• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Johnson creek Strobe search

MT12

FRIEND
Montana
While at Johnson Creek last weekend I visited with a gentleman from NW Washington with a 1950 pa-18 that had a great set of nav lite/strobe combo. He couldn't remember the brand and I didn't get his name but he said he got them from someone who advertised them on SC.org (?). They are a direct replacement for original, no control box and very small wire. He said they were around $500 each
My site search results have been fruitless.

Can anyone direct me to him, or the nav lite/ strobe source.

Thanks Doug

Hey Dan, thanks a million for the response. I thought that was the one but wasn't exactly sure, they sure do light up. Great to meet you and to visit with you at JC. While all the mod'ed up cubs are nice, your original 1950 pa-18 was my favorite of the 'show'. thanks again.

Doug
20210619_192223.jpg

Attachments

• 20210619_192223.jpg
    20210619_192223.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 179
And to set the record straight I got mine from Chief as it was Jerry who introduced them to me. My memory was that there is a fellow who sells them here.

There is a thread in the CubList Parts and pieces section on the Orion series lights

Well it worked out. Thanks Dan for the tip and Gallagher Aviation for the quick turn around. All ready to go.
20210707_145247.jpg20210707_145222.jpg

Attachments

• 20210707_145247.jpg
    20210707_145247.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 172
  • 20210707_145222.jpg
    20210707_145222.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 171
Well it worked out. Thanks Dan for the tip and Gallagher Aviation for the quick turn around. All ready to go.
View attachment 56624View attachment 56625
What happened to the green navigation light?

CIVIL AIR REGULATIONS— PART 3
§ 3.701 Forward position light installation. Forward position lights shall be so installed that, with the airplane in normal flying position, the red light is displayed on the left side and the green light on the right side, each showing unbroken light between two vertical planes the dihedral angle of which is 100 degrees when measured to the left and right, respectively, of the airplane from dead ahead. The lights shall be spaced laterally as far apart as practicable.

yes, that's a green light in the left picture and yes that's the right side of the plane, whew you scared me for a second there.

Thus as I learned it Red on Right Returning.....

I was referring to the second picture. Is it either the strobe or the green? Can you see the green/red when the strobe is on? The colors are to inform other airplanes in which direction you are traveling for collision avoidance issues. If the strobes block out the colors ........ who will know? Having flown a lot during night time, this is more important than one may think.

If your plane doesn't fly at night ......... kindly disregard my comments.

Well I certainly hope so, its the Orion 660, I'll have to double check,itsTSO'd so I assume it meets the standards.....hide and watch

Last edited:
Yep, you can see the color when strobe is on. But not when its flashing, I'm good with it.

Doug, It looks like you have the same mount/fairing on your wing tip that 69B has. Did you have to do any modification to work this install, or did it just swap right in? Currently I still have the big original glass lenses out there. I was hoping to do the bulb replacement and keep the cool looking lens/housing, but Welen says the chroma bulb won't work with what I have. Looks like I'll be going with something like this.

I was able to keep the original fairing but the light piece is replaced but it still looks like it belongs there. Very easy install I may have had to drill out a rivet or 2 to get a perfect fit but really easy. I started the whole replacement due to a dead short that I could never find, so I did run new wires to each wing tip, that was the slow part. Oh yea, i love them.

Back