• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Valdez preflight

Seems that a 172 beat all other certified aircraft, PA-18s, Helio and even the Superstol XL. Oops...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

reminds me of those competitive pistol shooting competitions where a guy with a $400 stock glock 17 shows up and outshoots all the $3000 custom 1911’s. Like I said, it’s the ind….uhh…native person, not the arrow. Too bad nobody showed up in C-150 or an ercoupe ;)

Fun to watch though! Thanks for keeping me entertained while stuck in a Hong Kong hotel jail for 2 days!

The 172 pilot put on a hell of a show. Definitely impressive piloting.

The Helio was the most impressive to me. Not only the aircraft itself but the fact the pilot's distances for both rounds were within a half dozen feet of each other on takeoff and landing. Having that level of consistency shows that he was getting 100% of the performance out of that plane each time. Plus having a takeoff and landing distance that was half of the competitor's Cessna 180/185 distances is pretty amazing.

Just a slight correction however: the Helio had the best score of the certified aircraft, followed by the 172 (only 1 foot behind) and then the PA-18's. Guess the Helio guys are going to have to bump up to the bush class next year to level the playing field.

Last edited:
The 172 pilot saw a NXCub and said heck I’ve already got that. And no one said he didn’t. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The 172 pilot put on a hell of a show. Definitely impressive piloting.

The Helio was the most impressive to me. Not only the aircraft itself but the fact the pilot's distances for both rounds were within a half dozen feet of each other on takeoff and landing. Having that level of consistency shows that he was getting 100% of the performance out of that plane each time. Plus having a takeoff and landing distance that was half of the competitor's Cessna 180/185 distances is pretty amazing.

Just a slight correction however: the Helio had the best score of the certified aircraft, followed by the 172 (only 1 foot behind) and then the PA-18's. Guess the Helio guys are going to have to bump up to the bush class next year to level the playing field.
My bad. I was adding best distances instead of pairs.
When I heard the winner of heavy touring was under 200 feet total, I thought it must be a mistake. In 2014 a Helio competed and did well but didn't really shame the Cessnas.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The Helio from 2014 Valdez had the IO-540 engine with a smaller prop than this year's competitor who's plane has the GO-480 with gear reduction swinging a massive 90+ inch prop. That prop and engine combo drags that big plane off the ground impressively well. On the stopping end of things he also has Beringer brakes which made the sub-100ft landings possible.

It also helps that the pilot of that plane has a ton of time in it and can extract every bit of performance out of a Helio.

Back