Thread: Javron PA18 newbie

Post Thanks / Like

Javron PA18 newbie

Hi everyone, my names Damian and I live in Australia and have just ordered a PA18 Javron kit from Jay. Im fairly new to flying only starting aroud 9 years ago and we've owned an Australian designed 2 seat aerobat cruiser called a Victa Airtourer, followed by an Rv7A and now the old bus - the cessna 172XP. Im 6'2 and always felt like a praying mantis in the first two, and as much as we love the 172XP for big trips, its a boring bus to fly.

I don't have great access to Cubs where I live, but after seeing my first - I was sold! After a few flights and seeing them in Oshkosh a few years ago I'm finally in a fortunate enough position to purchase and build. Whilst we wait our turn for Jay's production run, I'm taking this opportunity to purchase tools and setup my workshop as I have to almost import everything from the USA for this build. It's all a bit daunting not being able to see first hand half of the things I need to buy, however thanks to some wonderful online resources, trips to Kosh and communities like Supercub.org couple with a bit of good ole faith - I'm looking forward to this project.
    With the "Rona" lockdowns we are experiencing down-under, I also need to put some of this wasted time to better use.

After considering the style of flying my wife and I do, together with destroying my back and a knee in an accident, this has steered some of our options. My wife will also likely learn to fly in this too!

Other than all the normal mods, I've ordered a 4" wide fuse, 3" Gear with extra cross brace and fuel steps, extra angled fwd door post (for easier entry), inertia reel belts, ACME aero, Grove double puck heel brakes, 31'' ABW, standard round tip wing with Keller-PSTOL flaps, 2 x 24 US Gal fuel tanks, thrustline 2" lowered engine mount, overhead flap handle, larger baggage doors, standard split right door and full tilt shooters left window, electric elevator trim and 2 autopilot servo mounts. I've also decided to try the exhaust system Jays had made to suit the 0-360 with the lowered engine mount after reading about some of the interference
    points with this lower cowl. The goal is to fit a 0-360 with the ground adjustable composite whirlwind and I'm still looking into the Dynon HDX avionics after having success with these fitted in my RV. I'll definately sit on the fence with avionics as who knows what the next 2 years could bring with new products?

I've already been reading through the Northland drawings, Cub TCDS, Backcountry build links and the parts manuals - and of course all of the awesome work that you have all shared.

I'm trying put together some parts orders and was hoping someone could share some experience?

• rather than purchasing each small rubber fuel line piece from univair-for the fittings between the tanks and the wing route fuel lines, can the same product be purchase in greater single lengths to cut yourself and any recommendations - or are some of these pieces formed / shaped?
    • what fuel line clamps are recommended for these connections? (I have the pipe flairing tool)and cant seem to locate many from the standard part no/s
    • is the standard fuel tank filler neck - cover rubber grommet that univair stocks - just a normal rubber flat grommet - or is it slightly conical shaped?
    • with the 2" lowered mount, is there much fabrication req. for the gascolator fitment? I'll use a Steve's A/C unit

Thanks everyoneClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Victa.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	56954Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rv7A.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	56953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xp.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	56955

Damian
    Thanks 8GCBC thanked for this post
    Likes 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Damian - I’m not sure what options you ordered with your kit, but mine came with rubber fuel line hose and clamps as part of the fuel system plumbing.

