• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Catalytic converter thefts - they got me

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Last week at our sons college graduation in Springfield Missouri, my catalytic converters were cut out in a well lighted, security camera equipped, new hotel parking lot. The taller trucks are an easy target.

Apparently, they are getting rhodium among other things from them, and there has been quite an uptick in this all over the country.

Cost me a grand to get it fixed at a muffler shop, would have been two grand at Toyota.

Beware!

sj IMG_0192.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0192.JPG
    IMG_0192.JPG
    365.3 KB · Views: 196
Did it run without it? My local muffler shop owner cut me a cool one way strip on his property. Along one fence line is a stack of converters he has been collecting for years. I guess his retirement project.

Did it run without it? My local muffler shop owner cut me a cool one way strip on his property. Along one fence line is a stack of converters he has been collecting for years. I guess his retirement project.

Yes, I drove it two hours back to Bentonville. They only took one side of two (there is a primary and secondary converter, and an O2 sensor that had to be replaced). The check engine light was on due to the missing sensor, but it drove fine was just louder than all get outs. The dudes on Harley's I passed were totally jealous.

sj

You would have fit right in around her with the kids with loud pipes who like to romp on them as they go down the highway in front of my hangar.

I was dreaming about installing a full undercarrige skid plate... or just taping a $100 bill to the converter and hopes they would take that instead....

sj

Yeah, I’d probably tape a bag of arsenic to the converter and label it “Meth”.

You're in Arkansas now, get a Subaru there's no way they can get under it... (future) problems solved, besides that my Outback (Assembled in America by the way) gets 31mpg at 80 on the highway, you're welcome.

A Subaru might become a boat getting out to Sugar Creek under certain conditions. :wink:
I've always been a truck guy but I've been pretty impressed with where it will go since we moved to the Ranch but having cleaned up the unfortunate results I don't do deep water in any vehicle.

I've always been a truck guy but I've been pretty impressed with where it will go since we moved to the Ranch but having cleaned up the unfortunate results I don't do deep water in any vehicle.

In the short time I have lived in AR, I have made more water crossing, towed more overweight trailers, and filled up the back of that truck more than the rest of my life combined!

How does the Subara do with a over 10000# 25' trailer on sandy roads?

sj

In the short time I have lived in AR, I have made more water crossing, towed more overweight trailers, and filled up the back of that truck more than the rest of my life combined!

sj
It would ride just fine on top of said trailer.

I don't know how many have been around anhydrous ammonia, but it will get your attention. I use it for fertilizer and have thought having it rigged up like a windshield washer on the side mirror for car jackers would be cool. Maybe have a string booby trap under your truck that trips a small container of the stuff and I bet they would mover along.

sj

Sounds like you have become a true truck owner and Arkansan. 8)

I don't know how many have been around anhydrous ammonia, but it will get your attention. I use it for fertilizer and have thought having it rigged up like a windshield washer on the side mirror for car jackers would be cool. Maybe have a string booby trap under your truck that trips a small container of the stuff and I bet they would mover along.

When I was about 12, I worked for an aerial applicator and he told me to clean out the storage shed behind the hangar. There was a small very thick plastic barrel in one corner, so as a kid who had not yet had chemistry class I figured a quick whiff would be the best way to find out what it was. It was anhydrous ammonia........ when I finally got up off the floor I went home for the day.

Even as a kid you learn pretty quickly to stay upwind of that stuff.

Back