Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Experimental LODA Requirements - We’re not happy until you’re not happy…

Post Thanks / Like
    I applied for LODA to receive instruction in my experimental aircraft and to give instruction in other experimental aircraft. Application was made 7/9/21 and LODA were received 7/13/21. That's less than three business days. Maybe I got in ahead of the rush.

Unfortunately each LODA specifies AX as my state of residence instead of AZ. When that's corrected I shall be free, once again, to make my fortune as a flight instructor.
    Thanks stewartb thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    Unfortunately each LODA specifies AX as my state of residence instead of AZ.
    Well it was my mistake in the application email and the LODA faithfully reproduced the address I had given them. Corrected in a few hours by SDL FSDO.
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Those bastards!
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I applied for a LODA today - 7/13/21. Got an immediate automated reply email acknowledging receipt. I’m told by a FSDO rep that FAA outsourced the work and response time should be prompt. I’ll update this post when I get something back.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    Thanks SJ thanked for this post
    Likes 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark Baker addresses this issue in last night's HDHP: https://youtu.be/BAaTix5zTaY

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JDWilliams View Post
    I applied for a LODA today - 7/13/21. Got an immediate automated reply email acknowledging receipt. I’m told by a FSDO rep that FAA outsourced the work and response time should be prompt. I’ll update this post when I get something back.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org
    My acknowledgement came from DigitaliBiz and my signed LODA from ANC FSDO came less than 3 hours after. I’m impressed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Darn, and we thought we had something to all get pissy over. And here they developed a system that looks like it will work for what they intend to do, and that is to weed out the,
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process
    Likes Utah-Jay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven’t seen my come back yet. I’ll post when it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    And I’ll post how quickly I get a ferry permit after requesting it. Last year it took half a day. I don’t expect much different this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    And I’ll post how quickly I get a ferry permit after requesting it. Last year it took half a day. I don’t expect much different this year.
    And field approvals too. I hope for your sake the Alaska Fsdo’s don’t change. They can not issue them out of the two Fsdo’s around here. Hell they wouldn’t even respond to me when I had a question if you can put a transponder in a airplane with out a engine driven power source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks C130jake thanked for this post
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s the latest: FAA will prosecute any instructor who provides instruction in limited, EX, etc planes, even if they didn’t accept ANY money. https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...xDJ2zID7HpNSFY

Apparently, the experience is compensation…..

Cant make this stuff up.

MTV
    Likes Colorado-Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, here's a snapshot of my LODA. No problem for my instructors. In fact it appears an instructor can get a LODA that's valid in any airplane he's qualified in using the same process. Seems pretty uneventful, at least with respect to experimentals. I don't know anything about limited category rules.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by stewartb; 07-16-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In fact it appears an instructor can get a LODA that's valid in any airplane he's qualified in using the same process.
    Went there, did that, got the LODA, and also posted about it earlier in this thread.
    Likes stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent the email for my LODA last Friday, and it arrived in my inbox on Tuesday. That's pretty darned quick service from the FAA!!
    Joe

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my LODA today in my email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    For FAA to make such a quick turn around is astounding. That said, it goes to say that this entire fiasco has absolutely nothing to do with safety. My letter simply asked for a loda that would cover me as CFI in every aircraft for which I was rated. Just a paperwork shuffle, no review of experience, no interview, just send an email and get an email back. I suppose they actually checked to see I had a CFI, but nothing more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent_flyer View Post
    Unfortunately each LODA specifies AX as my state of residence instead of AZ. When that's corrected I shall be free, once again, to make my fortune as a flight instructor.
    I hear it's really nice out there in Aoxamoxa, our 51st state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    Here’s the latest: FAA will prosecute any instructor who provides instruction in limited, EX, etc planes, even if they didn’t accept ANY money... Apparently, the experience is compensation…..

Cant make this stuff up.

MTV
    Gosh, is this retroactive? I like looking at airplanes, but don't have a CPL. I was thinking about going to Oshkosh... Those C-47s are really neat. But hey, don't they gross out over 12,500? Do I need a type rating? An instrument hood? Black contact lenses?
    Likes 46 Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m hearing from my LIT FSDO contacts (a very GA friendly FSDO) that the days of getting a ferry permit quickly are pretty much gone. Same day turn around still possible - but don’t count on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t anticipate any problem and the young lady I spoke to at FSDO this morning said it should be simple. If anything delays the process its that FSDO staff is still working from home. They may see some return to their offices in August. I’m a couple of weeks ahead of the game so there’s no rush on my account.

FWIW, a good friend in Georgia says he got a SFP a couple of weeks ago. Business as usual. Well, as usual as remotely staffed FSDOs can be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me 6 days to get my approval from the Denver FSDO.
    Likes jnorris, cubscout liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    LODA_Template.pdf (faa.gov)

Here's the fillable pdf you send to the FAA. email address on the first page.
    What's a go-around?
    Thanks Kid Durango thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    LODA received today to instruct in any experimental. Took a week. Not bad - not bad at all. - JD
    Likes jnorris liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is slightly off topic, my apologies if it doesn’t really apply.

if the FAA holds the position that flight time is compensation for CFI’s, what about a private pilot volunteering to fly a tow plane for a soaring club? Wouldn’t the flight time count as compensation, which would require a commercial and class 2?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt911 View Post
    This is slightly off topic, my apologies if it doesn’t really apply.

if the FAA holds the position that flight time is compensation for CFI’s, what about a private pilot volunteering to fly a tow plane for a soaring club? Wouldn’t the flight time count as compensation, which would require a commercial and class 2?
    The FAA has long held that flight time is compensation and given soaring re: towing gliders a sweetheart exemption. Private pilots can be paid to tow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
    The FAA has long held that flight time is compensation and given soaring re: towing gliders a sweetheart exemption. Private pilots can be paid to tow.
    I deleted my post. Looks like the rules changed to allow more than originally negotiated by SSA.
    Last edited by frequent_flyer; 07-23-2021 at 02:15 PM.