• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Extending Flap Cord

DJ

Bolivia
I don't see PSTOL flaps in my future but I'm curious about the low buck way to extend flap cord for a little more drag. Any special tricks? Bend some .020 2024 aluminum and blind rivet to the trailing edge of the flaps? Has anybody experimented with the benefits. I see Loni H used to have this mod.

I used flap gap seals. Gives about two inches and a cuff. With 70 degrees of flap it works surprisingly well without the extra 12 lbs or eight thousand.

I extended the connecting arm on the flap handle but make shure it's strong there's a lot of pull on that flap cable especially when pulled above 50. You can also do the custom bellcrank but I think that's more work.

Hmmmm. Interesting.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0466-scaled.jpg
    IMG_0466-scaled.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0607-rotated.jpg
    IMG_0607-rotated.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0651-400x284.jpg
    IMG_0651-400x284.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 648
I like that idea. Doug Keller's Husky cub had something like that going on and obviously Doug knows what he is doing. I already try to limit my flap extension to below 65 mph. I'd be willing to back that down some more for a Fowler flap.
What is the best way to attach the extended trailing edges over the stock ones on a covered Cub? I'm picturing cherry max rivets.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

TK1 Racing/Monster Shocks makes a longer bellcrank for the wings for Experimental.

I was looking for a link while Olibuilt was posting. There ya go.

I would use pk screws while you experiment with different chords 2inch 3inch 4inch cuff no cuff and once you come up with what you like cherry rivet. Try it it's fun experimenting with different chords and flap settings. I'm certified so pk screws so I can take them off now and then.

When you say cuff I'm picturing a downward curve at the trailing edge. Sorta gurney flapish?

Did the simple flap lever mechanism mod get you to 70 degrees?

When you say cuff I'm picturing a downward curve at the trailing edge. Sorta gurney flapish?

Did the simple flap lever mechanism mod get you to 70 degrees?

Yes and yes. I use flap gap seals because it's easy ready to go with exact width and already bent with a cuff. But you might want to experiment with straight chords and maybe longer l have seen 4 inches with straight cord.

Yes and yes. I use flap gap seals because it's easy ready to go with exact width and already bent with a cuff. But you might want to experiment with straight chords and maybe longer l have seen 4 inches with straight cord.

I extended my cord of my flaps by 2.5" WITH GOOD RESULTS...also extended inboard...exp PA12ish

Back