• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Torque for the AN6 bolts and AN363 nuts of the butt fitting

D-EBRG

Germany
Hello, I am looking for a bolt/nuts torque list for the Super Cub.
Does something like this exist?
I could not find values for the additional drag of those nuts.
Many thanks for your help.

When there isn’t any other source, fall back on AC43.13-1B. There is a torque chart there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When there isn’t any other source, fall back on AC43.13-1B. There is a torque chart there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
There is wide range of values in AC 43.13-1.B and the drag of the AN363 nut was never mentioned.
What torque value would an experienced mechanic select?
I came to a figure of max. 21NM plus 2 NM for the drag of the nut.!?

Recheck the charts in the AC43.13. They are very specific for standard AN hardware. The only difference will be whether the bolt is used in tension or in shear. There are also instructions on how to measure the drag torque of locking hardware. Basically it says that you measure the drag torque of your nut/bolt combination and add that value to torque spec given in the chart.

Web

There is wide range of values in AC 43.13-1.B and the drag of the AN363 nut was never mentioned.
What torque value would an experienced mechanic select?
I came to a figure of max. 21NM plus 2 NM for the drag of the nut.!?

The proper method for self locking nuts is to actually measure the running torque for the nut, and add that to the torque specified in the chart (Table 7-1). Table 7-2 gives you the minimum running torque for when to throw away used self locking nuts. This is not rocket science

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the pertinent paragraphs from the AC.43.

Web

Attachments

• drag torque.pdf
    65.7 KB · Views: 98
  • add drag torque.pdf
    34.3 KB · Views: 88
  • standard torque.pdf
    50.8 KB · Views: 134
  • torque table.pdf
    222.5 KB · Views: 167
  • min locknut torque.pdf
    113.7 KB · Views: 117
So, if you are installing a bolt with a locknut, hold the bolt to prevent it from turning. Install the locknut. Measure the torque required to turn the locknut BEFORE it contacts the structure. Add that measurement to the torque listed in table 7-1, checking the correct column for diameter, fine/course threads, and in tension or shear (note that the right hand columns are for high strength bolts). Set the torque wrench for the sum of the drag torque and torque derived from table 7-1. This setting will insure that the bolt will receive the correct torque in spite of the drag from the lock nut. Also be aware that the measured drag torque needs to be AT LEAST the value given in table 7-2. If drag torque measures less than that, through the nut away and use a new one.

Web

Drag torque, running torque, prevailing torque. Define each and explain how they are different. Cite your source for extra credit.

Back