Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 132

Thread: Van's RV-15

  1. #41
    courierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Inkom, Idaho
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    That Mooney landed Soldier Bar!
    Likes Colorado-Cub liked this post

  2. #42
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    That Mooney landed Soldier Bar!
    Let’s see him land at Marble

    Or better yet your strip

  3. #43

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Montana
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure what the definition of 'backcountry capable' is, but i don't think that Sling High Wing would qualify. With a 56mph stall speed with full flaps, a 300' gravel bar is gonna seem awful short! I guess it all depends on what you consider the 'backcountry'...

  4. #44
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1934A View Post
    I'm not sure what the definition of 'backcountry capable' is, but i don't think that Sling High Wing would qualify. With a 56mph stall speed with full flaps, a 300' gravel bar is gonna seem awful short! I guess it all depends on what you consider the 'backcountry'...
    That was my point exactly, but if you read the comments on the Vans forum, they want typical Vans speeds (think 180 kts +) for this “backcountry capable” plane. Honestly I find the comments over there hilarious

    https://vansairforce.net/community/f...play.php?f=116

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah-Jay View Post
    Let’s see him land at Marble

    Or better yet your strip
    Bob Conger, long time owner of Marble, used to fly in and out of there regularly in a Mooney. Before the Mooney, it was a Cessna 421.
    Tom

  6. #46
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thaefeli View Post
    Bob Conger, long time owner of Marble, used to fly in and out of there regularly in a Mooney. Before the Mooney, it was a Cessna 421.
    Tom
    1200-1300’ strip… that’s some awesome piloting then

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess we are talking two different Marble airstrips. The only two I know of are Marble Colorado (Conger) and Marbel Canyon below Page.
    Sorry!

  8. #48
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thaefeli View Post
    I guess we are talking two different Marble airstrips. The only two I know of are Marble Colorado (Conger) and Marbel Canyon below Page.
    Sorry!
    ID8 is the identifier

  9. #49
    aflyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SW Colorado
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it ain't broke - improve it
    Thanks Chogf22 thanked for this post

  10. #50
    Cub Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Central AR
    Posts
    736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like Van's just bought a set of plans from Murphy and built a Rebel clone. Kind of disappointing if you're looking for design innovation from Van's.
    Likes hotrod180, skukum12 liked this post

  11. #51

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Montana
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Underwhelming to say the least... Hopefully the production version gets some cosmetic changes, mainly that engine cowling...

  12. #52
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    12,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    So, you guys are critiquing the LOOKS of a new plane, based soley on a short video..... Interesting.

    I've seen enough of Van's designs up close and personal that I'll wait to see the "finished product" up close and personal. I'm betting it'll be a winner. And, folks saying they should build a 185 replacement might want to look at a. What that kit would cost, and b. How much structure would be needed to accomplish that, resulting in c. A HUGE and long assembly process.

    Frankly, if they pull off a two seat, all metal back country capable airplane, I think it will be a huge hit. As with other Van's designs, builders will instantly start installing larger and more powerful engines.

    If the gearbox is sturdy, it'll be a winner. That huge tail portends well..... And, how about floats?

    MTV
    Thanks Bassackwards thanked for this post
    Likes mixer, jrussl, RoddyM, Flyingde liked this post

  13. #53

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    I believe the Cyclone kit has new ownership and will be returning to the market.
    “Cyclone” is what will have happened to the builders wallet after one is completed. If it can be completed.
    Likes courierguy liked this post

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1934A View Post
    Underwhelming to say the least... Hopefully the production version gets some cosmetic changes, mainly that engine cowling...
    Rare they’d do a competition style take-off landing on their first flight(s).
    If they say they’re building a STOL plane, then they are- VAN’S reputation says so.

  15. #55
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    IN the video that plane got up dame quick and it did not look like flaps were used in the video.

    I am not a huge fan of spring gear, love the big tail for slow flight. Will be interesting to see the flaps.

    From what I have seen I am not regretting my Bearhawk build
    Bearhawk Companion QB Builder
    Revo Sunglasses Ambassador
    https://www.instagram.com/jay_townsend_utah/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ0...tBJLdV8HB_jSIA
    Thanks Bassackwards thanked for this post

  16. #56
    Cub Builder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    North Central AR
    Posts
    736
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    So, you guys are critiquing the LOOKS of a new plane, based soley on a short video..... Interesting.

