• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Big Tail

skukum12

The Last Frontier
I am selling dad's 206 and some questions have popped up about the plane that I cannot answer. It has the "big tail." Is this mandatory for a float install or something that is great to have? Please learn me anything about this particular feature. Thanks all

I am selling dad's 206 and some questions have popped up about the plane that I cannot answer. It has the "big tail." Is this mandatory for a float install or something that is great to have? Please learn me anything about this particular feature. Thanks all

If by big tail you mean the long-chord rudder (also requires a vertical stab cap and extended tail cone), those are required components for a float install. Some land plane operators also ordered airplanes with the float kit because they liked the big rudder. It’s rather costly to retrofit the float kit with the rudder being the worst offender, so it adds value to the airplane even on wheels.

If you are referencing the wider horizontal tail, that is not required but the very early 206s are not as desirable due to gross weight limitations compared to their younger brethren.

—Amy

Does it have lifting eyes on the top of the cabin? If so, it likely has the factory seaplane kit. The big tail is part of the seaplane kit.

1968 C Model and later should have the larger Horizontals. Having the lifting rings does not always mean you have a larger rudder. You could order The float kit package C Which included lifting rings but not the larger Rudder, stinger, or bungies. This was handy for people disassembling and shipping planes. Float kits came in three versions A, B, and C from the factory. I did not sleep at Motel six last night to gain this trivia knowledge. I was camped by Joe Stancil so cornered him this morning and got a quick update of knowledge hopefully I did not miss anything. DENNY

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.

No lifting eyes. The guy that told me it had a big tail only referred to the horizontals.

This A, B, C float option brings another question. Would Cessna have corrosion proofed(zinc chromate?)every aircraft that came with any float kit? I also would like to learn more about the A, B, and C options.

20210706_163601.jpg

I don't know if this pic sheds any light on the subject of the tail. My wife may have a better angle photo.

Attachments

• 20210706_163601.jpg
    20210706_163601.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 114
2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Good advice, however I wont be home for another week, the logs are about 650 miles south of my location. Asking questions here on the dot org is how I get my airplane fix while at work.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 129
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 115
Thanks for the replies.

No lifting eyes. The guy that told me it had a big tail only referred to the horizontals.

This A, B, C float option brings another question. Would Cessna have corrosion proofed(zinc chromate?)every aircraft that came with any float kit? I also would like to learn more about the A, B, and C options.

I do not see any evidence of a float kit on this airplane. The easy visual cues are windshield V-brace, lifting rings, and big tail, though that isn't fully foolproof. Here's the rundown of float kits. Float kit C was just corrosion proofing and stainless cables, plus some fuselage structure. When we install floats at Wipaire for 1980s and earlier 206s, pricing is predicated on the airplane having a complete factory float kit A or B.

Here is a handy reference on the different float kits (attached).

--Amy

Attachments

• 180-185-206 Seaplane Kits.pdf
    348.7 KB · Views: 129
Here’s a wrench into the works, I put a 1981 206 on floats with a factory float kit that didn’t have any corrosion proofing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back