• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Adsb and transponder

You must not have read the thread. Or a half dozen before where the same guys say the same things. No matter. I’m done.

I don't think any of us would dispute the benefits of ADS-B. It was implemented as a safety item for traffic separation .....which could have been accomplished without the
owners/pilots information broadcast. Why do you suppose they included that requirement? Certainly not for safety reasons. Why then?

Would you please explain what you mean by "owners/pilots information broadcast", preferably with reference to the pertinent regulation(s).

Complete aircraft information is programed into the unit after installation, including ICAO address and N number. These identify the owner.

Web

Would you please explain what you mean by "owners/pilots information broadcast", preferably with reference to the pertinent regulation(s).

Ask Martha Lunken what she thinks about this.

I don't mind wearing a cow bell,
but see no safety reason why it has to broadcast my ID.

Complete aircraft information is programed into the unit after installation, including ICAO address and N number. These identify the owner. Web

That is very different from "owners/pilots information broadcast".

It's possible to trace to the aircraft owner, even for a UAT in anonymous mode, from the ICAO address but the owner information is not broadcast. Also, no information on the pilot is broadcast although it possible to trace to that if a flight plan was filed.

Please let's keep the information accurate and not give ADS-B Out attributes that it does not actually have.

Possible thread drift: since installation of uAvionix TSO Skybeacon my reports have all been red flagged for Mode 3A "Other checks". All flights were squawking 1200 and no flight plan was filed. See below:

2021-05-29 (2).png

That is the only area flagged. Question is, do I need to fix anything?

Attachments

• 2021-05-29 (1).png
    2021-05-29 (1).png
    139.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 2021-05-29 (2).png
    2021-05-29 (2).png
    139.6 KB · Views: 207

I'd suggest a review of "PAPRUsersGuide.pdf".

The PAPR fault table includes:

Mode 3A (partial failure)
• Portion(s) of flight at fringes of ADS-B coverage
• Improper pilot input (late turn on/early turn off of transponder)

I'd repeat the test in an area of known good coverage.

But yes, way off topic and I hope I don't get dinged for answering.

That is very different from "owners/pilots information broadcast".

It's possible to trace to the aircraft owner, even for a UAT in anonymous mode, from the ICAO address but the owner information is not broadcast. Also, no information on the pilot is broadcast although it possible to trace to that if a flight plan was filed.

Please let's keep the information accurate and not give ADS-B Out attributes that it does not actually have.

The ICAO address and N number can lead to the owners info with a simple online search. How is that not broadcasting owner info?

Web

The ICAO address and N number can lead to the owners info with a simple online search. How is that not broadcasting owner info?

Web

The "B" in ADS-B stands for "Broadcast". An ADS-B Out system will transmit or broadcast multiple parameters. These broadcast parameters do not include owner or pilot information.

The "B" in ADS-B stands for "Broadcast". An ADS-B Out system will transmit or broadcast multiple parameters. These broadcast parameters do not include owner or pilot information.

But it does include the unique ICAO address which is linked directly with the N#, and from there it is a simple search on the FAA web site to get to the owner!

You’re correct, but kind of splitting hairs aren’t you? N number displays on receiver or any 3rd Party app, and put into any search engine yields owner information. Can’t do that with auto license plate..

Screen shot from the Stratus setup instructions for ADS-B out.

Web

Attachments

• Stratus.pdf
    118.9 KB · Views: 207
I have never said that owner information cannot be be found if the registration or ICAO address is known. I have simply said that owner information is not broadcast by ADS-B Out.

The Plane and Pilot Magazine article "Privacy Lost in the Age of ADS-B" may be an interesting read. In my opinion the privacy issue has almost nothing to do with ADS-B Out and has everything to do with the fact that there is unrestricted public access to FAA aircraft and pilot records. People were looking up aircraft owner information long before ADS-B. All it took was a pair of binoculars and/or a handheld radio.

There is no public access to car registration information. There is public access to aircraft registration information. This inconsistency cannot be blamed on ADS-B.

