• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How I almost Wrecked My Super Cub Today

I guess that's why the Aviat Husky fuel valve is "Off" or "On" (on turns on both wing tanks which are designed to crossfeed - which can be a bit annoying on a long cross country when one tank tends to be used more, thus creating a weight unbalance situation).

Interesting thread. Glad your ok Steve. Checked the one in the shop with a newer valve that’s less than a year old. No Loctite.

A3369D42-3C4A-41D2-825F-876D3BEDAA1B.jpg

Attachments

• A3369D42-3C4A-41D2-825F-876D3BEDAA1B.jpg
    A3369D42-3C4A-41D2-825F-876D3BEDAA1B.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 226
I talked to Mark and Brian at Dakota Cub. They have been tightening them down tight, no Locktite. The Instructions for Continued Airworthiness call for Locktite when doing maintenance on them. They are now using Locktite.

I finally got my valve. It doesn't appear to have any locktite on it so I figured why not safety it before I install it ..................... doesn't interfere with any movement. Screw head was already drilled.

DC Valve.jpg

Attachments

• DC Valve.jpg
    DC Valve.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 250
Our fuel selector had safety wire on it and whoever wired it also drilled a hole through the threaded portion opposite of screw head to secure the other end of wire. While good intentioned, after about 250 hrs that screw started to bend where the hole was drilled. It allowed the selector to go past its intended stops and fuel began seeping from the back side of the selector. Called to get a replacement and was told I could exchange it for free. Took my details and said they would send one out and then I would send mine back. Two weeks past….nothing. Called and offered to pay for one ASAP shipping cause I needed plane for a trip. Week goes by and credit card has not been charged, call maker of selector and at least he said it got lost in the shuffle and was straight up about it. Cancelled my order and bought a new one from a distributor in Wasilla that had one in stock. Still missed my trip. Even good companies have off days sometimes.

Back