Thread: Interesting Meeting Today

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting Meeting Today

So, we were having a moving sale at our house today and a young couple showed up. There was some airplane stuff in my garage (imagine that). The young man asked if I was a pilot and then said his last name was Luscombe and wondered if I had ever heard of the airplane his family was associated with. He wasn’t a pilot but we had a nice chat. Kind of cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fun! I would have been curious how he related to Don (like, was Don his great uncle or grandfather, or cousin?)

Post Thanks / Like
    He moved in two doors down and I have a game camera he showed interest in. I plan on taking it to him next week and spend some more time learning the connection. We were pretty busy when he showed up and I got the eye from my better half when she heard airplane talk. I’ll let you know what I find out..
    Likes aviatoraf, aktango58, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Your post triggered this memory:

In the mid eighties a senior citizen woman (she was probably younger than I am now) showed up at our antique airplane club meeting on Long Island with her C170B. She had flown over for the day from Connecticut. She introduced herself as Nancy Hopkins Tier. I have read every book published about early aviation and the name rang a bell. I came home and started searching (no Google then) and found her info in one of my books. Turns out she flew a Viking Kitty Hawk biplane in the 1930 Ford Reliability Tour. The only woman in the group.

She went on to fly CAP patrols in Cubs during WWII. Now that there is Google, one can read all about it. As I reflect on my 53 years around airplanes and airplane people, I’ve been fortunate to meet some important pioneers, or at least family members.

Rich
    Last edited by Richgj3; 06-19-2021 at 07:42 PM.
    Likes mam90, cubscout, skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post
    He moved in two doors down and I have a game camera he showed interest in. I plan on taking it to him next week and spend some more time learning the connection. We were pretty busy when he showed up and I got the eye from my better half when she heard airplane talk. I’ll let you know what I find out..
    I know the “eye from the wife when airplane talk happens” oh too well. Happened just last night.
    Likes mam90, Utah-Jay, mixer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you know it’s also medically indistinguishable from the ‘eye from the wife when gun talk happens’ ??
    Just saying.
    Cool stories!
    Likes mam90, Utah-Jay, aviatoraf liked this post

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aviation history and it's pioneers have always been an interesting subject for me also. My very first training flights took place on a grass strip near Navarre FL. My first flight was with an older guy by the name of J.O. Dockery. A very early flying pioneer. He's listed in the Arkansas Aviation hall of Fame I believe. One of the first dozen people to get a pilot's license signed by the Wright brothers. I recall him also talking to me about his early crop dusting days. Sure wish I could remember all of it.
    Don't take life too seriously ... no one gets out alive!
    Likes Richgj3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richgj3 View Post
    Your post triggered this memory:

In the mid eighties a senior citizen woman (she was probably younger than I am now) showed up at our antique airplane club meeting on Long Island with her C170B. She had flown over for the day from Connecticut. She introduced herself as Nancy Hopkins Tier.

Rich
    Nancy was a good friend of mine. She kept her plane at Canaan Ct where I built and started the restoration business there.
    It was an A model she flew, she did not like the dihedral of the later craft.
    I could listen to her all day when given the chance.
    She spoke of her job as a engineer/pilot flying for Kinner. Landing in a field needing to change a failing cylinder, then asking a "blacki" for help pulling the plane back to a fenceline so she would have the room to get back in the air, great pioneering lady.
    She is the real deal.
    She was a wonderful friend and still today one of my favorite "pioneers" I have had the pleasure to be with.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process
    Thanks Richgj3 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In 1992 I was running the logging camp at Icy Bay AK. Our fuel was delivered by Everts and they would be 2-3 days ferrying fuel out of Yakutat to fill our 80,000 gallon storage. On one occasion they showed up with a 3 man crew. The co-pilot was Don Holshizer who was just filling in for the regular who was sick. He'd left my home town, Yacolt WA, in 1946 to take up a flying career in Alaska. The jump seater was a newly retired ATP at age 60. Merrill Wein was along to get current in the C46 and continue flying. Spent 2 very interesting evenings talking flying with them at dinner in the cookhouse.
    Likes mam90, Pete Schoeninger, Richgj3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love these stories, and appreciate them more the older I get. I knew Tom Wardleigh fairly well, he even worked for me part time for a while. This was in the late 70’s and early 80’s and to me he was just another old timer. Fast forward to about 10 years ago when I picked up a copy of Success On The Step, Flying With Kenmore Air. About a chapter in is the story of them hiring their first mechanic in 1946, a tall lanky kid named Tom Wardleigh.... There was even a picture of him standing on a float working on an airplane. The book explains how he ended up in Alaska, and I was so disappointed I wasn’t interested enough to ask him about his story. Of course I was just busy making my own. Also knew and worked with Fred Chambers if any of you are familiar with Nome aviation history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Mike View Post
    In 1992 I was running the logging camp at Icy Bay AK. Our fuel was delivered by Everts and they would be 2-3 days ferrying fuel out of Yakutat to fill our 80,000 gallon storage. On one occasion they showed up with a 3 man crew. The co-pilot was Don Holshizer who was just filling in for the regular who was sick. He'd left my home town, Yacolt WA, in 1946 to take up a flying career in Alaska. The jump seater was a newly retired ATP at age 60. Merrill Wein was along to get current in the C46 and continue flying. Spent 2 very interesting evenings talking flying with them at dinner in the cookhouse.
    I remember that logging camp! I flew in there occasionally when I was flying 185’s for Gulf Air out of Yakutat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gulf Air was a class operation. Delivered our groceries and mail three times a week. Very dependable. I learned a tremendous amount from owner Mike Ivers about flying the gulf coast, beach landings etc. His death in July of that year was a tragic loss.
    Thanks mam90, mixer thanked for this post