There is no public access to car registration information. There is public access to aircraft registration information. This inconsistency cannot be blamed on ADS-B.
You are correct in that this inconsistency cannot be blamed on ADS-B. However, it is enhanced by the use of ADS-B out. In an era of diminishing recreational aviation the uninformed opposition does not need nor deserve any more ammunition in their quivers.

While it is true that anyone that can visually see an N number can run a search, the difference is that the N number does not 'stay in the sky' after the aircraft passes. Once the aircraft is gone the observer cannot go back and see the aircraft/N numbers. But with a flight following app anyone can have a record of the aircraft, routes/destinations, and identification data, from any home computer. And if the general population has access to this data you know the feds have at least that level of access.
Instead of comparing this to automotive registration, maybe we should compare it to background checks for gun purchases. If an ADS-B signal pops a red flag for something like a near miss or entering prohibited airspace, then the feds have 48 hours to investigate and then the data is destroyed.

Web

It's not just the public .......the concern is with FAA access. Aircraft on IFR or some VFR flight plans voluntarily give up their privacy. For those of us who like to fly
without flight plans outside of rule airspace nobody NEEDS to know who the hell we are.
Imagine if your auto were so equipped.......and the authorities could look at everyone on a big screen. Run a red light, no full stop, 5mph over the speed limit, illegal U turn, etc.
You see where this is going? Google "how to catch a wild pig" :banghead:

Those that are rightly concerned with the privacy aspects of ADS-B out can use UAT 978 anonymous mode and retain most of their privacy. It's not perfect, but it's a viable option for those that want to participate in the ADS-B system without broadcasting their identity.

I don’t disagree with this statement, but I do disagree with handing an arsonist another match.

I have stayed out of this for the most part but can't stand it any longer. Having spent 5 years of my life fighting with the FAA over a mid-air collision in which they claimed I overtook an RV6 in my PA16 and all the lies, manipulation of the facts for no apparent reason leads me to not trust them. Then throw in the Bill Bainbridge and Bob Hoover deals. Then realize those ADS-B tracks are stored forever. I know a group of guys who flew to a major fly in together down a coast line and the FAA tried to strong arm them with violating airspace that wasn't there. Showed the Feds capability and they finally backed down. Also what they did when the wrong N number was entered into an experimental factory built airplane at the factory and part of the 40 hrs flown off prior to discovering it and the lengths they went to via, ADS-B, social media etc. to try and hang the pilot. My 182 has ADS-B and the mission it flies that is fine. My Super Cub does not. I fly it legally but believe it is none of their dam business when and where I go in it. Call me a conspiracy theorist or what ever I don't care. I came to my own beliefs via my own personal experiences. Yes ADS-B was handy going into Oshkosh and seeing a group of airplanes converging on the same entry point which allowed me to slow down way ahead of time to avoid getting into that crowd. Ask yourself why the FAA calls it surveillance equipment on their yearly aircraft questionnaire?

Possible thread drift: since installation of uAvionix TSO Skybeacon my reports have all been red flagged for Mode 3A "Other checks". All flights were squawking 1200 and no flight plan was filed. See below:

View attachment 55945

This is a common issue with the uAvionix units. There isn't anything you need to fix. What's happening is that you are likely in an area that doesn't have good radar coverage, so your transponder is not replying to radar since it doesn't see radar. Without a regular reply on the transponder, the uAvionix unit can't pick up squawk code and pressure altitude from the transponder. The ADS-B station is picking up your UAT output before your transponder is getting triggered, so you get this error until you reach an altitude or area where the transponder is getting triggered to reply. On the tail and wing beacon, it shows up as Mode3A failure. The same issue with the uAvionix Echo UAT shows up as Baro Alt failure. To get a clean check on your unit, perform a test flight in an area where you get good radar coverage down to the ground as indicated by your transponder reply light flashing when sitting on the ground. Your unit will work fine anytime you are in or near ADS-B required airspace as those airspaces always have radar coverage as well.

-Cub Builder

I turned off anonymous mode. Now my buddies can keep a eye on me.

IMG_7202.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7202.jpg
    IMG_7202.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 108
Back