Thread: AOA Indicators

Post Thanks / Like

AOA Indicators

Just curious, anyone using one? It seems popular in other planes but I do not tend to see them in Cub type planes. Any reason? Pro/Cons?

Post Thanks / Like
    The one on the G3x in the S-21 is nice, I like the audible beeps. I do look down at the actual AOA bars occasionally too. I flew a plane without AOA or a stall horn initially, I like more info personally

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply. I too like information but do you actually use the AOA, does it cause you to do something different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aeroaddict View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I too like information but do you actually use the AOA, does it cause you to do something different?
    I do use it, when I get to the last yellow bar I know things are starting to get close to the edge and I either add a bit of power or pitch the nose down. Yes I do look at it. I think the AOA’s that are on top of the glare shield and right in your eye line are the best as you don’t have to look down to see as I do on the G3x. Backcountry182 on youtube has a lot of great info on AOA flying.

Lots here fly by feel, I am not to that point yet, so yes I look at my AOA and my air speeds, especially on final when I need to land short

Post Thanks / Like
    It cost me $199 and a few hours of my labor to add a GAP-26 probe to my G3X. I haven't calibrated it yet but I look forward to playing with it. For what I have into it I can't see any down side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. I use Dynon with the same capabilities for the most part. My issue would be the probe type and installation. My plane has just the basic pitot tube out of the jury strut, so to go to a AOA would require installing an AOA probe, or most likely a pitot/AOA probe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to run a new pitot line to the probe. Static didn’t change. I needed access to the ADHRS unit behind the panel. That was the worst part. I’d think Dynon would have a similar install.

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, just a plug of the line into the ADHRS unit. But for me it would be a whole new probe install. Benefits vs labor I guess.
    Thanks Coondog thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one on my Cessna installed by the previous owner. First of all, none of these GA things are true AOA devices.

When I first bought the plane, I tried to use the thing, but found that, like the airspeed indicator, I can land the plane a LOT better by feel.

Now, the dang thing is just an obstruction on top of my panel. I would never install one of these “sorta” AOA indicators.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Garmin’s is a true AOA. I don’t know about Dynon’s probe.

https://www.flyingmag.com/how-it-wor...ack-indicator/
    Last edited by stewartb; 05-25-2021 at 04:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    MTV, just interested; are you comparing the AOA vanes found on the fuselage sides vs. the pitot/AOA probes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Belite has a true "vane-type" AOA in their Radiant line of instruments. I purchased one, but have not yet installed it, so I can't give a full-on pirep. I'm putting it on a mount that will place the vane itself about 15" in front of the leading edge, roughly in front of the strut, so it should be dead-on accurate once calibrated. I will likely install the gauge itself atop the panel, but over to the left, slightly off-center from the pilot's viewpoint. Still highly visible, but not obstructing vision during landing operations.
    Jim Parker
    2007 Rans S-6ES

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it on the G3X in the Carbon Cubs I have flown. I don't wear them like I do my own Cub and it is just another indicator to help. Works way better than the stall warning horn, circuit breaker gets pulled immediately. Had to ask the dealer what that beeping was, he asked me to describe it. When I told him it started out with the beeps far apart and went to a solid tone when I touched down he said I had it figured out. paid more attention to it when Cathy and I took the FX3 up to Arkansas in the hills with lots of humidity and wind.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Utah-Jay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have yet to experience the G3x solid beep, but they do get very close together

But I’m only a neophyte

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, just a plug of the line into the ADHRS unit. But for me it would be a whole new probe install. Benefits vs labor I guess.
    Not too difficult if you’re motivated. I added a rectangular inspection opening inboard of my selected pitot mast position in the leading edge metal. With the inspection opening it was simple to fit the doublers and to bend the pitot and AOA lines. Threading the new poly tubing wasn’t very challenging. Like I said earlier, the behind the panel work was the hardest chore because of tight quarters. With the Garmin ADHRS I had to re-plumb all three in ports and that included running a new aluminum tube up the door post to the wing root for the AOA line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5998029-14A8-4DF0-8D4A-C9A5C4180E53.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	55917   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5636D22F-FF27-42F4-9BBE-775C3B465656.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	55918  
    Likes moneyburner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pics. Yup, behind the panel is tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    MTV, just interested; are you comparing the AOA vanes found on the fuselage sides vs. the pitot/AOA probes?
    Actually, what I was discussing was the "add on" devices, which consist of an indicator on top of the panel, and a sorta pitot mast kind of thing installed on one wing.

I have never flown with a Garmin G3X.....but that is an entirely different device than the ones I'm referring to. The difference? An ADAHRS to produce all sorts of data that the simple "stick on" devices don't have access to.

So, my unit has what looks suspiciously like a Piper Warrior pitot mast mounted at an angle out on the left wing. That feeds into a dial type instrument (has a needle) mounted on top of the panel. The user adjusts the angle of the "sensor" out on the wing to make the device read where you want it to.

This unit has NO audio, so you literally have to visualize this skinny needle, as it wavers close to the red range, while you're landing. My eyes accomodate between three feet and infinity pretty fast, but not fast enough to make that work on a tailwheel airplane, thank you.

This is an entirely different device than what might be called a "true" AOA device, though. Is the one in the Garmin G3X really a "True AOA" device? I dunno.

But, one of the problems I see with units like this is that they use a single point air data sensor, whereas many if not most "true AOA" devices actually use two or more air data sensors. So, the computer, which is the heart of any "True AOA" device, is able to compare AOA over more of the wing. How critical is that? I have no idea, but I doubt they stick more of these things out there than deemed necessary. Nevertheless, an ADAHRS can offer a lot of data as well, and that may well be good enough in a small airplane.

I also can definitely see the benefits of an aural indication, versus a round gauge on top of the panel with a thin needle. At least one of the "stand alone" devices (ie: units that don't include an ADAHRS) has what is likely a much better display than mine.

So, what I was and am talking about are these "simple" devices, NOT a Garmin G3X.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Got it, thanks