    MTV
    Actually, I'm poking fun at them for a year's worth of hype just to produce something that looks like they bought a set of Murphy plans. Hey, but it's from Vans so it must be incredible. Right? I'm not knocking them. I own a RV. Incredible plane. But the initial impression is a bit disappointing for all the hype.

    -Cub Builder
    Likes Farmboy, skukum12 liked this post

  17. #57
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    12,382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Builder View Post
    Actually, I'm poking fun at them for a year's worth of hype just to produce something that looks like they bought a set of Murphy plans. Hey, but it's from Vans so it must be incredible. Right? I'm not knocking them. I own a RV. Incredible plane. But the initial impression is a bit disappointing for all the hype.

    -Cub Builder
    Don't expect superior performance on a first flight. That plane lifted off main wheels first with a small flap setting and what also appeared to be lightly loaded. It appears to have a lot of promise. I wonder, fixed pitch or constant speed prop?
    N1PA

  18. #58
    RaisedByWolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    4,823
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Don't expect superior performance on a first flight. That plane lifted off main wheel first with a small flap setting and what also appeared to be lightly loaded. It appears to have a lot of promise. I wonder, fixed pitch or constant speed prop?

    Looks like a big trailblazer constant speed. I'd bet lyc 360 powered
    Likes bcone1381 liked this post

  19. #59

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Montana
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoddyM View Post
    Rare they’d do a competition style take-off landing on their first flight(s).
    If they say they’re building a STOL plane, then they are- VAN’S reputation says so.
    I wasn't referring to the performance at all. I realize that this is a prototype that is still in the testing phase. I wss just hoping for more innovation and eye appeal, i guess. The cowling doesnt seem to match the lines of the rest of the fuselage very well, it resembles the cowling on a Sonex to me. I was also almost expecting a cantilevered wing. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product, for sure, also the performance specs. Looking at it as is right now, though, to me, it looks like the result of a one night stand between a Murphy Rebel and a Sonex.
    Likes CubCruiser, ak49flyer, skukum12, Delta Cub liked this post

  20. #60
    ScaleBackcountryPilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2022
    Location
    Southern Idaho
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Supposedly the RV-16 is going to be a 4 place similar to the 180
    Thanks JeffP thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl liked this post

  21. #61
    brown bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    emporia ks
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-10 at 10.47.44 AM-4K.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	61697 look at the flap tracks and the wing leading edge , slats? slots ? hard to tell .
    Doug

  22. #62

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not sure that’s simple spring gear- what are the weird fairings where the legs go into the fuselage? Covering some sort of suspension or pivot point? Who knows at this point but I’m not sure why those covers if it’s as simple as Cessna gear...
    Likes courierguy liked this post

  23. #63
    Crash, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    920
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's just an optical illusion; the flap tracks appear at the rear of the wing. Also, if the gear appears to be simple spring gear probably with a fairing or external gear leg mounts for ease of building.

    Look at the rest of Van's designs. They're not pushing the envelope here, just making a nice easy to build kit with good all-around performance. My money is on basically Cessna 170B like performance with a simple step by step build process and a forgiving performance envelope. Probably (almost definitely) easier to maintain and repair than a Cessna too. It'll be a big winner for the bigger part of aviation that isn't looking for the most cutting edge short field performance but a good overall speed envelope.
    Likes ak49flyer, 1934A, Delta Cub liked this post

  24. #64
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    22,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seen several former Vans builders that were tired of going fast to the pancake breakfast build Rans S21s. I figure this is Van's answer. Having flown in the S21 with the IO-340 and manipulated the controls it flies nice. Like any design I see things I like and things I don't, it is all a compromise.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes WWhunter liked this post

  25. #65
    courierguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Inkom, Idaho
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the flip side, a fellow very long time RANS S-7 pilot/builder/modder, just bought a RV-3. Not to replace the 7 but for his go fast, and does it ever! 190 mph +, MT 3 blade prop, sliding canopy, and a very snazzy paint job, for a price that made me offer him 5K more for it on the spot, he just laughed.

    I can imagine the VANS crew this Monday morning going over all the social media posts about the initial reaction to the 15 from the pilot community, or, maybe they are so confident they don't bother? It's obvious direct competitor is the RANS 21, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post
    Likes 1934A liked this post

  26. #66

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Montana
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    It's obvious direct competitor is the RANS 21, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

    Also might as well throw the Bearhawk Companion into the comparison, diffetent construction methods, but as far as intended mission, they'd be comparable.

