• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ferry Permits 2021

stewartb

I said I’d provide a pirep so here it is. I filed the new electronic request for a special flight permit at about 2:00 today and by 4:00 I had an email from FSDO saying I need to add a copy of a logbook entry stating

An appropriately Certificated Mechanic or Repair Station shall inspect the aircraft. An entry shall be made in the aircraft maintenance record that certifies the aircraft is “Safe for the intended flight” and “No airworthiness directives (AD) apply except in accordance with requirements of the AD”.

I didn’t see that requirement in the instructions but I was in a hurry. My FAA guy wanted to issue today but I didn’t see this email in time so I’ll wait until tomorrow. In essence that means I get a Special Flight Permit in just a couple of hours and the paperless process is pretty darn simple. Here’s the link to the paperless request, the detailed instructions, and form 8130-6 that you can fill out on the computer, print, sign, scan, and attach to the request. Overall I’m pleased with the concept and very pleased with the response time.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/field_offices/fsdo/phl/local_more/media/ferry_permit.pdf

When I got a ferry permit last year this policy was in place but when I called FSDO they were willing to adapt the process between the form and the phone. Being a creature of habit I called to do it that way again but now the process is what it says. You have to submit the application on the web. The FSDO guy said they're having some customers struggle with the process and they will help customers navigate the application but it has to be submitted electronically. My first attempt at the application was a bit frustrating as I couldn't get the form to light up past my N number. I tried a different computer and it did the same thing. Then, once I had filled in the N number I used the drop-down symbol, saw my N number there, selected it, and voila, the form went live. The rest was easy. My requested date needs to get pushed back a week for my mechanic's schedule so I'll find out how that works but if it's like the application itself? I can't find reason to be unhappy. The response time for the paperless application is better than what I expected. I have to give credit where credit is due.

A lot of government software is designed to support only MicroSoft browser. So if your having problems with web applications and are not using MicroSoft Internet Explorer or perhaps now MicroSoft Edge, try using one of those browsers with Internet Explorer the first choice. Seems weird, but the quirks of using a government website with legacy code thats been approved by the administrators using IT rules. I think it revolves around the firewalls that are put in place.

The application states what browsers are supported. Chrome is one of them. The only hitch in the process was that the N number needed to be selected from their drop-down. From there the rest of the form was populated automatically from the info on the aircraft registration. The only problem with the function was that I didn't understand it at first but in retrospect it makes perfect sense that the drop-down was pulling the N number from their database.

When using the AWC portal, there are things that can trip you up. If you want a ferry permit, make sure you select "Special Flight Permit" NOT "New Application"! The system only allows one application for a given N# to be active at any point in time, and if you select the wrong thing, you need to get rid of the first application before you can start a new one. There are some other problem areas in the application, and the users guide is almost 270 pages long. Not very user friendly. It is also so SLOW when repopulating the pages. Sit back with your coffee and wait! don't keep clicking things on the screen! I've been using it for over a year now and my applicants have problems with it about 80% of the time.

I did a ferry permit with the online software earlier this month to retrieve a derelict plane from Florida. It took a few tries to figure out what they wanted in the web page, but I also found the airworthiness inspector in Orlando to be very helpful with getting it issued. Once I had the logs completed and submitted, he had the Ferry permit to me in about 15 minutes.

Got one back in March to ferry a 206 400 miles. Took longer to fill out the form than to get it.

Salt Lake FSDO required that we hire a DAR and they were required to come inspect the airplane. However, it was more than just "out of annual"....

Back