Thread: Valdez preflight

Post Thanks / Like

Valdez preflight

I am planning on flying my cub to Valdez Wednesday night. If all go's well we have two other pilots/planes that have not done the Whittier route. Any pilots new or old that have not done this route and want to see it in good weather before trying to get to the Valdez fly in this weekend are welcome!! Look at/return by Thompson Pass if people want. We lost a new pilot few years ago due to inexperience and bad weather. Here is a chance to go with someone that has done it before on a good day. If your CFI has not done it or needs money (they all do) bring them along. Plan to have pilot brief 17:45 Wednesday Birchwood pilot shack if predicted weather holds. Wheels up at 1800. Please reply if you are interested.
    DENNY
    Likes SJ, jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What’s your thoughts on fri/sat weather? Does a guy have a chance of getting in?

Post Thanks / Like
    KevinJ
    Right now it looks like you should be able to get in on Friday going through Whittier. Extended forecast in the Valdez area are notorious for being wrong. For years Thompson Pass weather was what you got for a Valdez report I think it is still the same today. Windy is pretty good 48 hours out. Thursday we will have a better ideal of what the conditions will be. The Cams are all up and working so that will give some real time info. What are you flying? Have you been to Valdez in the past?
    DENNY
    Thanks KevinJ thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll talk to you offline Denny. Will probably take you up on an exploratory flight tomorrow.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response Denny. Theres an old cub parked up N of anchorage I’m looking to steal. It is a stole competition, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    I may come in Thurs eve or Fri a.m. Undecided as of yet. Will have our shepherd dog w/me, so that complicates things a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great idea Denny! There is a DOT Road camera at Thompson Pass that has the ground wind speed, I use that along with the camera. While we want to see everyone here, please do not push the weather. Denny is correct, ever since they took weather reporting physically out of Valdez it is now done as part of the Valdez Forecast Area and that is huge and includes Thompson Pass. So if it says "Chance of Rain" that means that there is a chance of rain falling somewhere in that forecast area and the odds are pretty good they are right. You can also see this in predicted temps on iphone apps. The temp is always predicted to be colder than it will be in Valdez because they include the pass. We have never had good weather predicted for the fly in and one year we were basically rained out. I have finally stopped obsessing about forecasts and like Denny says two days out it starts to get real.

Post Thanks / Like
    Today the weather is not looking good at Valdez now, so not a great time to be doing a preflight with new pilots. I am still planing on getting Cub in just not sure when.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    I made it in last night with a few other competitors. Right now some broken clouds but I can see blue skies over Valdez. DENNY
    Thanks flynlow thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl, Colorado-Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing in a C130 tomorrow if the weather holds out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe’s cookout. Tons of food and a good turnout considering the crummy weather….
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60DEB292-94F7-45D5-9811-40DAAEF589FB.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	55942
    Thanks silflexer thanked for this post
    Likes AkPA/18, jrussl, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The drive from Anchorage today was a lot harder than the scud flight on Wednesday. Lost water pump and fan belt on the F350 80 miles out of town. Lucky for me a good buddy is Ford 7.3 diesel expert. He picked up parts from NAPA and was able to get to me within two hours. Pulled me to a rest stop and we swapped out the water pump. Made it in for the end of Joe’s party. DENNY
    Likes jrussl, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ​Good guy for 7.3 fixin’, etc. Maybe you already know Justin.
    https://differentstrokesofalaska.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    The drive from Anchorage today was a lot harder than the scud flight on Wednesday. Lost water pump and fan belt on the F350 80 miles out of town. Lucky for me a good buddy is Ford 7.3 diesel expert. He picked up parts from NAPA and was able to get to me within two hours. Pulled me to a rest stop and we swapped out the water pump. Made it in for the end of Joe’s party. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    They are the go to guys in Anchorage when you can’t figure out your 7.3 problem. Weather still kind of rough right now in Valdese we may do the competition tomorrow on hold waiting for news. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got word from Joe. STOL Competition is postponed until tomorrow. Beach landing for today is canceled.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	B1A5E662-18F5-4FA1-AF58-ECDD61C627C0.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	55954

Name:	C3D15550-3C50-48A3-8591-26E54386BDA1.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	55955

Name:	F21F4C8A-C12F-407F-AE35-A9D9C4C3CD11.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	55956
    Likes AkPA/18 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post

Name:	B1A5E662-18F5-4FA1-AF58-ECDD61C627C0.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	55954

Name:	C3D15550-3C50-48A3-8591-26E54386BDA1.jpeg 
Views:	109 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	55955

Name:	F21F4C8A-C12F-407F-AE35-A9D9C4C3CD11.jpeg 
Views:	105 
Size:	193.5 KB 
ID:	55956
    Current Valdez weather

