Thread: PA-12 Seat Adjust?

Post Thanks / Like

PA-12 Seat Adjust?

A good friend has a PA-12 and he has offered to let me fly it. I got in it and found that my knees were jammed up against the panel and I couldn't find any way to adjust the seat. Is the seat supposed to be adjustable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Knik_flyer View Post
    A good friend has a PA-12 and he has offered to let me fly it. I got in it and found that my knees were jammed up against the panel and I couldn't find any way to adjust the seat. Is the seat supposed to be adjustable?
    No

Post Thanks / Like
    The PA-12 is roomy. It's the "getting-in" part that's challenging for anyone extra large, extra tall or flexibility-challenged. For me (5'-10" with legs a little on the short side) the seat position works well, though an adjustable seat would make ingress/egress a lot easier.
    Last edited by NunavutPA-12; 07-01-2021 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an stc for a PA 18 adjustable seat I believe.

I feel your pain though, I lost out on my 1st flying job because I had the same issue in the PA 12. Also sucked because I could have got my AME license there at the same time.....probably would still be working there actually. Anyhow oh well not meant to be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there an STC for making the seat adjustable? Has anyone had a field approval for a Cessna seat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by akmarty View Post
    Is there an STC for making the seat adjustable? Has anyone had a field approval for a Cessna seat?
    I have worked on a -12 that had a PA-28 seat/rails installed. Looked like it works awesome. Not sure about the paperwork on it as I was told it had been installed in the late 70's time frame.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your 12 is uncovered there will be a number of steps, like installing the mounting bracket/doublers required, to properly fit Cessna Seat rails. Welding is required the way I did it.

You must have the Cessna Seat and rails in hand before you start because 140 through 206 seats have all different dimensions, structural design, and ride height. Also, you need to be careful about the added weight. Cessna Seats can be pretty hefty.

Finally, you will need a plan on how you are going to remove them. In a Cessna the seats slide forward off the rails completely. That might not be possible with the Control Stick stub being in the way and the instrument panel might require removal of the seat back first. After that you have to remember that you’ll have at least 6 more bolts to remove to get the floorboards up.

Borrow a friend’s seat and dry fit it to yours and plan around the obstacles. You can make a Cessna seat a lot more comfortable than a 12’s original or a modified 18 seat. IMHO
    Thanks boarfish thanked for this post
    Likes TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I flew a PA-12 which I put on floats that had a Comanche seat installed. I have no idea of the approval basis except the owner was a retired Piper test pilot. If you are interested get the records CD from the FAA for N4384M serial #12-3320.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Here’s a pic of a modification I had on my last -12. Joggles the seat back about 2-3 inches. Worked great and was very comfortable for a 6’2’ 240# guy. Some welding involved but cheeped than a sliding PA-18 seat. If you want a PA-18 slider, there is an STC for that.

-12 Seat
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AC9735D7-99FA-4057-A82A-0A665809C94D.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	56517
    PA-12 N418BS