• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Horizontal has loose wire?

adamgrenda

King Salmon, AK
Fixing one thing and found more broken parts. The horizontal has a internal brace wire that is loose. It’s still connected on both ends but definitely rattling around. Trying to post video

Not aware of any brace wires (welding rod like the elevators?) in the horizontal stab. Stock cub parts? Just send it- you can fix it when you recover it after you wreck it...

Not aware of any brace wires (welding rod like the elevators?) in the horizontal stab. Stock cub parts? Just send it- you can fix it when you recover it after you wreck it...

not sure where the parts came from it’s a experimental cub but lots of stock parts. It’s small like a welding rod and it’s in the same location as the brace that airframes horizontal has

Do you mean the elevator or the horizontal stabilizer?

I haven't seen a wire on the stabilizer, but the elevators have them. Here is an Airframes Alaska one:

AF12770-2 elevator.jpg

Attachments

• AF12770-2 elevator.jpg
    AF12770-2 elevator.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 93
I'll post the horizontal stabilizer for reference, too. It has several braces and gussets.

AF12769-2T horiz stab.jpg
So are you saying the diagonal braces are welding rod on yours?

Attachments

• AF12769-2T horiz stab.jpg
    AF12769-2T horiz stab.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 416
Some of that bracing is likely there to prevent fabric from bending the underlying tubing/channel during heat shrinking. Forms rigid triangles that offer support (guess)

Gary

I'll post the horizontal stabilizer for reference, too. It has several braces and gussets.

View attachment 56121
So are you saying the diagonal braces are welding rod on yours?

yea. It’s the bay that only has one reinforcement there. I got a bore scope to stick in there and see exactly what it is and where it’s loose. Flying for work has me pretty busy at the moment.

That outer diagonal has more compressive load on it than tension, no surprise it would be loose. The inner two also have compressive load since they are there to support the fabric tension.

Back