• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa-12 flying characteristics vs Citabria

sbmackie

I've owned a Citabria 7eca on wheels, and taught in a Citabria on wheels and floats. Currently considering both as Fun Flyer and tool to do some teaching in.

Haven't flown a PA-12 and don't know of any near me.

Anybody give me any insight? I have flown a Cub from the front and back (on floats) and front (on wheels) if that helps with the comparison. I'm smallish framed.

Thanks
Scott
PS if anyone in the North GA area has a PA-12, and would be willing to let me hitch a ride for at trip around the pattern on my dime, please chime in

For instructing I would go like this: J3. Super Cub (18-95). Champ. Citabria. PA-20, maybe. PA-12.

The 12 flies a lot better than the Champ products (I own a Decathlon) but it is not a Super Cub, and you will feel like you are lost in a hole somewhere when in the back seat.

Opinion (of course)

For instructing I would go like this: J3. Super Cub (18-95). Champ. Citabria. PA-20, maybe. PA-12.

The 12 flies a lot better than the Champ products (I own a Decathlon) but it is not a Super Cub, and you will feel like you are lost in a hole somewhere when in the back seat.

Opinion (of course)

Interesting. Do you not instruct from the front in a J-3? Why would you put a PA-20 in front of a -12? I've owned a PA-20, and while certainly do-able, my perception is it requires much more minding then the tandem airplanes.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I instruct from either seat in the J3. My experience is that a competent J3 pilot can fly almost any taildragger. Super Cub pilots need a pattern session in the J3, but not the other way around. Citabria pilots need Cub checkouts either way.

The only reason I would rank the PA-20 over the 12, other than being able to see out, is that I was so impressed with Don Lee's airplane. Gave me a new respect for the Clipper/Pacer genre.

The 7ECA vs PA-12....owned both and with the same engine would prefer the former for instruction. They are durable exclusive of the tail spring, yet with spring main gear require a bit more finesse on landing than a Cub. But really if it's for your pleasure as well then go fly a -12 first. If you fit and it fits you then decide. Cubs come in all flavors from factory stock to Bush STOL modified. The Champs not so much.

Gary

Edit: After some thought I'd own another stock 7ECA before a stock PA-12 for tooling around. Just me not the plane's fault. If I wanted to fly off airport lots with plans for floats then the PA-12 can be modified to suit the mission more so than the 7ECA. Also check useful load if you plan to get heavy at some point.

Last edited:
Citabrias are profitable for tailwheel endorsements. With their spring steel gear, failing to properly guess the landing height will wake you up quick and I often got all 3 required landings or more with each pass of the runway. Ha ha.

Spring gear was helpful teaching me to grease the landings on wheels and that better prepared me for the transition to floats. My opinion, of course.

FWIW... I normally fly a -12 and I like the room in it compared to an -18. I've had to, on the odd occasion get BFR or other instruction in an -18 and in a variety of Citabrias. I think maybe 5 different -18's over 30 years and 2-3 different Citabrias over that same span. If one were to be instructing a bigg-ish student (i.e. moi), I believe instruction in either the -12 or a Citabria would be preferable to instructing in an -18 and probably no difference between the -12 and Citabria for seeing past the bigg-ish student. Every so often, getting some time in a Citabria reveals the sloppy habits I've picked up flying a fairly forgiving -12 and the Citabria probably makes better pilots or TW pilots out of students given the spring gear and some of the other characteristics.

Aside from instruction, for off-airport aggressive stuff, the -12 is probably a bit better. For general tooling around, including gravel strips, some variant of the Citabria is probably better. ...but there's so much personal preference involved that it's hard for an outside observer to make the call.

Back