• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Interconnecting headphone jacks?

dwm

Does anybody know if there is any way to connect three jacks (for the headphones of three seats) out of a two way intercom?
We are gonna be connecting the VHF Garmin GTR 20 through a Garmin G3X and the intercom is for two headphones, but we gonna have a third seat option. Is it possible to interconnect the second and third jacks? so that the third person can use the intercom as well?

It won't start a fire or destroy the intercom but it's not a good idea. The unit is designed for the impedance of two headsets. If you connect two headsets to an amp designed to power one, it cuts the impedance in half and the amp probably will not have the power to drive both headsets. Usually this shows as low volume on the audio and garbled voice on the mics. And remember that when you try to talk on the channel with two headsets connected, both mics will be hot at the same time, placing more ambient noise on the line.

Which intercom are you using? There are expansion units available for many systems that you could check out.

Web

I used a 4-place intercom for my 3-place PA-12. It works just fine. Web would disapprove of the Sigtronics, but no problems - - -

Wife and I use to fly with three kids in the back of our 182 and a 4 place intercom. On our two girls headsets I used Y connectors for the two sets of jacks and added a small push button on an ear cup in the mic circuit. They just had to push the button when they talked. Worked just fine. No reason you couldn't do the same thing with the 2 place..

Does anybody know if there is any way to connect three jacks (for the headphones of three seats) out of a two way intercom?
We are gonna be connecting the VHF Garmin GTR 20 through a Garmin G3X and the intercom is for two headphones, but we gonna have a third seat option. Is it possible to interconnect the second and third jacks? so that the third person can use the intercom as well?

For temporary or occasional use, why not plug another portable intercom into the second set of jacks? (Of course, not Sigtronics...LOL).

I tried that with a PS Engineering portable in a Cessna 172 and it worked fine except for the hassle of extra cords.

For temporary or occasional use, why not plug another portable intercom into the second set of jacks? (Of course, not Sigtronics...LOL).

I tried that with a PS Engineering portable in a Cessna 172 and it worked fine except for the hassle of extra cords.

Clunky but electrically makes sense.

Web

It won't start a fire or destroy the intercom but it's not a good idea. The unit is designed for the impedance of two headsets. If you connect two headsets to an amp designed to power one, it cuts the impedance in half and the amp probably will not have the power to drive both headsets. Usually this shows as low volume on the audio and garbled voice on the mics. And remember that when you try to talk on the channel with two headsets connected, both mics will be hot at the same time, placing more ambient noise on the line.

Which intercom are you using? There are expansion units available for many systems that you could check out.

Web

Hi Web,
the VHF I am using (Garmin GTR 20) includes a 2-place stereo intercom. It supposed to be an all-in-one radio and audio panel.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Wife and I use to fly with three kids in the back of our 182 and a 4 place intercom. On our two girls headsets I used Y connectors for the two sets of jacks and added a small push button on an ear cup in the mic circuit. They just had to push the button when they talked. Worked just fine. No reason you couldn't do the same thing with the 2 place..

I thought about that but i did not know if it was possible. I asked to a friend who knows a lot about radios and he told me if I interconnect the jacks of the second and third seats I should not have problems with the speakers of the headphones, the problem will be how to use the two mics.

Did you put the PTT in one or in the two headsets connected to the Y? Should I put the PTT on the third headset only? It will be used very occasionally.

That was my second thought, but I did not know if it was possible or bot. The use of the third seat (and headphone) will be occasional so I don’t care about the extra cords.

Something like this?

Image1622380994.557779.jpg

Attachments

• Image1622380994.557779.jpg
    Image1622380994.557779.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 107
Hi Web,
the VHF I am using (Garmin GTR 20) includes a 2-place stereo intercom. It supposed to be an all-in-one radio and audio panel.

I'm NOT a fan of built in intercoms for several reasons. So, in your case I'd think you have two choices. Use the plug in system in the second position, when more headsets are needed, or use a stand alone intercom system.
The plug in system will leave wires hanging during use but will prevent overloading the amp in the GTR 20. Using a stand alone intercom installed in the panel and wired to the GTR 20 gives better all around performance with no extra wires to get tangled in but is more expensive at installation.

Web

Back