• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

J3 rear seat sling

Jay Jacobi

I am restoring a 1946 J3 and am trying to figure out the upper attachment for the sling.
Does anyone have any information or pics of how the sling attaches to the curved upper tube?

It loops over it. The sling has a little pocket for a piece of metal. You use three 10-32 screws through the front and then through the metal in the pocket to hold it.

If you are having one sewn up, consider having it sewn so you can lace from the top. And use heavy cotton "duck" - we have found out that modern synthetics do not have any shear strength. Ditto the shock cord boots - just noticed the ones we installed six months ago are shredded. Upholsterer used some exotic leather-looking stuff.

Hi Bob!
Thanks for the reply.
So you are saying that the sling loops over the tube and you put a piece of metal in the pocket, but do the 10-32 screws just pierce the cotton duck or do they get washers or another piece of metal on the outside to keep from pulling through?

And another question, do the rear seatbelts attach to that rear tube that goes through the bottom of the sling.
This one was missing the rear seat hardware and I have two triangle seatbelt “brackets “ but it is an interesting setup and not what I would expect
Jay

Yes. Small fender washers in front.

the factory arrangement has two loops of coathangers on each side. One loop holds the tube to the airframe, and the other loop holds the seat belt. Kinda hokey.

i brazed nuts inside my tube and ran AN-4 screws through the seatbelt attach hardware. Minor mod, as far as I was concerned. Others do lots of weird stuff - most often conrol cable loops.

Thanks for verifying that! The loops are there but it seemed pretty crude for attaching the seat belts, even for 1946!
I may try to weld up a new rear tube with some nuts in the end like yours. That seems more secure.
Jay

Back