Post Thanks / Like
    The weather service tells us our best chance for the weather window is between noon and 6pm Sunday. We are going to run the Flour Bombing at noon, STOL at 2 with Gary Ward and Mark Sexton flying aerobatics around that. 21 planes here and a lot of spectators as well. Thank you to everyone who made the effort to come to Valdez!
    Likes AkPA/18 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are the mask required?thinking of flying over tomorrow, what time would arrivals be allowed? Thanks if anybody can respond that would be very helpful. Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Are the mask required?thinking of flying over tomorrow, what time would arrivals be allowed? Thanks if anybody can respond that would be very helpful. Tom
    I think that is covered pretty well here: https://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...ez-2021-Update
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to the Facebook Valdez flying page and look at today’s schedule. Avoid the aerobatic demonstrations and you should be fine for coming in. No rain this morning we can see all the mountain tops around Valdez, we do have high cloud cover, Thompson Pass should be doable. DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw some blue sky overhead at Valdez. Denny
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cubcrafters Carbon Cubs with slats looked like they were putting up some impressive numbers considering the relatively calm winds. ~50 foot takeoffs and ~50 foot landings for Butch Kingston and Toby Ashley. That's with 35's and belly pods.
    Impressive! Shorter than Dan Reynolds in the Chinook! Looked like butch, who won, was running a baby bush with a big shock on the tailwheel stinger too. From what I saw it appeared to be the best performance of any class.

Almost makes me want to convert my FX3 order into an FX2 to ditch the CS prop for slats! I've already been advised by more than one person to do just that, but am probably too tempted by the 135 mph cruise siren song. I'm guessing Butch would dominate with any plane you gave him though, it's the indian, not the arrow. Well done to all competitors, fun to watch!
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Put a little nitrous in that fx3 and it will really work
    Likes Narwhal, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
    Put a little nitrous in that fx3 and it will really work
    Congrats on a strong showing today by you and Denny and congrats Kevin for taking 2nd in your class in a borrowed airplane no less! Impressive!
    Last edited by Narwhal; 05-31-2021 at 03:41 AM.
    Thanks KevinJ thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce, Utah-Jay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Butch was very impressive to watch at Gainesville as well. That is not your Mother's EX2.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The super secret nitrous valve under the front seat confirms it's "not your mother's EX2"

Post Thanks / Like
    Power and light weight to take off is one thing, but consistently posting landings in the 50s is just incredible.
    900 lbs?

And I love the fact that most of the time both Toby and Butch leave the ground from a 3 point.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    1050# ish

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems that a 172 beat all other certified aircraft, PA-18s, Helio and even the Superstol XL. Oops...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Psalms 19:1
    Likes Narwhal liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Seems that a 172 beat all other certified aircraft, PA-18s, Helio and even the Superstol XL. Oops...

reminds me of those competitive pistol shooting competitions where a guy with a $400 stock glock 17 shows up and outshoots all the $3000 custom 1911’s. Like I said, it’s the ind….uhh…native person, not the arrow. Too bad nobody showed up in C-150 or an ercoupe

Fun to watch though! Thanks for keeping me entertained while stuck in a Hong Kong hotel jail for 2 days!
    Likes mam90, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The 172 pilot put on a hell of a show. Definitely impressive piloting.

The Helio was the most impressive to me. Not only the aircraft itself but the fact the pilot's distances for both rounds were within a half dozen feet of each other on takeoff and landing. Having that level of consistency shows that he was getting 100% of the performance out of that plane each time. Plus having a takeoff and landing distance that was half of the competitor's Cessna 180/185 distances is pretty amazing.

Just a slight correction however: the Helio had the best score of the certified aircraft, followed by the 172 (only 1 foot behind) and then the PA-18's. Guess the Helio guys are going to have to bump up to the bush class next year to level the playing field.
    Last edited by Crash, Jr.; 05-31-2021 at 06:13 PM.
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The 172 pilot saw a NXCub and said heck I’ve already got that. And no one said he didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes ak49flyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash, Jr. View Post
    The 172 pilot put on a hell of a show. Definitely impressive piloting.

The Helio was the most impressive to me. Not only the aircraft itself but the fact the pilot's distances for both rounds were within a half dozen feet of each other on takeoff and landing. Having that level of consistency shows that he was getting 100% of the performance out of that plane each time. Plus having a takeoff and landing distance that was half of the competitor's Cessna 180/185 distances is pretty amazing.

Just a slight correction however: the Helio had the best score of the certified aircraft, followed by the 172 (only 1 foot behind) and then the PA-18's. Guess the Helio guys are going to have to bump up to the bush class next year to level the playing field.
    My bad. I was adding best distances instead of pairs.
    When I heard the winner of heavy touring was under 200 feet total, I thought it must be a mistake. In 2014 a Helio competed and did well but didn't really shame the Cessnas.

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands. Psalms 19:1

Post Thanks / Like
    The Helio from 2014 Valdez had the IO-540 engine with a smaller prop than this year's competitor who's plane has the GO-480 with gear reduction swinging a massive 90+ inch prop. That prop and engine combo drags that big plane off the ground impressively well. On the stopping end of things he also has Beringer brakes which made the sub-100ft landings possible.

It also helps that the pilot of that plane has a ton of time in it and can extract every bit of performance out of a Helio.
    Thanks Narwhal, Brandsman thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl, Narwhal, Brandsman, Utah-Jay, silflexer liked this post