• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Front trim pulley bracket worn (big time)

bertievdbunte

Teuge, EHTE, The Netherlands
Hi there,

Just acquired my 3rd PA-18 for bannertowing in The Netherlands. Flew it from Portugal back to here and now we are doing a big inspection before putting it to work.

The major thing we found was this trim pulley bracket (see pictures). It is worn big time on both sides of the bracket. And the bolt/axis was sliced of for about 25% its dia !!

Any advice on how to repair the attachment bracket? Or is there no other way but replacing them.

Looking forward for your help and thanks in advance of course.

Regarsd
Bert van de Bunte
image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 142
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 139
Mine was slightly worn, not as bad as that, but I made a bushing for it.

I did the same. Used a grinder to open up the hole evenly to a larger size and installed a bronze bushing. Good as new, actually better since it's a bronze bushing and very smooth now.

Part number I used was FF520-15 from Aircraft Spruce.

The hole is pretty oblong and may not be salvageable,
You’ll need to drill it large enough to clean up existing hole ( make it round again)
find or make a bronze bushing to press fit into new hole.
Ace Hardware item around here.
trim bushing to correct depth

F4103A25-D985-45F2-A1FA-5B9D595523E8.jpeg

Attachments

• F4103A25-D985-45F2-A1FA-5B9D595523E8.jpeg
    F4103A25-D985-45F2-A1FA-5B9D595523E8.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Bert,
That is horribly worn bracket, so of course a simple hat bushing will fix that problem....however you most certainly
Should replace the pulley??? If it isn't a perfect V shape all
The way to the bottom? Now is the time for a new one. Good luck
E

I'd recommend the new Univair trim handle. Just got one recently and compared to the old handles they are VERY nice. Billet aluminum with silver anodized finish and the hole for the shaft is round instead of square like the old window crank handles. Fits tight and the pin fit perfectly.

Thanks all, placed bushings in it and now is well. Inspected the pulley itself as well, but the groove looked okay! Will be recovering/refurbishing the whole thing in about two years so now I only want 'cheap' repairs, fly it with banners for one or two years and pull it a part,

Thanks again , Bert

Back