• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Van's RV-15

I know prices have shot up since I bought my IO-390. Kit buyers are going to lose their sh-t when they see the price of that engine. Van's has a sweet deal on some other Lycomings. I expect they'll get this one at a good price, too, but still. A factory new IO-390 on the certificated side is north of $107K. Cha ching!

The -EXP119 variant is a Vans' specific model that they worked with Lycoming to develop. (I saw a video of a Vans' employee talking about how they actually developed that engine specifically for the RV15 when it was in the design phase, and it ended up working perfectly for the RV14 as well) Currently through Vans the engine price is showing as $54,700 on their website, although I'm sure that will increase by the time the RV15 is available.

I know prices have shot up since I bought my IO-390. Kit buyers are going to lose their sh-t when they see the price of that engine. Van's has a sweet deal on some other Lycomings. I expect they'll get this one at a good price, too, but still. A factory new IO-390 on the certificated side is north of $107K. Cha ching!

There is a lot of info like this on a new page set up by Vansairforce.net http:/RV-15.com

Videos of the OSH presentations by Vans, etc.

I was one of the people who killed the grass around the prototype at OSH. It is very 170-like, with a nice cabin size. Many of the technicalities are subject to change as they refine the design for production.

Thanks for the link. Interesting project. Looking forward to reading how it stacks up to other popular kit taildraggers for performance and insurance rates.

There is a lot of info like this on a new page set up by Vansairforce.net http:/RV-15.com

Videos of the OSH presentations by Vans, etc.

I was one of the people who killed the grass around the prototype at OSH. It is very 170-like, with a nice cabin size. Many of the technicalities are subject to change as they refine the design for production.
This is getting better all the time. If only I were much younger. I'd have my name on the list for a kit and also have a Montana 2400 amphib kit on order. https://montanafloat.com/2400-series-amphib-floats/

I'll admit, the more i learn about the -15, the more i have to backpedal on my initial impression. It's beginning to appear to have the potential to be a very good mix of cross country and backcountry capabilities. I might even learn to live with the looks of that cowling...

I think the main gear design and tailwheel design will make it much more capable than the Rans S-21. Will it be tube and fabric tough? That remains to be seen. Damn nice gear design

They should also include ruff off airport ops in the flight test program. Could prevent issues popping up later from real stol pilots plopping it in some butt pucker,which will happen. And a split door with a window would be nice.

They should also include ruff off airport ops in the flight test program. Could prevent issues popping up later from real stol pilots plopping it in some butt pucker,which will happen. And a split door with a window would be nice.

Listen to what he says starting at 2:16 about big tires. He seems to think the landing gear shock system will take care of the "off road" abuse. The rougher the landing surface, the larger the diameter of the tire is needed to more easily traverse the rough. The shocks are important, but so are the large tires.

Time will tell, in the meantime I'll stick with chrome moly. I don't see them doing anything too "back country", as in real off airport into unknown sites etc., that will be up to the BETA testers.

Skywagon Light? Definitely not a Wagon. Definitely not a Cub. Probably lots of guys who want a compromise between the two. An underachiever by design. ;)

Back