• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Minimum Idle RPM

DanP

Hudson, MA
I notice my idle RPM is a little high-- slightly over 800-- after replacing the carb. My mechanic is doing some final tweaks and was going to adjust that. I believe somewhere around 650 is about the minimum but wanted to confirm that that is what I should see.

Dan, We use 600-650 on wheels. I used to set mine as low as possible 450 - 500 when on floats to minimize idle thrust. 800 will almost keep a light super cub in the air! :lol:

sj

Yeah-- that is sort of what is happening to me! I settle down into ground effect and float for about 300 feet.

On the ground, I am having to ride the brakes while taxiing.

My stroker in my J4 will idle slow enough that the impulse will clatter. Idle below 500 rpm make a huge difference in landing distance. My yellow cub with the composite prop won't idle as low

Glenn

If it's too low it won't quit on final, it will quit as you touch down. But we all fly a safe height to touch down, right ;- )

Glenn

Well, "as you touch down" is still "short" final I guess......... ;-) Not much of a problem with a SC or even a J3 but a real PIA in the J5A to be stuck in the middle of the runway w/o starter.....with a &^%^# Lear Jet benind you. BT/DT

Well, "as you touch down" is still "short" final I guess......... ;-) Not much of a problem with a SC or even a J3 but a real PIA in the J5A to be stuck in the middle of the runway w/o starter.....with a &^%^# Lear Jet benind you. BT/DT

Mine doesn't quit

Glenn

Mine is set about 500. I sometimes get that mag rattle. What is that, and does it cause any problems?

Jim

I turned mine up to 600-650. It had an unnerving tendency to quit when I closed the throttle on an mild uphill landing if I had the mixture a little lean.

Back