• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Rust Treatment

Aeronut

Kittery, ME
I'm working through welding up my empennage and fuselage. It'll likely be 1.5 to 2 years before those pieces are ready for epoxy primer. I've got a light brown tinge developing on the welds that will likely be full on rust at some point. Are there any recommendations for treatments I can put on completed joints until the whole part is ready for primer? If not, would putting a spot spray of epoxy primer on the joints be OK in the meantime?

Many years ago my Dad`s IA would put a light coat of oil on those areas and then clean it off before blasting when the time came to prime.

I have a steel fab shop. SOP is the spray a coat of gray primer on welds or grinds as soon as they’re cool. In your case cheapo Krylon primer would protect the parts until you’re ready for paint and is easy to strip-prep.

I use a far better than Krylon primer but any one will help. Even a rattle can of paint since they all will seal the environment out.
As for oils, they have a chance to penetrate any porosity there might be and be problematic in the distant future.

Since 1947, this is what the pro's use. Made for your mission exactly.Screenshot_20210717-044027.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210717-044027.png
    Screenshot_20210717-044027.png
    142.3 KB · Views: 184
Back