    Looking forward to seeing how it stacks up against these two as far as stall and cruise speeds, cargo space and useful load go.

  27. #67
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    12,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by courierguy View Post
    On the flip side, a fellow very long time RANS S-7 pilot/builder/modder, just bought a RV-3. Not to replace the 7 but for his go fast, and does it ever! 190 mph +, MT 3 blade prop, sliding canopy, and a very snazzy paint job, for a price that made me offer him 5K more for it on the spot, he just laughed.

    I can imagine the VANS crew this Monday morning going over all the social media posts about the initial reaction to the 15 from the pilot community, or, maybe they are so confident they don't bother? It's obvious direct competitor is the RANS 21, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.
    The thing I don't like about the Rans S-21 is the very short wing. Randy explained during the design process that he wasn't comfortable making the wing longer without going to two wing struts per wing, and he wanted to keep it to one strut. I'm sure there was more to it than that, but I think that was a bad decision for a "back country" plane. That said, I'm not sure the S-21 was really designed as a back country plane. And, it may be that this one isn't either.....

    It will be very interesting to see the "finished product". But, with Van's track record, I'm betting this will be a winner.

    MTV

    MTV
    Thanks mixer thanked for this post
    Likes mixer, skukum12 liked this post

  28. #68

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let’s face it- the current RV series will already go anywhere that the target market of this rv-15 is likely to want to take an airplane; I think all this discussion about flaps, gear, slats, etc etc is a little academic. If it’s basically nothing but a high-wing rv-7 it’ll sell...
    Likes 1934A, skukum12 liked this post

  29. #69
    Formandfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like a kit plane. Kinda has that square sonex look. I guess there's a unspoken rule that stol planes have to look like jeeps no matter who makes them.

  30. #70
    Utah-Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Heber City, UT
    Posts
    432
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    The thing I don't like about the Rans S-21 is the very short wing. Randy explained during the design process that he wasn't comfortable making the wing longer without going to two wing struts per wing, and he wanted to keep it to one strut. I'm sure there was more to it than that, but I think that was a bad decision for a "back country" plane. That said, I'm not sure the S-21 was really designed as a back country plane. And, it may be that this one isn't either.....

    It will be very interesting to see the "finished product". But, with Van's track record, I'm betting this will be a winner.

    MTV

    MTV
    I have a lot (for a new design) of hours in a S-21, it is not a backcountry plane. I’m building a Bearhawk Companion to be a backcountry plane. I think the Vans fans will line up to buy/build the 15.

  31. #71
    Lisa Martin LMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like all the glass. That’s about as light as it can be: no paint, no interior, small tires, looks like one seat, no lights.


    Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

  32. #72

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Van's just posted another video from their employee reveal, showing some of the features up close. Kinda neat how the shock absorbers are internal so there is less of a drag penalty.

    Thanks skukum12, ScaleBackcountryPilot thanked for this post

  33. #73
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    22,075
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those are some big Fowler flaps.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  34. #74
    Formandfunction's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2022
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks alot nicer up close and seems to have some good features.
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

  35. #75
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    12,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Those are some big Fowler flaps.
    Actually, those are some Huge flaps.

    Interesting looking gear as well. Look at this photo, zoom in on gear attach, it’s got some sort of shock system where the gear attaches.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E96B348A-EA4F-438D-B316-F715B5310395.jpeg 
Views:	290 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	61719

    MTV
    Last edited by mvivion; 07-11-2022 at 09:43 PM.

  36. #76

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canyon, tx
    Posts
    1,038
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bushwheels help the looks of nearly everything. I’d like a dollar from every one they sell.
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

  37. #77

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    SE Montana
    Posts
    479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Formandfunction View Post
    Looks alot nicer up close and seems to have some good features.
    I agree, looks way better up close, and with bigger tires. Now, if they'd just fix that cowling...
    Interested to see the inner workings of that suspension.

  38. #78
    stewartb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Wolf Lake, AK
    Posts
    7,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    That cowl looks like a scale model of a Skywagon cowl without an air filter. If it cools the engine and doesn’t add unnecessary drag? Bravo.

  39. #79
    Crash, Jr.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw that on Facebook. Looks like I have to eat my words; that's a suspension system. It's hard to imagine how they fit it in there but it's very cool to see them pushing the envelope.
    Likes ak49flyer, DENNY liked this post

  40. #80

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,903
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the tailwheel steering and suspension. Also looks like a adjustable stabilizer which is a huge advantage!!! DENNY

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •