Thread: Worst airport in America!

Post Thanks / Like

Worst airport in America!

So I am based out of Ogden, which used to be a nice 3 runway airport 20 years ago. Well the city has has decided to exercise their right to refuse to renew leases at the airport. Your choice is to remove your hangar or give it to the city. They have seized 17 hangars and tore down 5 structures. Well in the process of tearing down the 3 they did this week, they damaged my hangar. I know that airport manager doesn’t think much of my little T-hangar but it’s a nice place to store my airplane. Well the last time they tore down a structure, they damaged someone else’s roof and the airport manager told the owner it was their problem because the city could not be held liable per the newly written leases. If passing through Utah, avoid Ogden, you may not be able to get through the international airport level security and get back to your airplane. Brigham city or bountiful sky park are much better options.
    I am seriously upset that there are now holes in the walls of my hangar!!!!! Not sure how I can approach this when the manager can terminate my lease for no cause and lock me out so I could of even remove my hangar…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B9AC23CF-2950-4263-B732-86E8A5061CFD.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	56251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1D05E00B-049F-41AD-81EA-10BF87E97319.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	56252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41001B69-0C66-413B-A8B5-48026E2F3F61.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	56253   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B74C9F1-EB77-4C98-A455-74B404DCD95F.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	56254  

Post Thanks / Like
    Call ORAA - you did join ORAA, didn’t you?
    Or call AOPA. They’re there to help the little guys.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Recreational Aviation Foundation, Utah Liaisons:

Wayne Loeber
    801-541-9473
    wloeber@theraf.org

Wendy Lessig
    435-843-8439
    wlessig@theraf.org

Wendy speaks "Super Cub" quite well. I'd start with the RAF.
    Thanks Eferr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am part of the Hangar owners lawsuit, but the last building they tore down damaged another owners roof and the airport manager told that owner its their problem and if he didnt like it they would gladly terminate his lease...sheer blackmale.
    Likes DJG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like your airport manager is trying to takeover the worst ranking from KHCR’s reputation.

Note: the airport manager at KHCR is great, it is the FBO (OK3) that is the issue here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Utah-Jay View Post
    Sounds like your airport manager is trying to takeover the worst ranking from KHCR’s reputation.

Note: the airport manager at KHCR is great, it is the FBO (OK3) that is the issue here
    Well Nadime(OK3) left Ogden because it was such a hard place to work with... I am probably going to move my stuff somewhere else... Parawon is building 23 Hangars, Bountiful is building 80 at all of the different lots, just too rich for my blood. My work left Ogden because they just didnt want another flight school there i guess, even though we are the largest flight school in Utah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    Well Nadime(OK3) left Ogden because it was such a hard place to work with... I am probably going to move my stuff somewhere else... Parawon is building 23 Hangars, Bountiful is building 80 at all of the different lots, just too rich for my blood. My work left Ogden because they just didnt want another flight school there i guess, even though we are the largest flight school in Utah.
    IF I could bring an airport operation to me, it would be the folks at UT9 (West Desert)! Mark and Alina are amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did they amend the Airport Master Plan and are re-purposing the area if so that is a prescribed process with public comments and hearings required and if they didn't follow the requirements you can file an FAA complaint?

A couple of options

• Get it repaired and file a tort claim with the City
    • FAA Complaint (the more the better)
    • Hire Legal Council
    • Make appointments and talk to City Councilors away from the CM
    • Accept the intimidation
    • Lastly, it may be news media time, which can be very effective

Oh and properly document all communications with the City, if you have a conversation with the CM confirm it back to him via email and tell others to do the same.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 06-18-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post
    Likes KevinJ, DJG, WindOnHisNose, Seaworthy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, there are about 200 litigants now involved in a lawsuit, unfortunately it has and is happening all around the country. I have found that the city council just rubber stamped the city code changes for reversion to occur. This new airport manager was hired to specifically close all of the FBO's, stop any through the fence operations (FBO), confiscate hangars to tear them down, and work on getting grants and bonds to build all new city owned hangars. The new master plan is so crazy expensive that the airport will never be profitable because it will take generations to pay back the debt incurred. The county is still trying to tax hangars at full value but every hangar is now has no value because they cannot be sold, only the city can take ownership. They also only want to be the only fuel seller, oh and of the hangars they took, they rented out for a while at double the going rate... I just dont see a win and I can hope that I can survive somewhat intact.
    Thanks DJG, Aeronut thanked for this post
    Likes DJG liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
    I am part of the Hangar owners lawsuit, but the last building they tore down damaged another owners roof and the airport manager told that owner its their problem and if he didnt like it they would gladly terminate his lease...sheer blackmale.
    Geeeze.........It ud b a shame should he turn on the lights in his car to go home and they wouldn't work due to being broken!
    N1PA
    Likes TurboBeaver, KevinJ, wireweinie, JeffP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Geeeze.........It ud b a shame should he turn on the lights in his car to go home and they wouldn't work due to being broken!
    Too many cameras...and he now open carries...
    Likes courierguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Did they amend the Airport Master Plan and are re-purposing the area if so that is a prescribed process with public comments and hearings required and if they didn't follow the requirements you can file an FAA complaint?