Sam

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Sam. I ordered the fuel line kit yet I wasn't completely sure if all the fittings and fixtures were supplied. Thanks for clearing that up! I'm following your build too and thanks for taking the time to share your journey.
    Thanks Sam D thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Damian, great to hear you've ordered a Javron! I'm finishing off a Carbon Cub and think a Javron might be next. Maybe 2 in a shipping container might be a good cost saving. I'm in Brisbane.
    Cheers Nick
    Likes tackdog liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool to hear of others building. I ordered my Javron kit about a month ago. Pretty sure a good friend is about to order as well and we will build them up together. New Holstein was an expensive fly-in for me! Already working on a 700' strip at my farm here in NC.
    Likes tackdog liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    • rather than purchasing each small rubber fuel line piece from univair-for the fittings between the tanks and the wing route fuel lines, can the same product be purchase in greater single lengths to cut yourself and any recommendations - or are some of these pieces formed / shaped? If I understand what you are asking, just use fuel line that you can get from your local auto parts store. Yes, get a couple of feet. This hose will also accept auto fuel to include ethanol. Having a few inches of flexible hose between the tank fitting and the hard line will also provide a buffer for vibration and movement
    • what fuel line clamps are recommended for these connections? (I have the pipe flairing tool)and cant seem to locate many from the standard part no/s
    • Just use the standard screw hose clamps that you use on car hoses again available from the local auto parts store. No need to create a flare, I've not had a leak from this area as long as the hose fits on properly and you shove to on for an inch or two.
    • is the standard fuel tank filler neck - cover rubber grommet that univair stocks - just a normal rubber flat grommet - or is it slightly conical shaped? I got mine at Home Depot in the plumbing section. Sometimes you may have to modify things a little but it will often work quite well, look professional and cost FAR less
    • with the 2" lowered mount, is there much fabrication req. for the gascolator fitment? I'll use a Steve's A/C unit Steve makes a great unit. You do need to be aware of placement, not only for engine mount clearance but also for floorboard, rudder pedal, and firewall X brace clearance. You will want it to be as low as possible but don't forget the floorboard thickness.

Hope all this helps a little. Congratulations on the build. You are going to love it (and probably hate it at times) but the end product is well worth it. Next time you talk to Jay ask for the names of other Aussies that have, or are building, Javrons. There are several Javron kits over there.

Good luck

Bill
    Very Blessed. "It's not an obsession, it's a passion"
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Auto Fuel injection rubber hose is about as good as it get for different fuels . Ethanol,oil resistant
    Thanks tackdog thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply Bill, always helpful
    Thanks Toro thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nick, great to hear some more will be arriving down under. I’ll send you a pm soon.

cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    EQG did that live at Quirindi. I think I flew that yrs ago

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not sure, I bought it from a bloke who operated from his private farm about 5k to the north of the Temora aerodrome and he owned it for years. I think it was online near Bankstown decades ago before that.

Post Thanks / Like

Gear Safety Cables

Hi everyone.

What gear safety cables do I need to order for the Javron PA18 wide body with 3" HD taller landing gear?

I was looking at Atlee's website and noticed they have the 3" taller OR the wide body cables - not both, or are people manufacturing their own for the experimental?

Thanks again!

Damian

Post Thanks / Like
    PA-12 (w/ PA-18 gear) 3" extended should work for that application. I'm pretty sure they make 4" wide body 3" extended cables for Airframes and Dakota fuselages but you might have to call Atlee on the phone to order them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called Atlee and they made a set of custom cables for the Javron gear as it is slightly narrower than their certified gear. I believe there was a price break on Experimental as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Psalms 19:1

Post Thanks / Like
    Damian. I've built 3 early Backcountry Supercubs that were made by Jay and his prototype PA-12. I would opt for the square tip wing with the bigger flaps. It is not too late if you call Jay now and change your order. Slower approach speed and higher rate of climb with almost no noticeable difference in airspeed. If you haven't ordered your engine do it now as there are shortages of cranks. A friend just ordered his from Aerosport Power and he was down to 3 cranks with no idea when he was going to get any more. I also strongly recommend the Catto 84/43 prop for great performance. Also you might want to change to the 12. I love this airplane. A LOT more comfortable than an 18 and I was just talking to Jay this week about using the same aileron control set up as on the 18 to get rid of all the monkey motion of the 12 controls. The 12 weighs the same as the last PA 18 I did and performs exactly the same as both airplanes have the same engine/prop combo.
    Vans RV7 finished 2008
    Backcountry Super Cub finished 2011
    A&P Aircraft rebuilding, Building assistance
    1956 Supercub complete rebuild
    Thanks RookieCubPilot thanked for this post
    Likes RookieCubPilot liked this post