• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Electric fuel pump discovery...

astjp2

Utah/Alaska
So I was working on replacing a Facet cube type rattle pump. What surprised me was it had a diode on the main power wire going to ground that was attached to the +12V wire connector. I didnt think that it needed it but when I went to the wiring diagram, it was shown there. So I am wondering why it would need it. Tim

Post the diagram and maybe someone will know?

Edit: Apparently they can be used with pos or neg ground. Maybe something to do with that? Reverse polarity protection?

Gary

Last edited:
It’s there to prevent voltage spikes when the pump operates. Most if not all relay type devices will have a back biased diode to prevent the spike in induced voltage when the magnetic field collapses.

Every time the current flow stops in a coil (like the one in the pump) a voltage spike is generated. This spike can be as much as two to three times the original voltage and is ALWAYS reverse polarity. A spike diode is placed across the leads of the coil, backwards. I.e., the positive lead from the diode is connected to the ground lead of the coil and the negative lead from the diode is connected to the positive lead of the coil. The means that under normal circumstances the diode will not conduct and will have no effect on the pump circuit. But the moment a reverse polarity spike is generated in the coil, the diode conducts and literally short circuits the spike. Preventing this spike from moving up the wire harness protects all items with diodes/chips in their circuits.

Web

Any chance you could post the wiring diagram that shows that diode. I'm curious what diode is specified.

Jerry

30 years ago when designing circuits, I used 1N4004 diodes in this application. I see the Wikipedia article shows 1N4007. Probably the same in this application.

Rich

The drawing does not give a part number for the diodediode.JPG

Attachments

• diode.JPG
    diode.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 129
As Web pointed out, any 4000 series diode will do. I used to use 1N4004. Other example show 1N4007

Rich

The drawing does not give a part number for the diodeView attachment 57187

I assume the diagram is not from the pump manufacturer? It is a solid state pump so the control of the coil is from a transistor internal to the pump. Flyback concerns would have to be addressed internally to protect switching transistor that turns the coil on and off at a frequency. The diode in the diagram is on the wrong side of the transistor. I would think if flyback were happening the first casualty would be the pump transistor. I did ask Facet support if there were external flyback concerns and they said there were none and that diode was not needed. I have two transfer pumps in my plane and no external diodes that I can find.

I'm not trying to make any point, just trying to better understand things. I'm sure there is something I'm missing here.

Jerry

I assume the diagram is not from the pump manufacturer? It is a solid state pump so the control of the coil is from a transistor internal to the pump. Flyback concerns would have to be addressed internally to protect switching transistor that turns the coil on and off at a frequency. The diode in the diagram is on the wrong side of the transistor. I would think if flyback were happening the first casualty would be the pump transistor. I did ask Facet support if there were external flyback concerns and they said there were none and that diode was not needed. I have two transfer pumps in my plane and no external diodes that I can find.

I'm not trying to make any point, just trying to better understand things. I'm sure there is something I'm missing here.

Jerry

I think you're referring to a different model pump. There are newer ones that have circuit controls but the majority of the ones in use are going to be the style in post #3.
If they have a circuit card for control, I agree that the most likely do not need a spike diode. But the old style can make some noise and may benefit from a diode.

Web

It’s like chicken soup. It couldn’t hurt. If it’s not needed, putting it on does nothing except raise your empty weight. :)

Rich

Web, as I understood the original post it was a reference to a Facet Cube style which as I understand it is a solid state circuit activated coil.

I have two of the Facet Pumps in post#3 and no diode protection external to the pump that I can see. I will look further. This on the Maule so who knows what design concerns are addressed. I have another plumbing project with a version of the Cube and was just curious if the external diode in question was actually a TVS diode possibly, hence my asking for the part description.

Thanks - Jerry

Well a Maule is a whole different argument, lol.

The drawing in #11 is an airframe diagram. The spike diode might just be a leftover from earlier installations. I pulled up random drawings for some of the Cubes, from Facet, and didn't find a reference to anything other than power and ground connections.

Web

Well a Maule is a whole different argument, lol.

The drawing in #11 is an airframe diagram. The spike diode might just be a leftover from earlier installations. I pulled up random drawings for some of the Cubes, from Facet, and didn't find a reference to anything other than power and ground connections.

Web
And the pumps in the Maule clearly state "For Automotive Use Only".

But then again I don't think Facet touts any of their pumps as "Aircraft" rated.;-)

As far as tossing any jelly bean diode where it is not needed, I have a belief that the less connections the better.

Jerry

Piper sport, and a cube pump, not one of those fancy pumps with a filter…it’s just soldered to the wires external to the pump.

Maybe it was audible on the radio>

"Some energy is also lost from the system as a whole and from the arc as a broad spectrum of electromagnetic radiation, in the form of radio waves and light. These radio waves can cause undesirable clicks and pops on nearby radio receivers.To minimise the antenna-like radiation of this electromagnetic energy from wires connected to the inductor, the flyback diode should be connected as physically close to the inductor as practicable. This approach also minimises those parts of the circuit that are subject to an unwanted high-voltage — a good engineering practice"

Back