• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

A bunch of PA-11 Questions

I have had that conversation before. The 160 is a lot better than the 150, but it is displacement per mile that sucks the fuel.

One of my 1965 Mustang convertibles had a 200 ci "six" and got 24 mpg. I converted it to a 289 - now it gets 14 mpg. Same driver, exactly the same mission and driving technique.

My buddy and I flew practically in formation - he had a 150 Super Cub and I was in my 85 hp J3. We were going to Lock Haven. At each fuel stop he took on twice the fuel I did.

My 180hp PA-12 burns the exact same amount as btracy’s 160hp PA-18, flying on our many trips together, zig-zagging around the country at the same speed. We both used the little black knob & the little red knob to try & beat each other’s fuel burn, but we were always within 1/2 gallon or less either way.

The PA-11 the OP was looking at has a field approval for 1350 gross weight, but a DPE might question whether it applies to the standard category - it was part of a Sorenson sprayer approval.
Exactly. Restricted category only ..... very likely true.

I currently have a customer's J-3 that has been modified with an O-200 and electrical system. It also has PA-18 tail and wings with flaps. It's a nice little airplane but heavy, 910 lbs. A modified J-3/PA-11 is nice if you are looking for a light sport airplane but otherwise a PA-18-95 makes much more sense.

The 160 is less gas hungry than a 180, but the PA-12 is less draggy than the PA-18. I wish I had a 160 in my Super Decathlon - it would drop to 7 1/2 gph. Maybe a bit more - the mixture moves to rich all by itself when inverted.

All great advise, but “boogeyperson”?? :roll:

I have to be very careful. My charming daughter went to a very expensive liberal arts college on the Eastern Seaboard. They taught her some very interesting things there. I am simply trying to put off being rounded up and sent to AOC's reeducation camp a little longer.

As far as weight goes, I'd say under 825# is a light one, most being in the 850# range.

Our PA-11 [c/n 11-906], A-65-8, Sensen 72/42, no electrics, on little wheels, 761 pounds (actual weighed) empty weight at last recover. Flies like a dream with 422 or so pounds on board.

We have an unmodified PA-11 with no electrical system and a C90-8F engine installed. The engine is about five pounds heavier than the dry weight specified in the Type Certificate Data Sheet due to an STC that uses an O-200 crankshaft and connecting rods. The aircraft empty weight is 775 pounds. That leaves a useful load of 445 pounds. If I had to equip the airplane for ADS-B out, I would only install a light weight battery without a charging system to power it. That would avoid the weight and expense of installing an electrical starter and generator. [Which would require installing a new C90-12 engine.]

Last edited:
JP I can relate. My charming daughter went to Smith. I had to instruct her to change her facebook photo as I did not think it would fly. It was a picture of her shooting an AK-47. She would have been tarred and feathered or cancelled as they say now.

If I had to equip the airplane for ADS-B out, I would only install a light weight battery without a charging system to power it. That would avoid the weight and expense of installing an electrical starter and generator. [Which would require installing a new C90-12 engine.]

Do you have a transponder now? If so, how is it powered? If not, why would you ever have to fit ADS-B out?

No transponder installed. I use a Yaesu portable comm with an a remote AAE dipole antenna connected to a portable P S Engineering intercom for the headset jacks. The Yaesu uses a rechargeable battery and the intercom uses a 9V battery. I considered relocation for a job several years ago that would have required basing in or near the Washington S.F.R.A. That would have required equipping the airplane a transponder, encoder, and now ADS-B out. If I had done that, I would have installed a panel mount comm radio as well. Happily, I didn't have to move to that area and don't currently fly the airplane in airspace that requires ADS-B.

Back