• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sticking Valve or Bad Valve Guide?

aeroaddict

Boise ID area
Engine; Titan 340, TT 218 hrs (yes a new engine).

#2 cylinder dropped out and had zero compression on a run up (thankfully).

Upon inspection, borescope shows carbon build up but not any burnt valves. Exhaust valve appears to be the problem. When cycling the prop thru and watching the valve mechanics, #2 exhaust valve does not fully close. Using your hand and putting slight sideways force on the springs, the vavle will snap close.

I have tried soaking it with MMO, and have done a couple of run ups, but no compression. Always the same issue described above.

Any ideas or solutions are apppreciated.

Any ideas or solutions are appreciated.

Can you see the valve stem with the boroscope when the valve is fully open? If so, how does this sticking valve compare for build up when compared to an exhaust valve in a good cylinder?

Perhaps need to pull the exhaust pipe for that cylinder to see the valve stem?

Either way a bummer on an almost new engine.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will remove the exhaust pipe, look at the stem and report back most likely tomorrow.

Update; pulled off the exhaust pipe and borescoped the valve stem. It was coated pretty good. I took the advise of a good friend (A&P also) and blocked off the exhaust port to fill the chamber with MMO. Will let it soak for a day or so.

Since I have the exhaust basically loose, I will borescope the other cylinders tomorrow. Have a fencing project taking precidence over the plane right now.

Warrenty claim: of course, but I rather try to fix it and fly if possible.

Last edited:
Pic: it's a pic of a pic, so not great quality. Looks like a lot of junk built up on the stem.

Valve-1.jpg

Attachments

• Valve-1.jpg
    Valve-1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 398
I took the advise of a good friend (A&P also) and blocked off the exhaust port to fill the chamber with MMO. Will let it soak for a day or so.

I suppose that might give temporary relief from the problem but it won't answer what caused it or prevent it from happening again.

I just looked at the exhaust valve from an O-360 cylinder I pulled at about 2,800 hours. It looks a lot better than yours.

Last edited:
Well that IS the question. In most conversations about this the main questions are: how do you lean and do you lean on the ground?

Answer to both questions is yes, but the buildup would imply not leaning enough(?)

Ha! Hoppies make total sense. Thanks

I should have more time tomorrow to check the other cylinders for comparison.

Back