A couple of options

• Get it repaired and file a tort claim with the City
    • FAA Complaint (the more the better)
    • Hire Legal Council
    • Make appointments and talk to City Councilors away from the CM
    • Accept the intimidation
    • Lastly, it may be news media time, which can be very effective

Oh and properly document all communications with the City, if you have a conversation with the CM confirm it back to him via email and tell others to do the same.
    What he said..........
    "Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar"

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the airport have outstanding Grant Assurances? Contact the FAA Airport people and find out what their grant assurances say- you will probably find that they are in violation of their agreement with the FAA, which will require them to pay back the Grants.

That would be my very first thing if you have tried going to the City council. Amazing what happens when the FAA tells airports "you can NOT do that", and the FAA hold the purse strings.

Oh, and future grants are often difficult to get if you are pushing aviation out of your airport.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    astjp2 I fill your pain, started planning for retirement in 1994 and enjoying flying until the end at Ogden airport great people and airport bought a hanger and plane. In 2015 the airport came out with new rules you must provide a ASCE41-13 Teir 1 Seismic Evaluation to get a 15 year lease this was item #4 on my 5/26/15 (the) first hangar inspection of the airport, someone reported to the airport manager I was going to pass the Teir 1, and you'll never guess the rules have changed and my hangar inspection disappeared out of there office along with my engineering which I resent to the NEW airport manager, I keep good records. After the new airport manager manager received my 5/26/16 inspection and P.E stamped Teir 1 (QUOTE) on Nov 6 2020
    (Once we receive your Teir 1 receipt from your engineering company per Mr G------ we will refund your expense, due to the fact you didn't receive a 15 year lease and should not of been made to complete a Teir 1.) I sent them the invoice and you'll never guess, on Jan 15 2021 received an email with a big excuse and pretty pictures of new hangars and (QUOTE) due to the reasons above, I can no longer pursue providing you a refund for the cost of your Teir One inspection. I am sorry. Oh by the way this after he let me sell my hangar and plane.
    Good luck Ogden.
    FLYNLW
    Likes jrussl, cubnut liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "Does the airport have outstanding Grant Assurances? Contact the FAA Airport people and find out what their grant assurances say- you will probably find that they are in violation of their agreement with the FAA, which will require them to pay back the Grants.

That would be my very first thing if you have tried going to the City council. Amazing what happens when the FAA tells airports "you can NOT do that", and the FAA hold the purse strings.

Oh, and future grants are often difficult to get if you are pushing aviation out of your airport."

This ^^^^^
    Back In Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a lawyer but it sure sounds like there's a ton of legitimate lawsuits here. I'm glad to hear a lot of people are fighting it. Hopefully their lawsuits are setup to succeed on solid legal arguments which shouldn't be too difficult to find given the actions of the town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pa12drvr View Post
    "Does the airport have outstanding Grant Assurances? Contact the FAA Airport people and find out what their grant assurances say- you will probably find that they are in violation of their agreement with the FAA, which will require them to pay back the Grants.

Oh, and future grants are often difficult to get if you are pushing aviation out of your airport."

This ^^^^^
    The FAA has never made any airport payback a grant that we have found, its only a threat that they never follow through on. The airport manager is known for basically saying that if you don't like it, we can terminate your lease effective immediately...
    Likes Busdriver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I'm sure everything will work out just fine now that the Feds and local politicians are involved.

Having the city be the only fuel supplier doesn't sound like capitalism to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    No one is going to win in this, the airport will be angry with the hangar owners because of compromise and the hangar owners will be angry with the city over any compromises...

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly I agree with you. Most likely not a 'win win'.

Post Thanks / Like
    If Ogden takes a dime in federal money--they must conform to ALL federal laws. There must be female pilots/ plane owners adversely affected. File discrimination lawsuits seeking cease and desist and seek damages. It is obvious that they are attempting to destroy the airport--for whatever reason.
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems Utah has two in the top 5 worst airport operations, as stated above KHCR I believe has the one of the worst FBO’s in the country. Our airport manager is a good guy… I am pretty sure he would like to get rid of the FBO operator or at least bring in another FBO…. But OK3 the FBO sued the city when they tried that…. Welcome to $6.15 AvGas