• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

MTV's practice backcountry initiative

thaefeli

FRIEND
If you haven't seen the AOPA webinar "Enhancing Your Backcountry Experience", please look it up and watch. Some very cool info.
For me, the best part was Mike Vivion and his backcountry practice strip initiative presentation.
What a cool idea! Practice on a virtual 1000 foot runway with plenty margins for safety BEFORE you play in the backcountry.
As a result, the pilots at the Kent Rominger Astronaut Field, KRCV, in Southern Colorado, have decided to mark up our dirt rwy 03/21 as described.
FAA airport directory shows it as "turf, rough". That is the 800' foot to the northeast. The rest is very nice. I land my 206 on it all the time.
The touchdown markers and 100' distance markers will be on the smoothest part of the runway. You will have roughly 1000 feet on either end to play with.
We find ourselves with a very unique training opportunity sitting at 7955 MSL. New to the mountains? Very easily accessible from the South, via Sante Fe NM. You can get here at 9500 MSL from that direction. 11000 over La Veta Pass to the East. Come and see how you and your bird can perform
As I post this, it is 59F and the DA is 9500. most summer days DA around 11,500, mid day. 90F puts it at 12,800 or so. Rare, but it can get there.
Headed to Idaho or Montana? Swing through and sharpen your skills beforehand. We sit in the middle of the best way to thread the Colorado Rockies on your way. KRCV to Gunnison, KGUC, takes you over Cochetopa Pass. Not much need to go over 10,500 that way. Very mellow topography, no major variations in elevation. From there, head west to Montrose and you are through the Rockies.
With our RAF funded Pilot Shelter (camping, shower, full kitchen), Courtesy van and cheap fuel, a great place to come play!!
Thanks again to MTV for taking the time to introduce this backcountry training initiative. I hope other airports across the country will do the same.
Tom

Wish I still lived out there.. Spend 14 years flying the Rockies in Twin Otters and Dash 7s.. AWESOME PLACE!!
Laveta and Mosca Passes, in and out of Alamosa were memorable.. The San Luis Valley and the Great Sand Dunes are places everyone should see!!

I can’t take credit for the idea of “Practice Airstrips”. The folks in Fairbanks originated the current version at least. It’s been applied in a couple places in south central AK as well.

But I do think the concept has promise in the Lower 48. Both locals who may need to polish up skills a bit before launching into the back country, as well as pilots who’ve simply never landed in a real “confined area”.

If anyone is interested in setting up something like this at your home drone, send me a PM, and I’ll get you more specific information.

MTV

I can’t take credit for the idea of “Practice Airstrips”. The folks in Fairbanks originated the current version at least. It’s been applied in a couple places in south central AK as well.

But I do think the concept has promise in the Lower 48. Both locals who may need to polish up skills a bit before launching into the back country, as well as pilots who’ve simply never landed in a real “confined area”.

If anyone is interested in setting up something like this at your home drone, send me a PM, and I’ll get you more specific information.

MTV

After reading Dick William's and Amy Hoover's book, I was thinking of doing something similar: get a solid understanding of landing and take off performance under various conditions, and practice spot landings.

We have some little-used state owned airstrips along the Snake River. They are gravel and reasonably long in the bottom of a canyon. I wanted to mark things out in an inobtrusive and removable fashion. Something better than sticks on the side of the runway.

We are doing the layout and marking today. Since we don't get much rain, we are using athletic field marker chalk.
Taledrgr: I remember the Rocky Mountain Airways days. My first ride in the back of a twin otter Alamos to Stapleton. Thought that was a pretty cool airplane. Later I spent a couple thousand hours in the left seat flying Grand Canyon river runners and tours. It was a VERY cool airplane.

Tom, YaHOOO! And MTV too. Looking to do something similar at Owl Canyon, just to stay tuned up.

Thanks. cubscout

Done! it took all of an hour. Six guys. Three doing layout and three placing the markers and end stripes. Super easy!
I made a 48x24 rectangle stencil out of cardboard. Lay on the ground, fill with marker and move to the next mark. Laid the stencil end to end for the touchdown markers.
2 50# bags of athletic field marker. We will use the stencil to touch up when needed.
Tom

Done! it took all of an hour. Six guys. Three doing layout and three placing the markers and end stripes. Super easy!
I made a 48x24 rectangle stencil out of cardboard. Lay on the ground, fill with marker and move to the next mark. Laid the stencil end to end for the touchdown markers.
2 50# bags of athletic field marker. We will use the stencil to touch up when needed.
Tom

Good job! Can you get some photos?

thanks!

MTV

Hey Tom! We need photos! Trying to do something similar here.

sj

Tom, I think what SJ really wants is for you to send him some of your "not much rain" :p.

A VERY worthy project. Looking forward to the pictures. Big thanks to MTV for bumping a bunch of people into action.

Thanks. cubscout

Great job thaefeli! I'll be over as soon as I finish this dang airplane!

For years I have done this sort of thing during BRFs (oops, I mean flight reviews) using the connecting taxiways. At home (KPSO) the first one is 2500 feet down the runway (touchdown), then the second a further 840 feet (a tidy landing, even in a cub at 7650 msl). That still leaves 4700 feet for overrun. Makes a good target for practice engine-outs too.

John

Back