Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Is this detonation damage?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this detonation damage?

This is a small bore continental that has 87 hours since major overhaul. Plugs were wet with oil, consumption was 1 quart every 2-3 hours and compression was 20. Borescope showed a few lines in the cylinder but when I pulled the cylinder it was seriously scored and the cylinder in front of it had the exhaust valve leaking and was orange. At first I thought carbon buildup but now I am thinking detonation damage. What says the tribe? Tim

oh and these were new superior cylinders
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E4F0178F-8CF1-46D9-B78C-6F73011D4FAD.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	55684  

Post Thanks / Like
    Detonation damage will leave the top of the piston looking like it was sand blasted clean, then beat with a small ball peen hammer. The last engine I tore down that had serious detonation, the rings still looked good, but the top ring groove was seriously eroded around the top ring on the piston. Your photo looks more like galling, like the engine was assembled with +.010" pistons in a standard bore cylinder. FWIW, that doesn't look like the markings I see on a Superior O-200 piston, which is what I am assuming you have there. Looks more like the Continental piston.

Additionally, unless you hopped it up with high compression and/or loads of advance, it's darned hard to get a small Continental to detonate.
    Likes C130jake, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They are superior pistons, I cleaned up the other one next to it with ultrasonic and blasted with walnut shells. When I put it together today, I verified piston part numbers, weighed them, checked ring gaps iaw the superior service letter. I may try to see what superior says. The engine was rebuilt by a shop in Oklahoma and has leaked since day one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like piston slap to me, lots of cold starts maybe. Is the cylinder a new Superior? What did the bore measure and different depths of the cylinder?
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes JeffP, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    New superior cylinder. I did not check the bore on this on, the owner wanted me to install other ones so I did those first. I should be able to get some more pictures later today. First priority is put the engine back together. The airplane is kept in a heated hangar. So if it was cold started, I don’t know how probable it was. Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Saw pretty much the same thing on a C85 last year, looks like standard pistons in oversized cylinders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like someone put connecting rods in wrong to me, so that the squirt holes arent pointing to the opposite cylinder if its a 90 or 0-200.
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    They are superior pistons, I cleaned up the other one next to it with ultrasonic and blasted with walnut shells. When I put it together today, I verified piston part numbers, weighed them, checked ring gaps iaw the superior service letter. I may try to see what superior says. The engine was rebuilt by a shop in Oklahoma and has leaked since day one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks similar to chrome rings on chromed cylinders. What does the screen show?
    2018 R44
    IA/A&P, ATP, SES, CFII, MEI, Rotor PPL (2500 TT)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXI48e1heuo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    looks like someone put connecting rods in wrong to me, so that the squirt holes arent pointing to the opposite cylinder if its a 90 or 0-200.
    i verify that the squirter is pointed at the piston
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	835FB6A7-698F-4303-B526-C1AF5888FBD7.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	55732  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 8GCBC View Post
    Looks similar to chrome rings on chromed cylinders. What does the screen show?
    it’s a filter, I have not got it cut yet. Now I am fighting pushrods, I have only found 2 lengths and I thought there was 4 part numbers. Exhaust valve is not closed with the rocker installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the engine was assembled by the little trolls there at Ogden. Nuff said.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org