• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New STOL mod... kinda

Penguin

FRIEND
KNFL
Finally got my hands on one. The landing performance will be stellar. Maybe not so much on takeoff. 200lbs of lead in the spinner should help.

taillhook.jpg

Attachments

• taillhook.jpg
    taillhook.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 454
The engineering side of my brain wonders how many attach points you’ll need before it stops yanking longeron tubes clean in half.

The higher the deceleration rate you can handle, the higher the pressure you can run on the cable, and the shorter it’ll arrest you.

If I had built Scrappy it would have one.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

The engineering side of my brain wonders how many attach points you’ll need before it stops yanking longeron tubes clean in half.

The higher the deceleration rate you can handle, the higher the pressure you can run on the cable, and the shorter it’ll arrest you.

If I had built Scrappy it would have one.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Deal. Someone get Mike on the horn. If he needs a tailhook for scrappy I know a guy. Of course I'm sure any one he'd build himself would stop a freight train in 10' and weigh about 6 ozs.

But... Wouldn't the weight from the beefed up main gear (required to withstand the stress from the bungee [is that the right word?] during catapult launch) offset the weight of the hook? So CG is fine it's just GW. Pay particular attention to the altimeter, barometer, and thermometer.

I was joking around with someone who said it might be on the TCDS...

*601. Arresting Gear Model UN-11 (installed in accordance with All American Aviation Dwg. 3250) +22 lb. (+65)

Upon installation of the arresting gear device the aircraft must be placarded in the following manner:

(a) The following placard should be located at the control box: "DANGER - Aircraft Arrester, WARNING - Before flight, after use of this gear, the aircraft must be inspected in accordance with instructions in the All American Aviation Handbook of Instructions for Model UN-11 Aircraft Arresting Gear (Piper J3 Cub)."

(b) The following placard should be located at the arresting cord box:"After arresting gear has been used, and before the airplane is again considered airworthy, a certified airplane mechanic or other authorized personnel must visually inspect the entire airplane for any evidence of damage with particular attention to the following points:
(1) Right rear landing gear fitting where the static cable is attached.
(2) Tail wheel and its supporting structure.
(3) Alignment of the aft portion of fuselage.
(4) Tube cluster adjacent to the aft cable fairlead.
(5) Tube structure supporting the "UNOLYN" holding box and firing tube.

After this inspection, the aircraft must be signed off as airworthy."

-- A-691

Back