• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Attlee Defroster Install Question

KJC

FRIEND
Clear Lake, MN
Do these deflector brackets really get mounted on top of the hole like the directions say or am I reading them wrong? Could the possibility go in front?

2D356BA6-6E53-43D5-A2C5-E9A17EC0E1C3.jpg15483DF6-8B15-47FF-A7B6-9E230A176295.jpg

Attachments

• 2D356BA6-6E53-43D5-A2C5-E9A17EC0E1C3.jpg
    2D356BA6-6E53-43D5-A2C5-E9A17EC0E1C3.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 118
  • 15483DF6-8B15-47FF-A7B6-9E230A176295.jpg
    15483DF6-8B15-47FF-A7B6-9E230A176295.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 125
On most cubs I've seen installed, the deflector goes in front of the hole "grommet" and parallel to the windshield line. I think it just keeps the hottest air from blowing straight on the glass and possibly hazing it slightly.

When I had them on a couple planes I ended up bending them to direct the hot air to my line of sight ahead. Might have made them taller to do that. Winter frost on the inside shield made it easy to figure out the best angle. That setup plus a moveable hot air hose kept the vision clear down to -40F or lower.

Gary

I've seen where too direct, and too hot of air has heat distorted the windshield. The deflectors are probably to help prevent that. May also be to get the windshield cleared off up where your'e actually looking out in front of the plane, not at the engine cowling.

Jim

They’re intended to go over the flange/hole like your first pic- they hold the flange in place, as well as keep from melting the windshield.

Maybe call Atlee and see what they recommend?

That would be butt ugly with the deflector over the flange. The flange is pretty tall and you would need to stack some washers under the ends of the deflector piece to make that work. Folks must be holding the flange in place with high temp RTV or something because I haven't yet seen an install with the deflector like it is in pic #1.

I called Atlee today and Justin couldn’t remember how he did it in his Cub but will get some pictures this evening. I usually try and follow the directions, but I don’t see why you can’t use silicone to hold them down and put the deflector in front flush with the boot cowl. The #6 instrument screws that hold them down are going to need a stack of washers like mentioned above to keep the deflector from rolling backwards. And I think it might look somewhat awkward.

You don't need to glue them down. Hold them down and slide the hose on, all the way up to the lower side of the glare shield, and clamp them down. The hose will hold them in place.

Web

I found I eventually wanted them taller on three so made my own set. Glued with RTV Ultra Black.

Gary

Unless someone comes up with a good reason, I’m going to put the deflectors in front of the grommets and hold the grommets in place with black RTV on the underside so it won’t show. Between that and the hose clamp they shouldn’t go anywhere. It’ll look more professional.

I would set them on top. Putting them in front does nothing! You do not want that air to come straight out of the vent, the tab will help disperse it you will clear more area and less risk of windscreen damage. The scat tubing in my cub is over 200 degrees when I tested it with a heat gun. Mine has a single vent with larger homemade tab DENNY

Back