Thread: Deregistered

Post Thanks / Like

Deregistered

Maybe somebody know. I have the opportunity to purchased a wrecked Tri-Pacer that the previous owner told the FAA it was no longer airworthy. Itís not damaged that bad, Iíve repaired far worse. Though it would be a nice project for me and my grandkids to tackle. It has complete airframe logs, data plate and airworthiness certificate. I looked the N-number up and itís good until 2023. Question is, is there away to get the Airworthy again with the FAA?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willirw View Post
    Maybe somebody know. I have the opportunity to purchased a wrecked Tri-Pacer that the previous owner told the FAA it was no longer airworthy. It’s not damaged that bad, I’ve repaired far worse. Though it would be a nice project for me and my grandkids to tackle. It has complete airframe logs, data plate and airworthiness certificate. I looked the N-number up and it’s good until 2023. Question is, is there away to get the Airworthy again with the FAA?

Thanks
    Any airplane out of annual is not airworthy. Depends if they told the FAA that it was destroyed or not. If there is a question, might be worth talking with a DAR before you spend $$ on it.

Tim
    Likes Richgj3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I would do is actually pull the FAA records. If it is still registered, you should be golden. If the registration was canceled, be prepared for at least a 2 year battle with FAA and take the risk of not being able to register it when the repairs are done.

Been there, done that with my PA-16. I finally got a letter from the Executive Director of Flight Standards that says when I present photographic evidence of the restored aircraft, they will issue a registration. That took about 2 1/2 years of battling with FAA along with a Congressional inquiry.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks flyboyrv3 thanked for this post
    Likes Hardtailjohn, DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    experimental?

If you are inside it with repairs, go to the dark side.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes DENNY, Utah-Jay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure you can go Experimental, but likely not Amateur Built. You might get Exhibition, but recognize the limitations of that certificate. 91.319 says you can only operate for the purpose for which the certificate was issued. An Exhibition certificate is only for exhibiting the aircraft or proficiency flying, not you Saturday afternoon $100 hamburger.

Thanks flyboyrv3 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Sure you can go Experimental, but likely not Amateur Built. You might get Exhibition, but recognize the limitations of that certificate. 91.319 says you can only operate for the purpose for which the certificate was issued. An Exhibition certificate is only for exhibiting the aircraft or proficiency flying, not you Saturday afternoon $100 hamburger.

You can go get that hamburger while maintaining your proficiency, or any other flying you want to do. After all, any hours spent flying is to maintain proficiency right?

Post Thanks / Like
    I blindly bought a PA11 project, but I found out from the FAA when I tried to register it that it was reported as destroyed from a previous owner. I was told by the FAA at the time that it could be registered if I could show it was rebuild-able, a picture of the data plate, airworthiness certificate, picture of the completed plane, plus a statement from an IA that it was rebuild-able and now complete. I have to admit I was nervous during the rebuild that all would be well at the end. I sent all my pictures and documentation to a title company in Oklahoma City that checked my information for accuracy and completeness (best $50 I ever spent) and they hand carried it to the FAA. I had my registration two weeks later. I know that is not everyone's experience, maybe dumb luck. I followed Dave's, aka dgapilot, trials on his PA16 project and wondered why our experiences were so different and could feel his frustration. Your project paperwork sounds workable, but you may have to own it to get the process started with the FAA, that of course might be problematic.
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been thru this a couple times.............. If the previous owner sent in the registration as "totaled" or equivalent its fairly easy to get it registered again. I had to do the affidavit by AP, which was myself, to verify aircraft was rebuildable. You say you have the airworthiness cert? You're golden. If they had surrendered the airworthiness cert............ it's dead even if you have the log books. Logs good for engine tho. A "lost" airworthiness is one thing , surrendered (turned in) is another...... it's over for that aircraft. I don't think you have a big problem at all.
    ......... It doesn't cost any more to go first class! You just can't stay as long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Aero View Post
    I have been thru this a couple times.............. If the previous owner sent in the registration as "totaled" or equivalent its fairly easy to get it registered again. I had to do the affidavit by AP, which was myself, to verify aircraft was rebuildable. You say you have the airworthiness cert? You're golden. If they had surrendered the airworthiness cert............ it's dead even if you have the log books. Logs good for engine tho. A "lost" airworthiness is one thing , surrendered (turned in) is another...... it's over for that aircraft. I don't think you have a big problem at all.
    Times have changed in the last couple years. Read FAA Order 8100.19. https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgOrders.nsf/0/3d454c9b728ef6b88625832800650ff6/$FILE/8100.19.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    If the project means enuff to you to put a little effort into it then I'd say go for it. The last one I did I had to send in photos of the project and damage/repair. I have others locally that had a fed physically "inspect" the airplane before giving registration........... but they had been in communication with them the whole time. If you can find a local fed that understands tube and rag aircraft, that would help a lot. That document that dga posted does give you and avenue of escape........ depends on the fed you get. I would fill out a registration form and bill of sale, send them in and see what shakes.

These airplanes came from a time that will never be again. They can be kept alive with raw materials. I think it is worth the effort to keep them on the registry. FWIW
    ......... It doesn't cost any more to go first class! You just can't stay as long.