canyon below Page.
Sorry!

Looks like Van's just bought a set of plans from Murphy and built a Rebel clone. :p Kind of disappointing if you're looking for design innovation from Van's.

Underwhelming to say the least... Hopefully the production version gets some cosmetic changes, mainly that engine cowling...

So, you guys are critiquing the LOOKS of a new plane, based soley on a short video..... Interesting.

I've seen enough of Van's designs up close and personal that I'll wait to see the "finished product" up close and personal. I'm betting it'll be a winner. And, folks saying they should build a 185 replacement might want to look at a. What that kit would cost, and b. How much structure would be needed to accomplish that, resulting in c. A HUGE and long assembly process.

Frankly, if they pull off a two seat, all metal back country capable airplane, I think it will be a huge hit. As with other Van's designs, builders will instantly start installing larger and more powerful engines.

If the gearbox is sturdy, it'll be a winner. That huge tail portends well..... And, how about floats?

MTV

Underwhelming to say the least... Hopefully the production version gets some cosmetic changes, mainly that engine cowling...
Rare they’d do a competition style take-off landing on their first flight(s).
If they say they’re building a STOL plane, then they are- VAN’S reputation says so.

IN the video that plane got up dame quick and it did not look like flaps were used in the video.

I am not a huge fan of spring gear, love the big tail for slow flight. Will be interesting to see the flaps.

From what I have seen I am not regretting my Bearhawk build

So, you guys are critiquing the LOOKS of a new plane, based soley on a short video..... Interesting.

MTV

Actually, I'm poking fun at them for a year's worth of hype just to produce something that looks like they bought a set of Murphy plans. Hey, but it's from Vans so it must be incredible. Right? I'm not knocking them. I own a RV. Incredible plane. But the initial impression is a bit disappointing for all the hype.

-Cub Builder

Actually, I'm poking fun at them for a year's worth of hype just to produce something that looks like they bought a set of Murphy plans. Hey, but it's from Vans so it must be incredible. Right? I'm not knocking them. I own a RV. Incredible plane. But the initial impression is a bit disappointing for all the hype.

-Cub Builder
Don't expect superior performance on a first flight. That plane lifted off main wheels first with a small flap setting and what also appeared to be lightly loaded. It appears to have a lot of promise. I wonder, fixed pitch or constant speed prop?

Don't expect superior performance on a first flight. That plane lifted off main wheel first with a small flap setting and what also appeared to be lightly loaded. It appears to have a lot of promise. I wonder, fixed pitch or constant speed prop?

Looks like a big trailblazer constant speed. I'd bet lyc 360 powered

Rare they’d do a competition style take-off landing on their first flight(s).
If they say they’re building a STOL plane, then they are- VAN’S reputation says so.

I wasn't referring to the performance at all. I realize that this is a prototype that is still in the testing phase. I wss just hoping for more innovation and eye appeal, i guess. The cowling doesnt seem to match the lines of the rest of the fuselage very well, it resembles the cowling on a Sonex to me. I was also almost expecting a cantilevered wing. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, for sure, also the performance specs. Looking at it as is right now, though, to me, it looks like the result of a one night stand between a Murphy Rebel and a Sonex.

Back