• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wipaire Gross Weight Increase

Amy

SPONSOR
WI/MN/SD
I mentioned I would post in this in a different thread that is no longer available. This is the text from the Wipaire 2,000 lb. kit installation drawing. There are a few STCs that are specifically called out as compatible, but also a fair bit of latitude for the installing mechanic to establish compatibility with other modifications. SA292AL is likely the most interesting to you as it is what takes the older, lighter PA-18s up to PA-18-150 gross weights. (link here: https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_...C74CA85256CC20008CAD5?OpenDocument&Highlight= sa292al) I do not have a copy of SA292AL showing more detailed requirements, though, so you would want to check it to see how the two play together.

2000 lb. Drawing Package - Reference Only_Page_1.jpg

Attachments

• 2000 lb. Drawing Package - Reference Only_Page_1.jpg
    2000 lb. Drawing Package - Reference Only_Page_1.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 175
Interesting reading, Amy. Typical FAA where they make things clear as mud! In one case the list the PA-18-150 as the model eligible for installation while your installation drawing notes indicate all PA-18 serial 18-3771 and later (PA-18-150), and any PA-18 previously modified to a gross weight of 1750.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know of at least one PA-18-95 converted to 150 with the 2000lb kit. Installed and signed by Cub Crafters.

Interesting reading, Amy. Typical FAA where they make things clear as mud! In one case the list the PA-18-150 as the model eligible for installation while your installation drawing notes indicate all PA-18 serial 18-3771 and later (PA-18-150), and any PA-18 previously modified to a gross weight of 1750.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As the STC holder, we bear some of the responsibility for that—as it’s been told to me (and I wasn’t around when this modification was developed and certified, so take this with a grain of salt), we started with the PA-18-150 series and then the question came up about airplanes rebuilt essentially from dataplates, using components that made them structurally equivalent to PA-18-150 aircraft. That’s probably where the note about “modified equivalent” came from, and then it gets FAA muddy because the STC only lists the PA-18-150.

The goal of updating this STC is to make it more clear that the 2,000 lb. gross weight is applicable to PA-18-150s and equivalent other models but it is never quite so simple when updating the paperwork. I look forward to when that is finalized, though there will always be the question of the installing mechanic establishing compatibility with the hundreds of Super Cub mods available.

—Amy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As the STC holder, we bear some of the responsibility for that—as it’s been told to me (and I wasn’t around when this modification was developed and certified, so take this with a grain of salt), we started with the PA-18-150 series and then the question came up about airplanes rebuilt essentially from dataplates, using components that made them structurally equivalent to PA-18-150 aircraft. That’s probably where the note about “modified equivalent” came from, and then it gets FAA muddy because the STC only lists the PA-18-150.

The goal of updating this STC is to make it more clear that the 2,000 lb. gross weight is applicable to PA-18-150s and equivalent other models but it is never quite so simple when updating the paperwork. I look forward to when that is finalized, though there will always be the question of the installing mechanic establishing compatibility with the hundreds of Super Cub mods available.

—Amy

I sympathize with you guys doing STCs. I currently own two and have an application in for a third. The Aircraft Certification guys don’t have a clue about old airplanes! Every time I get a new advisor, I have to educate them about the CARs. It’s always challenging.

Can I assume as long as the fuel meets ASTM D910-21 equivalency of 100 or 100/130 it's ok? 100LL does.

Gary

Back