• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

My New Plane

Eddie Foy

South Florida
26DCE6D2-0B5C-4895-A7C5-B7838D4C7FDD.jpg

I just got back into RC flying. This sold out in one day when it came out. It is incredibly scale. Haven't flown it yet but have seen them flying.

Attachments

• 26DCE6D2-0B5C-4895-A7C5-B7838D4C7FDD.jpg
    26DCE6D2-0B5C-4895-A7C5-B7838D4C7FDD.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 220
Eddie, don't forget to hide a Hefty garbage bag in the plane somewhere. That way you'll have a bag at the crash site to put the parts in.

Glenn

Eddie, don't forget to hide a Hefty garbage bag in the plane somewhere. That way you'll have a bag at the crash site to put the parts in.

Glenn

It's much easier to just stomp on the box when it shows up at the door, then throw it away in the box it came in.

When I was a kid I spent a good 6 months building what was called a Nobler, a big contol line kit. The maiden flight was to take place at the ball field. While getting ready to start her up some girl comes riding up on her bike and comes to a skidding halt next to the plane and on dismount steps squarely on the plane crushing it. I see Grant if you were my pal at the time you would have protected me from that life trauma.

I was stationed in S Korea back in the late 70's. One of the Cobra pilots in my unit spend almost his entire 13-month deployment building a beautiful RC helicopter – a model of the Bell 222. That thing was absolutely gorgeous - every detail was perfect.

Being a Cobra pilot (think "fighter pilot" equivalent in Air Force terminology), he naturally assumed he would be able to fly it perfectly, right out of the box... On his very first attempt to fly it, he crashed it hard enough that only the engine, battery, and servos were likely salvageable. A year of work down the drain in <60 seconds... So sad to see a grown man cry in public like that...

I was stationed in S Korea back in the late 70's. One of the Cobra pilots in my unit spend almost his entire 13-month deployment building a beautiful RC helicopter – a model of the Bell 222. That thing was absolutely gorgeous - every detail was perfect.

Being a Cobra pilot (think "fighter pilot" equivalent in Air Force terminology), he naturally assumed he would be able to fly it perfectly, right out of the box... On his very first attempt to fly it, he crashed it hard enough that only the engine, battery, and servos were likely salvageable. A year of work down the drain in <60 seconds... So sad to see a grown man cry in public like that...

Yep, as a young cocky helicopter pilot I bought a pre-assembled Cricket RC helo. Guy tried to sell me multiple sets of rotor blades, “Ha!” I said...... “I’m a REAL helicopter pilot.” Long story short, no successful flights, men, women, children and animals were put in peril. My wife sold it at a garage sale to a kid down the street who used to fly it routinely in front of my house (no doubt to taunt me)..

When I was a kid I spent a good 6 months building what was called a Nobler, a big contol line kit. The maiden flight was to take place at the ball field. While getting ready to start her up some girl comes riding up on her bike and comes to a skidding halt next to the plane and on dismount steps squarely on the plane crushing it. I see Grant if you were my pal at the time you would have protected me from that life trauma.

Curious if you
1) yelled at her for ruining it?
or
2) apologized to her for leaving it in her way?

Guess it depends if you were 10 or so (#1)
or a teenager (#2).

That was always the fun part of RC Flying. RC pilots could jump in a real plane and fly it halfway decent but not the other way around

Glenn

Glenn
Was at a RC airshow and after a mid-air the announcer asked if anyone in the crowd had a garbage bag they could donate. Bodybags for RC planes.

That was always the fun part of RC Flying. RC pilots could jump in a real plane and fly it halfway decent but not the other way around

Glenn
Not at all my experience with helicopters... Sure, they could fly once you were moving forward - but that's not "flying" in a helicopter... It's that whole "hovering thing" that makes you a helicopter pilot. You've gotta learn how to find your "hover button", and I don't care who you are or what you flew before. I used to love taking Zoomies (Air Force Fighter Pilots - yes, you MUST capitalize the words "Fighter Pilots" according to them) up for a short flight in my Army helicopter. Won a lot of steak dinners betting them they couldn't keep it inside a 50' by 50' box while hovering...

I think I was about 10 at the time of that mishap. My language skills had not fully developed at the time. Seeing a grown boy cry so hysterically must have left quite an impression on that girl as she went home and confessed her transgression to her parents who then bought me a new kit to build. That one took another 6 months to build and I flew the crap out of that one. Then one day I became a bold pilot and entropy ensued. Still remember those days vividly at 62 years of age.

I flew it today. A great scale flyer. Doesn't like inverted flight but it will snap roll. The thing will actually back up. It is incredibly detailed. The shocks are not dampened. Just a spring but it is powerful. Videos later.

The Spectrum Transmitters have a mode called safe. If you just let go and tell God he has it. it will recover to level flight.

Thank you, God.

A local pilot was flying his 1/4 scale rc jet at the field Monday evening. Amazing to watch, turbine, vectored thrust, blended controls, smoke system. To the untrained eye, from a distance, looks and sounds like the real thing.
I left the airport during the show. Out on the hiway, sheriff, county fire in full response mode coming the other way. Then a text: “plane crash at the airport!”
uh oh!
Total loss, fortunately, no souls on board.

How much money does a 1/4 scale rc jet cost? A small fortune? That has to stink to crash something like that!

Back