• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Van's RV-15

Stabilator is a fine way to do an elevator control. Like was mentioned, the Helio has a stabilator and that contributes to their ability to still have good pitch authority even at high angles of attack. If done right it's no less reliable than a traditional elevator.

I see a bunch of interesting concepts grouped together on this plane. As for the stabilizer, that could just be for access to change the stabilizer position on the prototype while they figure out what works best. No doubt the huge flaps throw a monkey wrench into the trim. Don't think I'll sell my SC clone to order a kit just yet, but it looks like it would be interesting to play with for a bit. :smile: I expect they will have something at Oshkosh, so somebody that's there to see it can expound on what they see.

-Cub Builder

Stabilator is a fine way to do an elevator control. Like was mentioned, the Helio has a stabilator and that contributes to their ability to still have good pitch authority even at high angles of attack. If done right it's no less reliable than a traditional elevator.

Helio stabilator is up limited so it cannot stall. Once slats are out and full flaps it will just sink, in full control, wings level with the interceptors when needed, unless nose lowered.
John

Does anyone know what the cables that run on the outside from the strut, up the door front then along the A pillar are for?

Does anyone know what the cables that run on the outside from the strut, up the door front then along the A pillar are for?

I suspect they activate the door jettison. Note the test pilot is wearing a 'chute.

Probably pulled by the white handles (PVC pipe on cable?) that can be seen in the interior shots.

The guys from Vans say it's going to be a 2 seater with a 4 place projected later on down the line if this is successful. The model shown at Oshokosh was very much an unfinished prototype and it's likely the wing and many other aspects of the design will be changed before it's released. It didn't even have fuel tanks installed; they had a fuel cell next to the front seat for flight testing.

That being said i's a great design and very good looking. They mentioned they might shorten the wing but hopefully they keep the long flaps and keep some performance in it. Projected cruise speed 140kts.

I flew against Van and his son in the Region 8 soaring competition last month. Really interesting guy to talk with about marketing. We chatted a bit about CC.

B42DF4DA-FE66-4846-8652-C8919E2C2F1D.jpg

Attachments

• B42DF4DA-FE66-4846-8652-C8919E2C2F1D.jpg
    B42DF4DA-FE66-4846-8652-C8919E2C2F1D.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 123
Did anyone else notice the gurney flap on trailing edge of stabilizer?

9C57F68D-A792-480F-8C38-22D5C76B4CB3.jpg

MTV

Attachments

• 9C57F68D-A792-480F-8C38-22D5C76B4CB3.jpg
    9C57F68D-A792-480F-8C38-22D5C76B4CB3.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 152
That's a double gurney flap and would that be considered a bandaid? I guess you could design it in but all the helo examples I know of it was an after thought to correct a problem.

I was the one that put the note on the stab. This is an engineering prototype. We had a choice of going quick or leaving the plane at home. In order to go quick, we can change the length or hight of the tab. That takes hours. Or we can build a new stab which will take days. After flying the airplane, i provided the feedback that the stick force per G was too light. So we are tuning the feedback/forces. When we get the plane home, we will build a new stab with the hing 1/8 of an inch from where it is now and the forces will be what they are now.

the final kit will not have those on. Hope that helps.

20220728_120756.jpg

One of my favorite details. If you can't read it, this is a comparison to the Cessna baggage door.

Attachments

• 20220728_120756.jpg
    20220728_120756.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 125
In a testament to the "go fast" past design history of VANS, I see no provision for being able to open a window in flight! If you can't hang an elbow out in the breeze while cruising, what good is it?! Taking a door off isn't the same. And....said elbow/arm can't be resting on just a plexi or lexan edge, there needs to be something comfortable for an armrest. I'm no engineer, but I figured out how to put a flip up window in my RANS, (even though I can fly it with doors open, one or both, it's too much of a good thing, a window is just right) with a T-Craft spar scrap for the arm rest. Much thought was given to the height of the arm rest, followed by making a prototype, than a final production run, of one, was made, and it's frigging perfect, and much appreciated in these 95 degree days lately. I'm surprised none of you SC guys caught this glaring error, hopefully to be corrected in the final version. OTHER THAN THAT, it looks like a pretty cool plane.

I see no provision for being able to open a window in flight! If you can't hang an elbow out in the breeze while cruising, what good is it?
Remember, this is the prototype. AND the door is rigged to jettison in case of a need to bail out. During flight testing Stuff sometimes happens. They may be a need to get rid of the door quickly. Let's hope not, yet being prepared is important. An opening window at this point is just fluff.

Agreed, just a prototype so fluffless. Just throwing that out there because of their .history, I'd bet its not even on their radar, not the way they think Don't see many RV 10's cruising around with an elbow sticking out.. Probably the same with most of their tire kickers, but if they want to address a certain market, the final product should hopefully have a opening window.

Last edited:
"If you can't hang an elbow out in the breeze while cruising, what good is it?!"

If you want to be really cool, you would also have a pack of cigarettes rolled up in the sleeve of your tee shirt.

Back