• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

UNLEADED AVGAS Announcement

The Norden is using an 80” 4 blade E-Props fixed pitch yielding 771 pounds of thrust with the 915 iS. Sure you won’t have the torque of the Titan but you’ll still win the power to weight ratio and performance above 5,000ft. View attachment 57001

Looks great. This old dog is always open to new tricks. Still as we say at home... I'll see it when I believe it.:-x:lol::lol:

I think what isn't mentioned here is that the Rotax uses a much smaller prop which will result in much lower performance on a larger airplane. For example, a 220 Stearman hauls its heavy weight briskly into the air with a 108 inch McCauley steel prop. Put a shorter wood prop on it and it's a dog. Put a tiny prop on a Rotax powered Bearhawk, and I have serious doubts. Another example was the old OX-5 powered planes like the Waco 10 and, Lincoln Page and Brunner Winkle Bird. 90HP and carrying 3 people. They turned 1300 revs on a good day, according to my grandfather, but that long prop pulled them into the sky. I don't know of any Rotax powered planes that have big props. Great on a Rans, but it's a light machine, appropriate to the prop length and high revving engine.

As for the lead issue, .. please tell me where the Mayo Clinic report says anything at all about AvGas being a source of lead poisoning? Did they forget, or is it actually a non-issue. 100LL, yeah we all laughed when "high lead" LL100 came out. Only 4 times the lead of 80 octane. So full of lead they had to design new spark plugs for C-150's. Somebody had to come up with an answer to the California granola set, so good for GAMI. That said, you can bet they'll keep scratching and digging to shut us down. today I got a notice form SNG Barret, makers of parts for vintage Jaguars. The newly formed Alliance for Historic and Classic Vehicles is fighting against restrictions in Europe on operating and restoring old cars. That is coming our way as well, so we need to prepare. GAMI's work is a step in the right direction.

View attachment 56995

High revving engine for sure, but the reduction systems makes that a non issue. I routinely take off my down hill strip with 15-1700 rpm at the prop, and cruise it at less then 2000 prop RPM, which is a 78" Prince, a pretty big prop for a 760 pound plane.

There is a an STC for one engine type and one airframe type and no one is producing the fuel, yet. The intent is to keep adding engine airframe combinations to the STC. It will take awhile but that should cause a market to be created that will interest a blender or refinery to produce the fuel. Current comments are 80 cents more a gallon and one to two years before we start seeing the fuel. If the government bans lead we have auto gas, swift 94 and GAMI G100UL as only options to date. STC’s were quoted at $400 each on the latest youtube interview last week on AOPA site.

The government should just provide a blanket approval for the change over. This is decades late to bring to market.
I have been running 104 unleaded in road race cars for decades, the base fuel has always been available.

Last edited:
I love the new zlin norden - it looks fantastic. I love that it looks like a plane should - a cub. That's always detracted me from the kitfoxes, just, rans, etc... Just give me a round tail feather so the plane looks like it should! ;-)

I also believe that Steve Henry is running an 82" prop on his 300hp apex powered Just. If memory serves, I think he was getting more than 1,000lbs static pull. That's crazy. I don't know if it would work on a 2+2 bearhawk, but plenty of power coming out of these smaller props turning high rpms.

Back