Thread: Dakota cub wings vs Univair

Post Thanks / Like

Dakota cub wings vs Univair

Pros cons
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027D6A31-3830-4557-B46A-3D23DE472E8F.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	56192  

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used both and they both have their advantages. Univair ribs are stamped and a bit heavier but a good product. Dakota Cub ribs are lighter because they are built up ribs similar to Piper. If you order the wing parts from Univair, you will have them in about ten days as most are in stock. If you order Dakota Cub wings, there is a lead time because the ribs will have to built up and your order will be placed in the order it comes in. They both are good products. The folks at Dakota are great to work with and have great costumer service, it just takes a little more time. The last wings I built up I used Dakota ribs and a Univair butt rib. As far a the spars go, about the same, not much different. When I build up wings, I strip the fabric off both, but only take one apart at a time and use the other wing as the blueprint. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do not care for pop rivets. I think you have to use them on the Univair ribs because of the sharp edge of the stamping.
    I was just stitching yesterday using that young lady's island/palm tree method. Goes really, really fast.

If you do go Univair, get that Milwaukee battery powered puller. Did a quick repair on a Citabria last month - pulled 25 rivets in what seemed like a minute flat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    I do not care for pop rivets. I think you have to use them on the Univair ribs because of the sharp edge of the stamping.
    I was just stitching yesterday using that young lady's island/palm tree method. Goes really, really fast.

If you do go Univair, get that Milwaukee battery powered puller. Did a quick repair on a Citabria last month - pulled 25 rivets in what seemed like a minute flat!
    Riveting Univair ribs is approved, but is not required. I have rib stitched all the Univair ribs that I have installed. The sharp edges can be covered with some anti-abrasion tape, just takes a second. I agree, I would rather stitch than rivet.
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bob

LOL They aren't just "pop" rivets!.............. they are usually Avex or Hansens. Big difference. Depends on the application, they have about 1/2 the shear strength of the same size AD. It took me a while to warm up to them too
    ......... It doesn't cost any more to go first class! You just can't stay as long.
    Likes Colorado-Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Additionally, I believe you can order fully assembled wings from Dakota, not sure about Univair.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    I buy them from Spruce. Since they are approved for ACA aircraft, I assumed they would be ok on a Univair rib. I was shocked the first time I saw rivets on a Cub wing. Paperwork said ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Additionally, I believe you can order fully assembled wings from Dakota, not sure about Univair.
    Website says you can get them assembled

https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...ing-uncovered/

Or a kit

https://www.univair.com/piper/piper-...wing-kit-left/

I wouldn’t imagine either of the companies have them in stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks OLDCROWE thanked for this post
    Likes silflexer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dakota Cub:
    Truss type ribs similar to Piper yet heavier and stronger than originals, lighter than Univairs.
    .025" thick 5052 leading edge skins.
    CAD plated steel fittings and hardware.

Univair:
    Stamped ribs, more work to rib stitch because you have to tape the edges. Heavier.
    .020" 2024-T3 leading edge skins.
    Steel parts are primed.

I have a set of Dakota wings for a current project. Requested landing lights in each wing and subsequent wires along with wires for LED nav/strobes and they accommodated. We had a misunderstanding on the gross weight kit I installed that along with Atlee Dodge tie down fittings. I like the Dakota wings and the way the do their leading edge skins full wrap for the landing lights.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Southern Aero, jrussl, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...air+rib+weight
    here’s a link to the weight difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. I had weighed a few individual ribs and came up with Univair being a bit heavier. Must be some give and take between individual ribs. Thanks for posting that, somehow I missed it the first time.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers